Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 The Prestige 

What grade would you give this film?
A 68%  68%  [ 44 ]
B 26%  26%  [ 17 ]
C 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
D 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 65

The Prestige 
Cream of the Crop

Post Re: The Prestige
Prestige is awesome. I love the fact that both characters are so ambiguous. It's not very clear until the end of the movie which one we should be rooting for. They both do awful things to each other, and in the end even though the movie portrays Bale's character in a more positive light, I can see how people might still like Jackman's character more. His last line in the movie is great and kind of shows the difference between the two.

Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:59 pm
Profile WWW
je vois l'avenir

This has grown on me...when I first saw it in theaters, it was very predictable and I kinda got bored...but I watched it again and it is a very well made film.

----Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (Le Petit Prince)

A Lonely Person is at Home Everywhere.

Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:51 am
100% That Bitch

A

Nolan has yet to dissapoint me, this movie is pretty awesome.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:22 am
now we know

The movie was good, but it was let down by a really easy twist. It was only good because Christian Bale is so watchable. Great actor. Everything he is in is great.

B+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:33 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

This movie is brilliant.

A+

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:20 pm
Keeping it Light

I always loved this film, and having the DVD at home decided to watch it again last night. Remembering some of the plot, it was not all that fresh anymore and it was great to enjoy it all over again. Originally this film primarily interested me because of Bale, and I didn't pay much attention to directors at the time. But Nolan does a fabulous job with this, it's the only Nolan film I have on DVD, one of his and the years best. Besides Bale, Jackman is on the top of his game too and looking back some of the best actors of their generation shared the screen in great fashion. I forgot Rebecca Hall, Andy Serkis and David Bowie have some neat roles in it too. It's a suspenseful story of magician topping magician and remains a delight when re-watching.

A

Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:48 am
Forum General

Watching this for the first time all the way through was actually quite an experience. Bale and Jackman are really on there A game in this and make this story about dueling, rival magicians far more compelling and engaging than it has any right to be. Having a strong supporting cast goes a long way too and I loved how this film showed the stakes involved with doing some of the more dangerous magic tricks. The final twist was pretty great as well, although I kind of saw it coming and it was interesting not knowing which of the two main characters we were suppose to root for until the very end.

A

Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:38 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Who did you root for in this movie? I think the movie tries for Jackman (Which I definitely did, even at the end) I find nothing redeeming about Bale's character

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:05 pm
The Kramer

Bale is a villain from start to finish, Hugh loses himself as the film goes along.

In the books his character (s) don’t realize that they killed Jackman’s wife, and thus their retaliation against all of Hugh’s sabotage attempts are completely just from their point of view.

In the movie they never show any remorse for what they did.

Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:10 pm

This is a spoiler for anyone so please don't read on.

Bale is all about the craft and self sacrifice no matter who gets in the way. But I may be a little fuzzy, but didn't the real Jackman die during the first test and he was murdered by a clone? So his sacrifice was ultimately more heartfelt.

I think I root for all the secondary characters, and I love Caine, who give him credit, guessed the twist the second he heard the trick. Also the discussion of the old magician in the beginning is major forshadowing. Bale is about the meat, Jackman was about the joy that the sizzle brings to other people.

I think there is a lot going on in this movie, but I still prefer the Illusionist. It's just a better fleshed out film in general, which is funny as you'd expect a similar film from Edward Norton in the same year to be the deeper film. Though that films ending when you think about it is equally fucked up from a moral perspective.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:33 pm

Also I just read the plot of the book on wikipedia. I guess the ending answers more of the questions left out fo the film, it's definitely a weaker ending.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5