Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Logan's Run 

What grade would you give this film?
A 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
B 67%  67%  [ 4 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6

Logan's Run 
Extraordinary

Post Logan's Run
Logan's Run

Quote:
Logan's Run is a 1976 science fiction film based on the novel of the same name by William F. Nolan and George Clayton Johnson. It depicts a dystopian future society in which population and the consumption of resources are managed and maintained in equilibrium by the simple expediency of killing everyone who reaches the age of thirty, preventing overpopulation. The story follows the actions of Logan 5, a "Sandman," as he "runs" from society's lethal demand.

The film version, directed by Michael Anderson and starring Michael York, Richard Jordan, and Jenny Agutter, was shot primarily in the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex (including locations such as the Fort Worth Water Gardens and the Dallas Market Center) between June and September 1975. The film only uses the basic premise from the novel (everyone must die at a specific age, Logan runs with Jessica as his companion while being chased by Francis). The motivations of the characters are quite different in the film. It was the first film to use Dolby Stereo on 70mm prints.

Since 1994, there have been several unsuccessful attempts to remake the film.

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:43 am
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Post Re: Logan's Run
I give this an "A" if for anything, the concept of this is interesting in that people in the future who approach the age of 33 are killed.. It's been an awful long time since I've seen this so I can't say much more about it other than it was good for it's time..

Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:48 am
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

An enjoyable pre Star Wars relic which serves up all the classic apocalypse/sci-fi cliches along the way.

Giant Computer with female voice: Check
Wacky plotline dealing with people only living to 30: Check
All the lads in tight clothing and women looking like prospective cheerleaders: Check
Matte images of a decaying Washington Memorial/Capitol building: Check
A bizarre box-bot that tries to freeze the main characters: Check

I do enjoy all the pulp thou and have watched this a few time without ever feeling bored, plus it did inspire a great Family Guy gag.

B

Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:06 am
Cream of the Crop

I can't decide yet on a grade. I just recently re-watched it on TCM, then read the book again...

The models aren't very impressive, considering this was made just before Star Wars (which had some pretty impressive model work).

The story of the book has been so convoluted and the ending was so messed up... Eek!

I think I might go for a C or a D.

Joy

Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:02 pm
Profile WWW
Iron Man

Good movie, considering when it was made ;)

Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:14 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

I dig that old school sci-fi vibe in this Academy Award winning film. Not to mention Michael York in all his glory and Jenny Agutter between Walkabout and An American Werewolf in London. *B+*

Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:16 pm
The Kramer

A decent old-school sci-fi movie that was probably made when a studio head hollered about wanting one of dem Ape Planet movies. It is entertaining throughout, though it loses a lot of steam at the end. And it never really goes anywhere with its main premise of people dying at 30. Is the supercomputer the only one that makes and enforces these decisions? Still, not too bad for most of the runtime. B

Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]