Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Dumbo 

What grade would you give this film?
A 73%  73%  [ 8 ]
B 18%  18%  [ 2 ]
C 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 11

Dumbo 
College Boy Z

Post Dumbo
Dumbo

Quote:
Dumbo is a 1941 American animated film produced by Walt Disney and released on October 23, 1941, by RKO Radio Pictures.

The fourth film in the Walt Disney Animated Classics series, Dumbo is based upon the storyline written by Helen Aberson and illustrated by Harold Pearl for the prototype of a novelty toy ("Roll-a-Book"). The main character is Jumbo Jr., a semi-anthropomorphic elephant who is cruelly nicknamed "Dumbo". He is ridiculed for his big ears, but in fact he is capable of flying by using his ears as wings. Throughout most of the film, his only true friend, aside from his mother, is the mouse, Timothy — a relationship parodying the stereotypical animosity between mice and elephants.

Dumbo was made to recoup the financial losses of Fantasia. It was a deliberate pursuit of simplicity and economy for the Disney studio, and at 64 minutes, it is one of Disney's shortest animated features.

Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:14 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Dumbo
A

One of the best movies ever, animated or not. One of the biggest tear jerkers, animated or not also. :(

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:17 pm
Profile WWW
Aspiring Director

Corpse wrote:
A

One of the best movies ever, animated or not. One of the biggest tear jerkers, animated or not also. :(

Agree completely, I didn't realize how short it was until watching it recently with my kids.

A all the way.

Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:55 pm
Profile WWW
Hatchling

i saw this movie today for the first time in 15 years, and its still great. the parade of the pink elephants is just too good. i give this film a straight A.

Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:19 pm

Disney animation was just terrific in the early 1940s, so much of it is like watching a moving painting. Then the 1950s rolled around and it all began running down hill, the 1960s were a slight bump up in the right direction, then Disney died and it went right back downhill until the 1990s which parallel the 1950s except that the songs were better in the 90s, and then it hit rock bottom in the 2000s. Still none come close to the art that was the 1940s.

Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:44 pm

However, this is nowhere near as good as the two masterpieces of Fantasia and Pinocchio from the Golden Age Disney films, but is certainly less annoying than Bambi (though nowhere near as artistic outside of the hair raisingly terrific Pink Elephant on Parade sequence) and overall better than Snow White.

B

Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:13 pm
No Wire Tampons!

One of my top 3 favourite animated movies ever, i think, after the lion king and maybe Wall-E

Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:11 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Damnit, Jiffylush fools me again.

I was like, what, I don't remember writing that, nor do I have kids.

But I still agree! A.

Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:23 am
The Kramer

This seems like it could have been in Fantasia. There's little plot to speak of, but a bunch of very nice visual skits set to circus music. It is much better than anything in that snoozer though. The Pink Elephants bit is epic.

The crows ... are an issue. It is super racist, but they are also the only characters outside the main trio that show any sympathy towards Dumbo and are key to helping him achieve his dreams.

A-

Thu May 28, 2020 2:05 pm
Hold the door!

This movie is decent but definitely a step down from Snow White and Pinocchio. It was intentionally low budget so it’s hard to compare them though. Considering what they were working with, Dumbo is still very cute and the scenes with Dumbo and his mom are heartbreaking, even if the film ends up low on plot following their separation. The segments with the pink elephants and the crows (who are positively portrayed, I fail to see how it’s racist if they’re being portrayed as positive influences) are memorable, but the narrative doesn’t quite flow.

Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]