Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 The Incredibles 

What grade would you give this film?
A 71%  71%  [ 32 ]
B 16%  16%  [ 7 ]
C 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 9%  9%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 45

The Incredibles 
College Boy Z

Post The Incredibles
The Incredibles

Quote:
The Incredibles is a 2004 computer-animated action-fantasy-comedy film about a family of superheroes who are forced to hide their powers. Heavily influenced by Atlas Shrugged and the Watchmen, it was written and directed by Brad Bird, a former director and executive consultant of The Simpsons, and was produced by Pixar and distributed by Walt Disney Pictures. The starring voices are Craig T. Nelson as Bob Parr, a superhero called "Mr. Incredible" who is forced to give up saving people's lives; Holly Hunter as his wife; Sarah Vowell as their teenage daughter; Spencer Fox as their young son; Jason Lee as Mr. Incredible's most avid fan; Samuel L. Jackson as Bob's friend; and Elizabeth Peña as the beautiful assistant of a vengeful supervillain. Bob's yearning to help people draws the entire Parr family into a battle with the villain and his killer robot.

The film won the 2004 Annie Award for Best Animated Feature, along with two 2004 Academy Awards, including Best Animated Feature and Best Sound Editing. It also received nominations for two other Academy Awards, won a 2005 Hugo Award, and was nominated for Best Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy at the 2004 Golden Globes.

Last edited by zingy on Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:53 pm
Site Owner

I go see this saturday afternoon. Can't wait.

KJ

Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:31 pm
Profile WWW
Hot Fuss

Important trailers-
Cars- BLAH. Horrible.
National Treasure - some buzz
Lemony Snicket- lots of buzz. we have a big hit on our hands
Star Wars - ROTS - *shock* It was beautiful on the big screen. The crowd thought so, too. ;)

Theater - 350 seater - biggest we have, its mostly 250 staduim seaters...

It was 9:45 and it was sollld out.

The crowd loved the movie. I liked the retro and fun feal to it. Good story, top notch cgi, and right up there with Nemo imo. Maybe a wee bit better. I give it an A.

Sat Nov 06, 2004 9:49 am
Profile YIM WWW
College Boy Z

Pixar is a very talented company. Over the years, they have made computer generated kids films that have set a new standard for animated films. Whether it's their brilliant stories, lovable characters, or just that they give a fun ride to the viewer, they have become the best in computer-animated films, and their movies have topped box office charts worldwide. Dreamworks is their main competition, and though they have made some nice kid flicks, none compare to the works of Pixar. Usually, Pixar always improves on every film. Last year, they had the hit movie, Finding Nemo, which was a delightful kids movie though not their best in my book. This year, they have The Incredibles. I didn't find it Incredible, but I must say that they have improved over their other movies significantly, and they deserve a pat on the back for this one.

The Incredibles focuses around the main character, Bob Parr, or Mr. Incredible. Once the top super hero of his time, he went into retirement after a handful of crazy lawsuits. He marries Helen, a fellow superhero named Elastic Girl. She can stretch into many different positions. Many years later, both are retired, working, and have 3 kids. All 3 children have their individual superpowers. Violet Parr, the oldest girl of the family, has the ability to become invisible and use force fields. Dash, the boy of the family, is super quick. The youngest baby has powers, though he cannot use it because he is so young. So now, you have a family of super-heroes who must keep their real identity a secret and blend in with society. But Bob wants to fight crime. So, when he hears about a mission available, he jumps to the case, only to find himself fighting his former #1 fan, Buddy Pine, or Syndrome.

Animation-wise, The Incredibles prevails over all else. Some scenes are gorgeous, some scenes are beautiful, but no part of this movie looked bad. The animation is perfect. Perfect. This movie is the animated version of James Bond, plain and simple. Some of the action sequences, mixed with the beautiful animation, make them very intense and exciting. In terms of comedy, I think this movie wasn't weak, but kind of disappointing. The one reason I go to see any animated films is to laugh, and while I did laugh in this one, not as much as I thought I would. Some scenes were a little slow, and it may take a little while to get to the action sequences, though it is worth the wait. Like I said, this movie isn't incredible. There are a few flaws, but those flaws are my own personal opinion of the movie. The fact that I didn't laugh to much is a flaw to me. That's not the case for everyone. Some people may laugh until they fall to the floor. I did not. But, this movie is one hell of an entertaining animated flick, and the perfect movie for the holiday season. If you are looking for something to watch this Thanksgiving or Christmas that will put a smile to your face when you walk out, go watch The Incredibles.

My Grade: B+

Review Page: http://www.worldofkj.com/Zingaling-Incredibles.php

Last edited by zingy on Fri Dec 24, 2004 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Nov 06, 2004 5:26 pm
College Boy T

Zingaling, you suck. Keep that in your mind.

Sat Nov 06, 2004 6:25 pm
Extraordinary

WOW. This is one of the best films of the year and Pixar's best film. From the previews I was a little turned off so this film was a hell of a surprise. Very entertaining, funny, and the animation was GORGEOUS. The Incredibles is one of hell of an incredible movie.

- A

Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:53 am
---------

The Incredibles was a very interesting movie to watch. There are many slow, maybe even boring parts during the movie where you think, "Isn't there supposed to be some action?". But just be patient. The action scenes are some of the most intense ones I've ever seen. Pixar perfects each of the superhero's powers on film to the fullest. They do everything possible with their powers. The fast kid and Frozone were great.

My only other complaints is the recurring environment and lack of real big comedy. The super high-tech base kept being the starter of every scene and it got boring, because it was all gray and silver, but maybe it was just me. In comedy, there's only of couple genuinely funny parts in there, but mainly it's just a heartwarming sweet movie.

Grade: 89.8 , B+

Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:29 pm
King Albert!

The Incredbiles is something that Disney doesn't do anymore, good storytelling and State of the Art animation. I am not usually a fan of CGI, but this kind of stuff is impossible to do if hand drawn. Just like what Frank and Ollie say at the end: "Old school meets the new school." What they mean is old fashion story telling with new school technology. Lots of fun, and hilarious, this is one movie that should not be missed.

**** (out of ****).

Sat Nov 13, 2004 5:17 pm
Profile WWW
Kypade

it was enjoyable enough, l guess, with great animation, and a good story. l dint really find it that funny, though, and overall just wasn't very impressed... :oops: :? :oops:
B

Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:45 pm
Okay, I Believe You But My Tommy Gun Don't

I think this movie was fantastic, one the best of 2004. However, I do not see it has good as Finding Nemo, because it is not what you expect. The Incredibles to me is not a kids movie, but more a tween movie, since it lacked the innocence and heart that Nemo and Monsters Inc., but it still is the second best superhero movie of all time....Batman still number 1.

I HATE MICHAEL BAY

Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:13 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

I must be in the minority, I HATED this movie. I like all Pixar films, but this was just terrible. It was even boring, which was a huge surprise. It is definetely no Finding Nemo. Here's hoping that there won't be a sequel to this.

3/10 (D-)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:05 pm
Profile YIM WWW
College Boy Z

Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:27 pm
Extraordinary

Excellent movie. Might be Pixar's peak...I don't see where they can really go from here. Only needed a bit tighter editing especially during Dash scenes. Official review has already been submitted and will be up shortly,

A-

Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:03 pm
Veteran

Grade F

Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:35 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:15 pm
Profile WWW
La Bella Vito

Overrated and Joyless!!!

Grade F

Damn dude do you like anything? :lol: :roll:

Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:04 am
Profile YIM WWW
Veteran

jb007 wrote:
Overrated and Joyless!!!

Grade F

Damn dude do you like anything? :lol: :roll:

I like a lot of movies. I liked Nemo, but not this turkey though :)

Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:35 am
Profile WWW
We had our time together

Wow. I don't expected to like it at all. The action was outstanding. Very original. It wasn't nearly as funny as Finding Nemo (my favorite pixar film) tough. B+

Last edited by Riggs on Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Dec 11, 2004 12:08 pm
Profile WWW
Teh Mexican

Hopefully i will see it Friday, yay for me!!!! :D :D

Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:37 am
life begins now

Probably my 3rd favorite Pixar film, lol. Right behind FN and Toy Story 2. Definently something I'm gonna buy when it comes out. A

Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:21 pm
Profile YIM
Veteran

I took my children to see this a couple of days ago and we all really enjoyed it. When we were walking out of the theater, one of my children began to pretend she was Dash and ran as fast as she could. In the car on the way home, they argued over who got to be Violet because she had such cool powers. In other words, they really liked it and so did I.

It doesn't fit into the formula that Pixar has developed and that's a good thing. I've liked all of Pixar's movies, but they all seem to be almost predictable. This was a good departure and though it lacked a lot of humor, it was very good. CGI can certainly provide some great action scenes. It can also make something that might otherwise appear ridiculous look ok, like a hero's stretching abilities (I'm dreading Mr. Fantastic in the upcoming Fantastic 4 movie).

Overall, very good and I'm ready for the sequel. I rate it an A-.

Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:21 am
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

I got a chance to finally see this last night, and I have to say that I enjoyed the film very much. For a kids movie, this one contained some very intelligent dialouge which surprised me very much. However, it's still not on the same level as the first two Toy Story films.

Grade: A

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:00 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

One of modern animation's crowning achievements. This does not quite come close to Spirited Away (hardly anything does), but in terms of CGI, this is a new benchmark. Finding Nemo was more consistent, but there are moments in The Incredibles that go beyond anything we have witnessed from that sub-genre. The film verges on being profound, and while it doesn't quite reach as deep a level as the old Disney classics, it is nevertheless a superb achievement.

A-, one of the best films of the year, and more than that, along with Spider-Man 2, a prime candidate for best super-hero related cinematic achievement.

And let me go further: this is the animated film we the world has been waiting for to help elevate animation to the status of a legitimate genre for ALL ages, and not just for children in North America, something Japan has always known and France appreciated. This is absolutely NOT a children's film, in no way, shape or form. It might give off the illusion of being one, but it is a very serious film.

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

My Box-Office Blog: http://boxofficetracker.blogspot.com/

Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:28 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

A great film, especially the second half. Pixar took animation into another level. It's Spider-Man, Indiana Jones, and 007 all rolling into one. My second A of the year.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:13 am
Profile WWW
Kiera Knightly is my lady!

The Incredibles is the most recent of Disney/Pixar films. It is a fun movie like all of there movies. Has a great screenplay, characters, and lots of fun! This is a great family film, and if you enjoy superhero movies, you'll enjoy this more!
A
10/10

Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:00 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 74 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next