Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Titanic 

What grade would you give this film?
A 70%  70%  [ 54 ]
B 14%  14%  [ 11 ]
C 10%  10%  [ 8 ]
D 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
F 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 77

Titanic 
Forum General

Post Re: Titanic
Also, this thread bump reminds me I miss zingy. :(

Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:58 pm
Cream of the Crop

Remember when their used to be nudity in regular movies?

Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:50 am
Keeping it Light

stuffp wrote:
Titanic nor Avatar had much "cultural" impact, sure they blew up at the box office, but I see very little effect of it on society. Star Wars, even not a fan myself, has created obvious roots. No-one quotes Avatar and I believe Titanic gets hardly quoted either. There's definitely at least 10 other films in between Star Wars and either of these other 2 films in terms of cultural impact.

I just watched this the other day again, and it's just fantastic. I really don't know what I meant before about it not being quoted or having cultural impact, it obviously has and is.
Besides that, the film is a masterpiece, one of the best romance films ever, and the backdrop of the massive Titanic story just works perfectly from a dramatic angle. It's delivers impressive scenes with how the whole ship and the voyage was brought back to life, and the score is just so effective. I love the film and it's firmly established in my top 100.

A

Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:44 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Rewatched this again and still love the movie. Titanic is the reason I was pulled into movies and big theater experience and even though if I watch this movie at home its still great experience. Everything about this movie just clicks and there is so much work behind each of the scenes. At the end you come out having journeyed back from Titanic as a survivor.

Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:55 pm
Cream of the Crop

Jack Sparrow wrote:
Rewatched this again and still love the movie. Titanic is the reason I was pulled into movies and big theater experience and even though if I watch this movie at home its still great experience. Everything about this movie just clicks and there is so much work behind each of the scenes. At the end you come out having journeyed back from Titanic as a survivor.

When did Jack Sparrow become so good at writing?

Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:30 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

:hahaha:

Welcome back tree :thumbsup:

Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:56 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

I'm watching this on CBS's Movie Night right now and I'll be hard pressed to find a movie as iconic as this one in my lifetime. Truly revolutionary, and every scene is classic.

Sun May 24, 2020 10:33 pm
Profile YIM
Superfreak

thompsoncory wrote:
I'm watching this on CBS's Movie Night right now and I'll be hard pressed to find a movie as iconic as this one in my lifetime. Truly revolutionary, and every scene is classic.

It is weird because when you take a step back, the film is so generic. Nothing about it's plot was particularly original, it was all just executed and paced flawlessly.

Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:23 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

This is a movie that has the rare quality of being a film that if it's on TV and I stumble across it I will watch until the very end. Finding myself down that rabbit hole as we speak :P

Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:14 am
Profile YIM
llegó a la casa vía marítima

I saw it for the very first time in theatres yesterday. I had seen it plenty of times on DVD and then streaming, but never in theatres.

I have to say this was by far the best viewing of it, it's a film that deserves to be seen on a giant screen with a roaring sound system. To my shock, I cried multiple times, which I never had before, even though every scene was familiar to me. The visual effects hold up incredibly well, the vast majority of it simply looks completely real, as if they actually filmed the real sinking. I think it will hold up forever at this point, there will never be the need for another film about the sinking.

What impressed me the most yesterday though wasn't the effects, but how visceral and gripping the story of class struggle and survival of the fittest was. With the rich getting richer and conspiring to destroy the middle class today, the film is more timely than ever, hopefully the lesson people take is that the wealthy will happily murder the less fortunate if it means their own survival, just like the first class ladies happily jumped into the lifeboats while the poor were trapped beneath. Then as the life boats run out, chaos breaks out and divisions of class start to disappear as everyone just fights for their own life. It's thrilling and tragic and I can't think of a film that shows it better. The scenes of the ship sinking with water bursting through the corridors and thousands of panicked passengers crawling around it like ants is like something out of a renaissance painting and I truly believe those sequences rank very high up in the greatest achievements in filmmaking history, and maybe one of the greatest pieces of art of the last century for that matter. The folly of man shown bare against the all consuming power of nature. When the ship splits in half and swallows its passengers, former luxury turned into a pit of hell, all I could think of was "this is pure art". Pity the dumb love story and the even dumber Jack Dawson character (who sacrifices their life for a girl they've known for two days?? and even then has the gall to say "you're the best thing that ever happened to me"??) overshadowed that aspect of the film.

Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:05 am
Reply to topic   [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6