Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Police Story (1985) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Police Story (1985) 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Police Story (1985)
Police Story (1985)

Quote:
Police Story (Chinese: 警察故事; pinyin: Jǐngchá Gùshì; Jyutping: Ging2 caat3 gu3 si6) is a 1985 Hong Kong action film written and directed by Jackie Chan, who also starred in the lead role. It is the first of the Police Story series featuring Chan as a Hong Kong police detective named "Kevin" Chan Ka-Kui.

Chan began work on the film after a disappointing experience working with the director James Glickenhaus on The Protector, which was intended to be his entry into the American film market.

Police Story was a huge success in East Asia. It won the Best Film award at the 1986 Hong Kong Film Awards. According to Chan's autobiography he considers Police Story his best action film

Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:41 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

This is a masterclass in action choreography and stunt work. The story is paper-thin, but that was testament to the era. This is an action classic. The final mall fight is simply superb, and the other set pieces such as the shanty town opening and the bus scene are just riveting. There really is nothing like a no-cut take for a daring action sequence. Chan is also great here, mixing up the funny with the serious. Maggie Cheung is delightfully gorgeous, too. I'm glad I went back and revisited Police Story. Still a classic of Hong Kong action cinema.

I always preferred the second and third films because I feel there is not only more action but it is better action. We'll see if I feel the same way after a re-watch.

A-

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:02 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Post Re: Police Story (1985)
Very strong opening scene with great action and music. The closing scene could/should have been just as good, but I had trouble re-investing after so much silliness in the middle. I usually like the mix of action and comedy, you just have to find the right balance and Police Story did not. Still pretty solid though.

I'll give Police Story a 6.5/10.

Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]