Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 You Only Live Twice 

What grade would you give this film?
A 30%  30%  [ 3 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 5 ]
C 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 10

You Only Live Twice 
now we know

Post You Only Live Twice

Quote:
You Only Live Twice (1967) is the fifth spy film in the James Bond series, and the fifth to star Sean Connery as the fictional MI6 agent James Bond. The film's screenplay was written by Roald Dahl, and loosely based on Ian Fleming's 1964 novel of the same name. It is the first James Bond film to discard most of Fleming's plot, using only a few characters and locations from the book as the background for an entirely new story.

In the film, Bond is dispatched to Japan after American and Soviet manned spacecraft disappear mysteriously in orbit. With each nation blaming the other amidst the Cold War, Bond travels secretly to a remote Japanese island in order to find the perpetrators and comes face to face with Ernst Stavro Blofeld, the head of SPECTRE. The film reveals the appearance of Blofeld who was previously a partially unseen character. SPECTRE is both working on behalf of and extorting the government of an unnamed Asian power, implied to be Red China, in order to provoke war between the superpowers.

It was announced during the Japanese location filming that Sean Connery would retire from the role of Bond; but Connery returned, after a hiatus, in Diamonds Are Forever and the non-EON Bond film Never Say Never Again. You Only Live Twice is the first Bond film to be directed by Lewis Gilbert, who later directed 1977's The Spy Who Loved Me and 1979's Moonraker, both starring Roger Moore. These three Bond films are notable for being epic in scale.
The first Bond film to be released in the northern hemisphere summertime, the film was a great success, with positive reviews and over $111M in worldwide box office, and has been parodied most prominently by the Austin Powers series and its scar-faced, Nehru suit-wearing Dr. Evil.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:42 pm
Profile WWW
Award Winning Bastard

I can suspend my disbelief as much as the next person, but Sean Connery at 6'2" and hairy chested passing for a Japanese guy? Ug...

B-

Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:26 pm
Indiana Jones IV

One of my favourites. I loved the story with SPECTRE attempting to spark a third world war and Blofeld is just an iconic villain (much of the Austin Powers movies rip from this particular Bond film).

A

Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:52 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

Very entertaining. The movie was action oriented and very fast paced.

A-

Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:28 pm
Profile WWW
htm

I sort of laugh seeing some of the special effects, but I really appreciated the scenery here. One of the best Bond songs and scores, and always fun to watch.

B+

Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:25 pm
Superman: The Movie

I think this was the first Bond film I watched. I don't remember how I felt about it at the time, but I like the film. After watching the entire Bond series, you can tell that this was the film where Connery begins to phone it in. He's still very good here, but he comes this close to making Bond into a cartoon. Still though, the film has solid action, great scenery, and another great score by Barry. It gets a little too over the top at times, but it still works. And Donald Pleasence gives the best performance of Blofeld out of the rest of the actors who played him in the series.

B+

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:55 am
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

It's easy to see why Mike Myers used this film as the primary target for spoof in Austin Powers. It's one of the silliest and most laughable Bond flicks, and a further step down in Connery's series. 007 pretending to be Japanese? Are you kidding me? The Japanese scenery is nice, but geez, the way Japanese culture is exploited for the purpose of the film is staggering. The wedding in the middle, which not only slows the film down to a crawl, furthers the chauvinistic mentality of the film. One Bond girl is discarded and replaced by another almost immediately. Although that's usually how it happens in Bond films, the fact that both are 'good' Bond girls and 007 seems not to even notice makes it much worse. Luckily the action scenes are pretty good, and Donald Pleasance gives an iconic performance as Blofeld, so it redeems the film somewhat, but this is still one of the worst Bond flicks I've seen.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:37 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Post Re: You Only Live Twice
Really what I love about the Connery films, is that they were all different. This one being the most different of them all. One locale, no car driven at all. Everything is different but intriguing and exctiing. One of my favorites.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:37 pm
Superman: The Movie

The good: Connery and the action.
The bad: Everything trixster mentioned.

What ultimately wins out for me is the entertainment value. It works on that alone. But, outside of On Her Majesty's Secret Service, it's the one Bond film from the 60's that truly feels like a relic from the 60's (OHMSS feels like a relic based on it's look alone whereas YOLT is relic based on it's attitude and therefor a little worse off in my mind).

*** (B)

1. Goldfinger (1964) - ***** (A+)
2. From Russia with Love (1963) - ****½ (A)
3. You Only Live Twice (1967) - *** (B)
4. Thunderball (1965) - *** (B)
5. Dr. No (1962) - *** (B)

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:51 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

I was enjoying this for quite awhile. It hits just the right tone, being ridiculous but not so much so that the stakes in the story fall to the wayside. The fight scenes are exciting, Connery doesn't rape anyone and I liked the Japanese setting. But then I checked the time, expecting the movie to be nearly over only to see that it wasn't even halfway in yet. This is the main problem with old movies for me, so I can't fault You Only Live Twice too much for not being one of the few that escaped horrible pacing issues. It was still a bummer sitting through most of the second and third acts checked out though. And why did they replace the Bond girl with another one that served the same role? Luckily the final fight scene in the volcano lair was very exciting and it brought the movie back around to being good enough.

Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]