Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 The Incredibles 

What grade would you give this film?
A 71%  71%  [ 32 ]
B 16%  16%  [ 7 ]
C 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 9%  9%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 45

The Incredibles 
Squee

You people disgust me.

****/****

I will echo your disgust remark.

You people need to look in the mirrors and discover why you're taking out your frustration for your lack of funnyness on such a good movie as The Incredibles.

:glare:

Sun May 13, 2007 5:33 pm
Extraordinary

Positive* Jon wrote:
You people disgust me.

****/****

I will echo your disgust remark.

You people need to look in the mirrors and discover why you're taking out your frustration for your lack of funnyness on such a good movie as The Incredibles.

Yow. I think we're going to have to keep a closer eye on Squee's psychology in future...

Sun May 13, 2007 7:05 pm
Speed Racer

I would just like to throw a sentence out there and see if it sparks some decent conversation.

" I am respect Pixar because they had a very strong message in this movie, that does not really resonate with mindset of today's culture. The message of the film to me was, that some people are naturally better than others."

I think people read too much into the whole "supers" idea. The spirit of the film seemed to make super powers into a secret geekiness/ personal eccentricity rather than natural superiority. If anything, I felt that the treatment of the subject matter made being a superhero borderline mundane. As far as Mr Incredible goes, you could tell a similar story of nostalgia and lost glory by replacing "being a superhero" with "being a high school quarterback" or "being a former soap actor". The importance of Mr Incredible was not the fact that he used to be a superhero, but the fact that he feels inferior to his own past self - to the point where he lets his past become more important than the present, and nearly loses the latter in a lame (undignified) attempt to recapture the former.

And as for the kids, having super powers was just like being a "brainiac" - a trade off between social acceptance and the capability to succeed. They made me think of children who get bullied because their parents make them learn piano (the same children who, a decade down the line, wow the ladies by walking into a bar that happens to have one, and knocking out an improptu jazz number).

Rather than saying that

"the message of the film... was, that some people are naturally better than others,"

I'd say that the message of the film was simply that, sometimes, people don't realise they have something special because they're yearning for something else. The film is a clarion call to appreciate what's special in your life.

Mon May 14, 2007 7:32 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Bump... to try and reassess all the love for Brad Bird being strewn about here lately...

In re-reading this thread, The Incredibles got decidely mixed reviews -- whereas, now only the good reviewers seem to keep championing it.

As my review here shows, I was underwhelmed by Bird's work, as I was with Iron Giant -- both are merely good movies. It was not until this summer's Ratatouille that he truly burst out of his shell and hit one out of the park. I'll be eternally grateful for his gift of Ratatouille, but I just want to keep his legacy in perspective...

Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:38 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

WHAT THE HELL!!!

This is by far the best Pixar film I have seen.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:19 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

*Thinks* My...3rd favorite Pixar film, behind Finding Nemo and Toy Story. Haven't seen Ratatouille yet though.

Not really anything to complain about, it's simply a very solid animated film, well, film in general.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:27 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Loved it, Fantastic Four should have taken lessons from this one.

Best Pixar film since the Toy Storys

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:31 pm
Extraordinary

I wonder how pathetic of a lowlife you have to be to get a kick out of giving a film like this an F.

Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:47 pm
Profile WWW
The Antichrist

My third favorite Pixar flick, just a tiny bit behind the underrated A Bug's Life. Its (too) open moralism about the concept of family is the only flaw I've seen in it.
A(-)

Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:48 am
Extraordinary

My third favorite Pixar flick, just a tiny bit behind the underrated A Bug's Life. Its (too) open moralism about the concept of family is the only flaw I've seen in it.
A(-)

Hooray! Another A Bug's Life fan!!!

Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:12 am
Extraordinary

Post Re: The Incredibles
Now that several people have had a chance to read Watchmen, I hope some of the links between The Incredibles and the graphic novel are more apparent.

One of the more obvious is Edna Mode's "no cape" shtick, which is, to me at least, a clear nod to Ellis' biography, where he mentions that one of the superheroes was shot dead because his cape got stuck in a revolving door while he was chasing a criminal. The irony is that the superhero did not want the cape, but that the PR team insisted on it because it looked good. Edna, the designer, is the one who rejects the cape idea while Bob wants it.

More subtly though importantly, both works concentrate on the post-heroic phase of the heroes' existence, even as the heroes are on the verge of their return to heroic activity. There is a profound sense of longing and nostalgia that imbues both works, which readily allows for the immense amount of self- and cultural referentiality that is so amply evident in both.

Where The Incredibles and Watchmen differ is on the world the heroes inhabit. The setting in The Incredibles is suburbia, in all its mundane glory, an environment so stifling that the heroes cannot function properly in it and therefore re-locate to a mysterious island where the conventional heroic narrative can find an easy home. In the case of Watchmen, the setting is the heroically fertile pre-apocalyptic city where the heroism, arrested by self-reference, is momentarily resurrected only to be disavowed.

One gets the sense that Bob and Helen Parr are the descendants of Dan Dreiberg and Laurie Juspeczyk.

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

My Box-Office Blog: http://boxofficetracker.blogspot.com/

Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:07 pm
Profile WWW
"no rank"

Yeah, poor Dollar Bill.

There's also Ozymandias' monologuing.

Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:09 pm
why so serious?

My second favorite Pixar movie, following WALL-E. Even many, many repeat viewings later, it still hasn't gotten old.

A

Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:36 pm
Extraordinary

HOLLIS. omfg, how could I not remember? It's not Ellis :tears: I'm horrible with names. Forgive me, please.

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

My Box-Office Blog: http://boxofficetracker.blogspot.com/

Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:18 pm
Profile WWW
He didn't look busy?!

not Pixar's best work, but probably their most entertaining. Brad Bird really knows how to do chases.

A-

Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:03 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Brad Bird makes the best Pixar movies. This was by far the most mature film Pixar had released at the time, and it was just spectacular. I disagree that it wasn't funny. Edna Mode cracks me up. And the characters were all very good and fleshed out. My second favorite after Ratatouille.

A+

Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:06 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

I loved the movie but its not my favorite of Pixar movies. The first act was a little boring but once the action starts the story also kicks up into full gear. The overall story is GREAT but the final act could have used a bit more "teamwork" and action to make the "earlier deaths" look more meaningful (the self-learning robot is defeated by the same death...again). The family concepts are the best part of this movie and which is why this works SO WELL.

8/10

Mon May 07, 2018 12:30 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

You're a dumbass.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:33 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

Glad that's the message you got from it!

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:32 pm
now we know

Magnus wrote:
i'll take that over "white nuclear family spends an entire movie to prove their own superiority and elitism over everyone else"

Haha, sounds like you're a snowflake SJW!!

Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:19 pm
Profile WWW
Full Fledged Member

I just watched this for the first time in about ten years and was pretty blown away by it. The plot is pretty thin, but what really stands out is how visually appealing and kinetic it is. There's a dynamic visual in damn near every shot. I'm still not too terribly interested in watching the sequel but damn this was well executed

Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:53 pm

Still one of the finest examples of American Animation

Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:59 pm
The Kramer

I hadn't seen this in a long time, not even in the build up to I2 for some reason. It is … well incredible. And again, way ahead of its time in terms of social issues. A world where special people are encouraged to not be special in order to make everyone else feel better. A tale of broken masculinity and the consequences of trying to regain it. And instead of selfishly keeping those gains to yourself, empowering the entire family. It's now easy to see why the sequel has reached heights never before scene by animated movies. There is somebody for everyone to connect with here, but I'm guessing the majority of the audience connected with all four.

Plus the Animation still looks fantastic, better than the humans in Brave or The Good Dinosaur and the cinematography is top notch.

My A grade has become an A+.

Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:28 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Fun, fast and amazing action all wrapped in such a small movie with so much to offer of this world. Also one of the originals that does not use the usual Pixar formula and the non-emotional ending works really well here. The action and discovery of powers is amazing plus the finale was great specially with a very menacing, capable and colorful villain even if a little predictable in his motives.

Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:56 am
Reply to topic   [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3