Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 Suspiria 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 6 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 4 ]
C 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
D 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 12

Suspiria 
Commander and Chef

Post Suspiria
Suspiria

Quote:
Suspiria is a 1977 Italian horror film directed by Dario Argento, and co-written by Argento and actress Daria Nicolodi. Nicolodi claims the plot was inspired by an experience of her grandmother's. The setting was originally to be a children's school but was later changed to a dance school for older teenagers. It stars Jessica Harper, Alida Valli, Udo Kier, and Joan Bennett in her final film role.

Entertainment Weekly rated the film #18 of its top 25 most frightening movies of all time, saying it had "the most vicious murder scene ever filmed". A poll among critics at Total Film named it as the 3rd greatest horror film of all-time. It was rated #24 on the cable channel Bravo's list of the "100 Scariest Movie Moments".

Suspiria is the first of a film trilogy Argento refers to as "The Three Mothers", about evil forces attempting to break through to the earth and wreak merciless havoc. Argento's next film, Inferno (1980), was the second in the trilogy, and the third is The Mother of Tears.

By a poll of film critics conducted by the Village Voice, Suspiria was named the 100th greatest film made during the 20th century.

The film was the final feature film to be processed in the Italian processing plant of Technicolor before it was closed.

Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:18 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

B - 80%, for reasons discussed in the suspiria foreign thread here:

http://www.worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopi ... 3&start=25

-Dolce

Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:31 pm
Commander and Chef

For reasons discuss in the thread here http://www.worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopi ... 3&start=25

Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:47 pm
Profile WWW
Teh Mexican

C-

Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:36 am
The Antichrist

I can't understand how people can't like this movie. Probably the Usa edition has some problems, or maybe the problems are somewhere else. First, it's one of the few really creepy and scary horrors "recently" made, a great thing if you consider there are tons of horror movies which are only good for a laugh or a yawn (The Hills Have Eyes, Evil Dead, The Grudge, Boogeyman, etc...movies with just a bunch of clearly fake "monsters", useless violence scenes and stupid characters and situations). Second, it has a great soundtrack, while we can easily say many other horror flicks don't even have something that can be remotely called a soundtrack. I'm starting to think its only real problem is that it's not a cult movie or a classic, and that prevents it from getting lots of A's and B's.

A- or A-- (9 or 9.5/10)

Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:49 am
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: Suspiria
Truly one of the best horror films ever made. It's an incredibly visual, visceral experience, and, if you can overlook the poor dubbing and sometimes over-the-top acting, it can be truly frightening. The story is more than adequate for the type of film this is, but it's really not needed due to the barrage of images that assault the viewer. The excellent use of colour and Argento's brilliant camera work are the main reasons why the visuals work so well, but it's the lesser known stuff - like the distinctly witch-shaped shadows during the dog attack sequence - that really makes the film work. And the music, wow. One of the best soundtracks ever composed, horror or not. Not only is it sufficiently creepy on its own, but it fits perfectly with the images on screen. All in all, a wondrously twisted masterpiece.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:34 am
Squee

Unsettling.

***1/2

:glare:

Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:53 am
Cream of the Crop

greatest film of all time

Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:56 am
Profile ICQ
Kypade

Spoiler: show
Quote:
I dunno what I was expecting with this movie, but it wasn't this. Maybe [person who always recommended I see the film] was purposely trying to keep my expectations low (though he was hardly the only person to build this film up while simultaneously tearing it down), but I went into it expecting some seventies cheese fest with terrible dubbing and even worse acting. Instead I found it incredibly...normal. There was minimum cheesiness aside from a few bad effects and the acting was actually quite convincing. I felt with and for this girl far more often than any "bad" acting could ever make possible. And as for the dubbing, once in a while an awful delivery was noticeable during a close up, but for the most part I took the whole thing as being English language.

In fact, the only part of this film that didn't exceed my expectations is the visuals. The colors and lighting and sets and costumes are just as good as everyone says. It truly is remarkable what people can do when they really want to.

Aside from the look, the score deserves the most praise. Much of any scares or creepiness comes directly from it. It's at times dissonant and strange, but it never feels anything but a natural extension of the story and the visuals. It's unique and memorable and could very well be listened to outside the film and enjoyed thoroughly. Really really great.

As for the story and "horror" stuff, it's more Hitchcock than anything else. There's always some sense of evil or wrong lurking, but after from the opening murder, the next 40 minutes (or whatever) is just general build-up, sans gore or horror. It eventually finds its way back towards the supernatural, classic 'horror' stuff, but I was pleasantly surprised with how much care is given to keeping the story believable and interesting. Like I said, the acting and characters are such that when horrific stuff does happen you definitely feel for them, which leads to plenty of tense moments, but for the most part, it was much more tolerable than I'd expected. One of the only things that truly scares me in film is when a character is being chased and it's a close race between their death and escaping out some window or something...even if I don't like the film or the character, these scenes get my heart racing. There's a great example here, and I loved how as soon as she is (and therefor I am) safe she ends up probably worse off.

Anyway, like I said, I don't know what I thought about this film before seeing it, or where I gathered those ideas, but Suspiria was pretty much the opposite. It's truly a great film and by far one of the best 7 bucks I've spent on any dvd (I think they recently put out a 30th anniversary disc, but if you can find the really cheap barebones one still, don't hesitate to buy it.)

Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:01 am
Extraordinary

basically.

but I really, really liked it. like at least 3 times more than I expected to. it can be my second favorite movie about all of them witches that's not really about witches at all.

Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:59 am
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
It is boring yet pleasant to watch. - 7/10.

Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:18 pm
Profile WWW