Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Mission: Impossible III 

What grade would you give this film?
A 36%  36%  [ 21 ]
B 37%  37%  [ 22 ]
C 19%  19%  [ 11 ]
D 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I don't plan on seeing this film 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 59

Mission: Impossible III 
Extraordinary

How anyone can see this film and then call JJ Abrams a genius is beyond me.

I thought the same thing when you said The Grudge was the scariest film you'd ever seen in a movie theater :nonono:

Sat May 06, 2006 8:33 pm
The more I think about it, the more the complete downfall of the film is because of the domestic homelife angle. I can bitch about the visuals but I was impressed with the Vatican scene and I liked the use of the IMF team.

Mission Impossible is not Alias.

Sat May 06, 2006 8:39 pm
On autopilot for the summer

I agree, JJ Abrams did good, but only for a TV directore, I feel it could have been better with a better rewrite, though he still did a great job compared to Woo (Who I love)

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sat May 06, 2006 9:19 pm
You must have big rats

The more I think about it, the more the complete downfall of the film is because of the domestic homelife angle. I can bitch about the visuals but I was impressed with the Vatican scene and I liked the use of the IMF team.

You know, I feel the same way as you, but thankfully, the domestic angle was very short. However, my general thinking is that M:I films are like Bond films. You just have a hero who goes on a mission and kicks the bad guy's butt. That's it. It simply does not need to go beyond that.

Sat May 06, 2006 9:25 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon wrote:

You know, I feel the same way as you, but thankfully, the domestic angle was very short. However, my general thinking is that M:I films are like Bond films. You just have a hero who goes on a mission and kicks the bad guy's butt. That's it. It simply does not need to go beyond that.

I guess we differ on its length. :tongue:

For me, it went from the flash forward opening all the way through to the awful ending. In between, we were lucky enough to get the Vatican and Bridge sequences.

The good thing about Bond films (thus far) is that they follow a very specific structure.

Sat May 06, 2006 9:30 pm
You must have big rats

Dr. Lecter wrote:
loyalfromlondon wrote:

I guess we differ on its length. :tongue:

For me, it went from the flash forward opening all the way through to the awful ending. In between, we were lucky enough to get the Vatican and Bridge sequences.

The good thing about Bond films (thus far) is that they follow a very specific structure.

Which the upcoming one is supposedly about to break considering what I read thus far.

The only scenes that bothered me were the "marriage", the engagement party and the very ending.

Then again, the Bridge sequence is the best pure action sequence in a couple of years.

Sat May 06, 2006 9:42 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Did anyone else think Kanye ruined the theme?

Seriously. Limp Bizkit's was better. Talk about stale and uninspired.

I agree.

Sat May 06, 2006 9:43 pm
Profile WWW
The Greatest Avenger EVER

MISSION IMPOSSIBLE III: 11:30 AM Showing with around 6 people in the theatre in a 275 seat auditorium on a Saturday.. Now, I haven't looked at the Daily's yet, but in no way did this movie do very well on Friday and I'm willing to bet Saturday alone as well.. Anyhow, I thought the movie was DEFINITELY better than that Godawful piece of Dung known as MI:2 Directed by MTV and showcasing Cruise's shoulder length hair and Superstar smile.. MI:3 Felt Good, especially with the original TV Show Theme thrown in to make it FEEL like the TV Show and that opening sequence when Hoffman counts to 10 and Cruise screams and the wick goes off, that felt just like the TV Show.. THAT Ladies and Gentlemen is what I like, but the story to this movie and the movie itself with all the awesome elaborate stunt work required quite the suspension of disbelief, because I counted several times where Tomkitten would've been toast, BUT it is Mission Impossible and I have to remember that.. I thought Phillip Seymour Hoffman was very convincing as the arms dealer and much so in that opening scene which was pretty intense.. However, I can't help but to think that really, any actor could've played that role and he was used basically to showcase his Oscar win and add some zest to the Cast, but he was good and I thought he was used perfectly and not too much.. The rest of the IMF Team were good and the Asian Chick in the red dress in that kick ass car she was driving was lucious.. I thought the 1 scene where Maggie Q got shot in the neck would've kiled her, but 10 Minutes later, there was no sign of any injury or blood around where she got shot as though it never happened and Cruise: Cruise gets pretty well slammed around in this movie ALOT and yet, barely comes away from it without so much as a blemish, :-k but when he's tied up in the beginning with tears welling up in his eyes, begging for his life and his wife, that's GOOD...

Overall, this was pretty entertaining and well worth $7.00 Bucks.. Definitely better than MI:2 but not quite as good as the 1st movie, but close.. Hard to really pinpoint a grade on this movie, but for now, I'd say a "B+" is suffice..

Sat May 06, 2006 9:53 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

Glad that you liked it, BKB, but didn't you give the original a B, like, yesterday?

BKB_The_Man wrote:
I gave this movie a "B".. Initially, I had to watch this 2 times for the confusing plot which went over my head and I think alot of others as well when this was released, but the thing of it was, is that I grew up watching the TV Show MISSION IMPOSSIBLE and despite having a confusing plotline, I thought it did a Brilliant job of keeping that Cold War Feel and the overall feeling of the TV Show..

Sat May 06, 2006 9:59 pm
College Boy T

got strip clubs playin gosspital
girl so sick in the hospital
you know I jumped out like pakadu
I only break it down I when I rock wit you
Since Michael Jackson made rock wit you
I done did shit on logical
maybe cause we did the impossible
maybe we done did the impossible

Sat May 06, 2006 10:24 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Glad that you liked it, BKB, but didn't you give the original a B, like, yesterday?

BKB_The_Man wrote:
I gave this movie a "B".. Initially, I had to watch this 2 times for the confusing plot which went over my head and I think alot of others as well when this was released, but the thing of it was, is that I grew up watching the TV Show MISSION IMPOSSIBLE and despite having a confusing plotline, I thought it did a Brilliant job of keeping that Cold War Feel and the overall feeling of the TV Show..

Read closer, it says initially and then says how brilliant it was. I was the same way, I went to the bathroom when Phelps first appeared and was like a blind kid trying to light a match. Ohh Sorry

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sat May 06, 2006 10:38 pm
You must have big rats

So, BKB's final grade for the first M:I film is an A?

Sat May 06, 2006 10:49 pm
Profile WWW
Its impossible

I'm a fan of Kayne but that's shit.

Sat May 06, 2006 11:22 pm
The Greatest Avenger EVER

BKB_The_Man wrote:

I realize that, but for the moment, the movie is still sort of sinking in to where this was the grade that came to mind.. I'll have to really weigh out the Pro's and Con's of both movie's to guage a better grade I suppose through time..

Sat May 06, 2006 11:25 pm
Profile WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

da torri wrote:
Its impossible

I'm a fan of Kayne but that's shit.

I hate Kanye and that song soldified it.

Sun May 07, 2006 12:11 am
Christian's #1 Fan

Zingaling: A (http://www.worldofkj.com/reviews/Zach/MissionImpossible3.php)
Thompsoncory: A- (http://www.worldofkj.com/reviews/Cory/MI3.php)
RogueONE: B (http://www.worldofkj.com/reviews/Schade/mi3.php)

Heh.

Sun May 07, 2006 3:09 am
Team Kris

M:I:3 gave me what just what I was expecting, lots and lots of explosions. And thats a good thing. I miss the days of the non-stop action blow em up movies of Bruckheimer (The Rock, Con Air) and this movie felt just like it. The opening scene immediately grabbed my attention and made the "Tom Cruise" nut job personaltit fade and the Ethan Hunt character to set in. The plot felt tired and old with the US helping terrorists (24 season 5 anyone?) but the action was the best in years. I was a little let down with the ending with no big climatic moment like the first two movies had with Hoffman's character getting killed way to easy. All in all it was what I wanted.

B+

Sun May 07, 2006 3:15 pm
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

the most horrible thing about MI3 is when the film ended, not even its ending. that kanye song came on and i wanted to piss all over the people to my right.

Sun May 07, 2006 3:23 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

That was all kinds of awful, everyone was rushing out the door when they heard that song.

Sun May 07, 2006 3:32 pm
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Location: A place, where birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/vine/jour ... iew=public

1 billion, come on hit me!

Wed May 10, 2006 6:31 pm
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

the most horrible thing about MI3 is when the film ended, not even its ending. that kanye song came on and i wanted to piss all over the people to my right.

Mmmm thats pretty scary. i left the cinema right at the end and don't remember the song. It's like background noise to me. Original MI score is the only right one.

Wed May 10, 2006 6:41 pm
Waitress in LA

Pretty good and a big step up from MI2 but I was a tad disappointed in the end. I like JJ Abrams and am addicted to Lost but I wonder if this would've been better off in the capable hands of a veteran action-thriller director. But as it stands, I still enjoyed it and hopefully it'll do well enough overseas and on DVD to warrant a sequel. This series still has more potential but I wonder if we've seen the last one. B-

Thu May 11, 2006 8:04 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

It was fun, but for all the hype surrounding Abrams's impressive TV-to-film turn, I found it incredibly generic. Absolutely nothing surprising in terms of action, character, plot. I didn't even think Hoffman was as deliciously fun as he's been touted as.

As a huge fan of Alias, I can't fault Abrams for retaining some of his TV techniques in his transition to film, but something about the framing of the shots just seemed off. Works great on TV but seemed a little incompatible on the big screen.

I liked the Keri Russell scenes, though.

B-

Sun May 14, 2006 1:46 am
Profile WWW
The French Dutch Boy

Great summer film. Really, it had everything I would have come to expect, and maybe that's why I enjoyed it. All I wanted was some good ol' summer action. The film had some great scenes, action flowed well, it was all entertaining and fun. And Hoffman is a killer cool badguy. He just oozes with coolness/badguyness in his lines. Hehe.

B-

PEACE, Mike.

Mon May 15, 2006 9:42 pm
Top Poster

B- also. Least favorite Mission: Impossible movie so far. Maybe I've been spoiled by the fast paced action of TV's 24, but this film seemed to drag along slowly and was less fun in comparison. There were a couple of good sequences in this film though, just not enough.

Tue May 16, 2006 3:44 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next