Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 All the President's Men 

What grade would you give this film?
A 85%  85%  [ 11 ]
B 15%  15%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 13

All the President's Men 
College Boy Z

Post All the President's Men
All the President's Men

Quote:
All the President's Men is a 1976 Academy Award winning political thriller film based on the 1974 non-fiction book of the same name by Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein, the two journalists investigating the Watergate scandal for The Washington Post. The film starred Robert Redford and Dustin Hoffman as Woodward and Bernstein, respectively; it was produced by Walter Coblenz, written by William Goldman, and directed by Alan J. Pakula.

Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:23 pm
Sbil

Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:39 pm
life begins now

A-

Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:27 pm
Profile YIM
Star Trek XI

Very interesting. I thought it would be boring but it was really good.

Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:53 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

It should have won Best Picture that year.

Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:28 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

Well-made, but I felt like I should be taking notes the whole time. B+.

Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:38 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Post Re:
Atoddr wrote:
Well-made, but I felt like I should be taking notes the whole time. B+.

I somewhat agree. It is what it is, a very real, informative, well-acted and shot recreation of Woodstein's case. In fact after reading the novel first, what I imagined was pretty much exactly how it came out on screen. But I'm not looking forward to seeing it ever again.

One thing, I was surprised that they cut off before the rope really tightened around the case. I mean they at least should've shown it beginning to tighten and the testimonies coming out, instead of going straight from the "You've pushed the case back months!" fuck-up to the movie ending 5 minutes later with the rest of the events typed out. I can understand why they did it, as that was the end of Bernstein and Woodward's work in pushing the case, but it still felt anticlimatic.

Anyways, it's very good, but again, it's not one I'll be watching many times out of enjoyment. It's kind of a tough movie to grade in that sense, I appreciate it more than I like it.

3.5/5, I guess.

Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:12 am
Superfreak

Post Re: All the President's Men
hadnt seen in years.

FAN.TAS.TIC.

Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:21 pm
Keeping it Light

The Post made me interested in finally seeing this film. And it's a fascinating story, really well acted, especially from Redford, can't believe he wasn't nominated for this, but the competition seemed stiff that year I guess. It's a good political thriller, but I couldn't help comparing it to The Post too, and it feels less engaging and exciting than that, less slick and more of a slow burn with that.
I wish there would have been more to the ending for Bernstein and Woodward, but the typewriter ending worked well nonetheless. I think Atoddr and Shack's observations to the film are fair, but what still sets AtPM apart from only being very good, is it's combined quality of score, cinematography and scene-setting that captivates in a way just very few films do. Having all the experiences of films that came after AtPM I might not appreciate how good it was at the time it came out, but it certainly has the qualities to be easily considered a classic.

A-

Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:43 am
now we know

Good film. Superb acting by all but obviously Robert Redford and Hoffman more than others. It's scandalous how they were not even nominated at the Oscars but seemingly everything else about the film was! Redford was brilliant. A lesson in subtlety and investment.

It's an important film. Well-made, scripted, and cut together. But I really don't care much about US re-election campaigns and what-not. I am also not up to speed on US political history either, so some things that might be obvious to others were not to me, such as Watergate and a lot of political jargon. The central plot, though, is still easy to grasp due to a shrewdly written script. But this is not one of the best films of 1976. It was a weak year for film, so no worries that it was nominated. Rocky rightly won.

Tue May 14, 2019 7:13 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

High quality flick right here. Sure, it gets a little boring and tedious in the second half, but that boredom and tediousness is a big part of journalism and if these guys hadn't put up with it then we never would have learned the truth about Watergate. The pen was mightier and it brought down an Emporer.

A

Though I do have to wonder, in todays political climate, is there any way in hell Nixon would have resigned? His entire voting bloc woud just keep saying the story was fake news no matter how much evidence the Washington Post dug up.

Sun May 30, 2021 1:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]