Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 When Harry Met Sally... 

What grade would you give this film?
A 82%  82%  [ 9 ]
B 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
C 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 11

When Harry Met Sally... 
Sbil

Post When Harry Met Sally...
When Harry Met Sally...

Quote:
When Harry Met Sally... is a 1989 American romantic comedy film written by Nora Ephron and directed by Rob Reiner. It stars Billy Crystal as Harry and Meg Ryan as Sally. The story follows the title characters from the time they meet just before sharing a cross-country drive, through twelve years or so of chance encounters in New York City. The film raises the question "Can men and women ever just be friends?" and advances many ideas about love that became household concepts, such as those of the "high-maintenance" girlfriend and the "transitional person".

The origins of the film came from Reiner's return to single life after a divorce. An interview Ephron conducted with Reiner provided the basis for Harry. Sally was based on Ephron and some of her friends. Crystal came on board and made his own contributions to the screenplay, making Harry funnier. Ephron supplied the structure of the film with much of the dialogue based on the real-life friendship between Reiner and Crystal. The soundtrack consists of standards performed by Harry Connick, Jr., with a big band and orchestra arranged by Marc Shaiman. Connick won his first Grammy Award for Best Jazz Male Vocal Performance.

Columbia Pictures released the film using the "platform" technique, which involved opening it in a few select cities, letting positive word of mouth generate interest, and then gradually expanding distribution over subsequent weeks. When Harry Met Sally... grossed a total of US$92.8 million in North America. Ephron received a British Academy Film Award, an Oscar nomination, and a Writers Guild of America Award nomination for her screenplay. The film is ranked 23rd on AFI's 100 Years... 100 Laughs list of the top comedy films in American cinema and number 60 on Bravo's "100 Funniest Movies". In early 2004, the film was adapted for the stage in a production starring Luke Perry and Alyson Hannigan.

Do we have a hating against Rob Reiner movies at this site or something? Why the shit is there no thread for this movie?

A

The best romantic comedy ever, imo.

Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:12 pm
Top Poster

Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:47 am
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: When Harry Met Sally
It's got some great, witty dialogue, and a few iconic moments, but I feel that the story never really picks up and then it just ends. Crystal and Ryan are great together, but the supporting cast doesn't add a whole lot and it's not as funny as it could be. Not as good as Sleepless in Seattle or The American President.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:38 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Wonderful and charming.

A-

Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:48 pm
Profile YIM
On autopilot for the summer

Apart from the silly "real life romances" thrown in between, this is a flawless romantic comedy from start to finish with two great leads. A+ all the way.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:52 am
The Lubitsch Touch

Funny and sweet. It also looks great. But it never completely overcomes its basic "poor man's Annie Hall" nature.

Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:47 am
Cream of the Crop

Post Re: When Harry Met Sally...
saw this yesterday for the first time and found it just ok. i laughed a few times but i was also glad that it wasn't longer than 90 minutes. besides being a poor man's annie hall, i also found this to be a poor man's hannah and her sisters. reminded me a lot of the relationship between woody and his ex-wife's sister in that movie.

B-

Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:12 am
Profile ICQ
KJ's Leading Pundit

A-

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:01 am
Wallflower

Best romantic comedy of all-time. A+

Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:59 pm
now we know

I knew it was a classic but I always thought it would be one of those overrated ones. The way that literally every single person says they love it always rubbed me the wrong way, so instead of watching it and seeing for myself I just turned to other films. How wrong I was! Damn, it is perfect. The quintessential romantic-comedy. It does not put a foot wrong. Well, I could've done without the real-life interludes, but I sort of liked the contrast. Anyway, Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan are sensational and the relationship progression is adorable and real. The dialogue is crisp and sharp, and don't you just wish you were as quick-witted when you're conversing with the opposite sex? It's very funny too. The infamous fake orgasm scene had me in hysteric laughter because of Crystal's reaction. It was the only scene that did make me actually laugh out loud, but I don't see that as a criticism. The rest of the film is still charmingly engaging and/or endearingly heartfelt.

Tue May 21, 2019 9:16 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

This was wonderful. I never watched this before other than a few snippets here and there. I was pleasantly surprised, Meg Ryan and Billy Crystal are great in this and their relationship is given enough time to evolve into something meaningful. I can really see why it is a classic and how SO MANY movies have used concepts from this.

Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:21 am
Keeping it Light

Another film generally labeled as iconic which I only finally got to seeing now. And it definitely lives up to that billing, the cast and script are great and the totality of it easily makes it one of the best rom-coms I've seen. Cyrstal and Ryan are both at their best and they make such a good pairing, also Reiner was just on an incredible roll at the time delivering something special with this as well. I was only just a bit bothered by Ryan's very melodramatic reaction to her ex getting married, like I get the emotion in it self, but way of it still felt awkward. Other than that just a very well executed film, from the performances, to the score, certain scenes and dialogue, it just falls into place to become something memorable.

A-

Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]