Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Garden State 

What grade would you give this film?
A 59%  59%  [ 29 ]
B 24%  24%  [ 12 ]
C 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
D 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
F 10%  10%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 49

Garden State 
College Boy Z

Post Garden State
Garden State

Quote:
Garden State is a 2004 comedy-drama film written by, directed by, and starring Zach Braff, with Natalie Portman, Peter Sarsgaard, and Sir Ian Holm. The film centers on Andrew Largeman (Braff), a 26-year-old actor/waiter who returns to his hometown in New Jersey after his mother dies. The title alludes both to the nickname for New Jersey, and to lines from Andrew Marvell's poem "The Garden" ("Such was that happy garden-state,/ While man there walked without a mate").

It was filmed over 25 days in April and May 2003 and released on July 28, 2004. New Jersey was the main setting and primary shooting location. It was an official selection of the Sundance Film Festival. The film won Hollywood Breakthrough Director of the Year Award at the Hollywood Film Festival.

Garden State was well-received. The film also spawned a soundtrack for which Braff, who picked the music himself, won a Grammy award.

Last edited by zingy on Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:20 am
La Bella Vito

It's really weird, but in a very enjoyable way. I didn't feel obligated to press the stop button on the remote control, and that's saying something. I thought it was well done. Lovely performances by Zach Braff, and Natalie Portman. It's very well developed, and the characters are developed amazingly. I really liked the ending too, and I just loved this movie. Portman shines throughout, and I'm really starting to love her as an actress. She blooms in this, and she's just so comfortable with the camera. I would strongly recommend this for anybody that likes indies, or a great love story

Sat Jan 01, 2005 4:55 am
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

This is an amazing movie. I don't really have much to say but it's one of my favorite films of 2004 and if you haven't seen it yet, check it out ASAP. :wink: - A

Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:48 am
College Boy Z

With all the praise this movie got here, I just had to rent it. I'll watch it tonight.

Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:52 pm
Site Owner

It tends to be a well recieved movie zing. Not many people come away saying I hated it or it was garbage.

However not everyone loves it as much as others.

It is my #1 of all time. I just loved every second of the movie, bought it the instant it hit the DVD shelves, saw it 4 times in theater, and blatently can't get enough of the movie.

A+

:Jump:

Hope you like it.

KJ

Sat Jan 01, 2005 7:56 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

Last edited by zingy on Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:12 am
I just lost the game

It truly is an inspired a and beautiful movie. The best movie of 2004, and one of the ten best movies in the past five years. I wish I could say I love it as much as Eagle.

I highly recommend it to everyone who is over the age of 10. IT has something for everyone. If it's not the offbeat humor that gets you, it's the heartwarming messages the film sends out about love, life, death, and friendship.

A+ easy.

Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:09 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

I waited so long to see this movie, and it was all worth it.

Wonderful movie, my favorite of 2004

9.9/10

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:27 pm
Golfaholic

Seldom does a movie live up to its accolades, but Garden State does. BIG TIME. I can't understand how anyone can not like this smart movie, but to me it means even more. The difference between a good movie and a masterpiece is small and lies within the movie. If you can get emotionally connected to it, it is a masterpiece. And Garden State had me emotionally hooked from the get-go. I laughed, I cried, I cheered. It is not even the best movie of 2004 but one of the best I have ever seen. How a debut writer/director (and such a young one) can do something like this, is beyond me. He even escapes the obvious clichés, like when Portman is revealed to be epileptic you just fear the obvious scene when she has an attack, but it just doesn't happen. (A+++++++)

Last edited by Levy on Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:42 am
We had our time together

Seldom does a movie live up to its accolades, but Garden State does. BIG TIME. I can't understand how anyone can not like this smart movie, but to me it means even more. The difference between a good movie and a masterpiece is small and lies within the movie. If you can get emotionally connected to ot, it is a masterpiece. And Garden State had me emotionally hooked from the get-go. I laughed, I cried, I cheered. It is not even the best movie of 2004 but one of the best I have ever seen. How a debut writer/director (and such a young one) can do something like this, is beyond me. He even escapes the obvious clichés,like when Portman is revealed to be epileptic you just fear the obviousscene when she has an attack, but it just doesn't happen. (A+++++++)

WOW! :shock:

Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:13 pm
Profile WWW
Golfaholic

It is my #1 of all time. I just loved every second of the movie, bought it the instant it hit the DVD shelves, saw it 4 times in theater, and blatently can't get enough of the movie.

I tend to agree with you. I just got the DVD and watched it for the second time in two weeks. Usually I never do that, but I had to know if it really was as good as I thought about it the first time. And it definitely is. I'm really in it right now! This little movie managed to slip in my all-time Top 10 now which is a really hard feat since there are not many movies from the last 10 years in it. This is the second-best directing debut I ever saw. What a masterpiece!! This will do a lot rounds in my DVD player in the years to come...

Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:57 pm
life begins now

Really good movie. Natalie, Zach and Peter are great and Zach does a wonderful job directing also. It gets an A- from me.

Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:15 pm
Profile YIM
Teh Mexican

Great movie, very very enjoyable, beautifuly acted by Zach, Natalie and others!
amazing story, you get attached to the characters

I FREAKING LOVE IT! :D

A

Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:54 pm
Forum General

I was lucky enough to see this baby in theaters. It's an interesting and relatable film on so many levels. Braff and Portman were amazing, and the movie was hilarious in a way not many films are, the humor was so great, and a lot of it I didn't catch the first, and even the second time I watched it. This is definetely a movie I'm happy to say I own, and it's a film I will always remember.

9/10 (A-)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:37 am
Profile YIM WWW
Mr. and Mrs. Smith

I liked it OK, but I DID NOT love it like everyone else. I felt that something was definitely missing. But the performances are fantastic, and I did like the ending.

Last edited by tombraider17 on Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:19 pm
Profile WWW
Lover of Bacon

I *adore* this film, my second favourite of 2004. I think the only word that describes it is REAL. Like others i can't explain why i like it so much, its just.... REAL. I gave it an A (but only because i have never given an A+). I can't wait for it to come out on DVD so i can watch it again.

Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:39 pm
Sbil

I *adore* this film, my second favourite of 2004. I think the only word that describes it is REAL. Like others i can't explain why i like it so much, its just.... REAL. I gave it an A (but only because i have never given an A+). I can't wait for it to come out on DVD so i can watch it again.

I think the following quote from Garden State highlights everything that's so great about it: "I know it hurts, but this is life, and it's real. And sometimes it fucking hurts, but it's life, and it's pretty much all we've got."

The beauty of that quote can't accurately be described by me.

Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:24 pm
Lover of Bacon

Andrew wrote:

I think the following quote from Garden State highlights everything that's so great about it: "I know it hurts, but this is life, and it's real. And sometimes it fucking hurts, but it's life, and it's pretty much all we've got."

The beauty of that quote can't accurately be described by me.

I'm lost for words at that quote, and that's not usually a problem i have! I think once i have the DVD it will become one of the very few films i never tire of watching, like as good as it gets.

Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:35 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

9/10 (A)

Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:05 pm
Profile YIM
Okay, I Believe You But My Tommy Gun Don't

A very unique movie that was very good. However, I felt that Zach did a better job on the romantic side of the story, then he did with the personal demon side, but still a great movie regardless.

I didn't see Closer, but I thought Portamn deserved an oscar nod for this movie.

Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:16 pm
Profile WWW
Award Winning Bastard

Garden State was very charming, sometimes funny, sometimes touching, and very romantic. Great performances!

There was a line in this that was so inappropriate for me to laugh about, considering it was an emotional point when he was telling how his mom was paralyzed, and I can't even recall the exact wording, but it was something like "Who knew my life be so affected by a quarter inch piece of plastic." :lol: I just found the delivery to be really funny. That dog humping his leg at the emergency waiting room was hilarious. VERY well made film. Once again, I'm forced to give a grade that I'm conscious about, but it's very deserving.

A

Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:44 am
Forum General

I think that line was supposed to be funny because I laughed too #-o

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:47 am
Profile YIM WWW
I just lost the game

My mom got the DVD over the weekend at my big heavy blatant recommendations over the past few months. I was worried that the movie would act like most other movies and drop in quality upon the second viewing, and I knew halfway through I was proven wrong. It's even better the second time through :Jump:

I think it even raised about three positions in my all time chart to around spot 20.

Sun May 08, 2005 9:48 pm
Kypade

l do honestly love this film. a lot. honestly, l watch this film more often than any other in my collection, probably, and it never gets old. it's so amazing. the characters make the film. and the acting. the three leads (or 2 leads and Sarsgaard) are all just great. love. not to mention, the music is...amazing. probably my favorite of last year, now, (in the purest sense of the word).

Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:01 pm
Hot Fuss

Great, great stuff. It has a place in my top 100.

A

Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:00 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 116 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next