Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Justice League 

Rate this film.
A 18%  18%  [ 3 ]
B 29%  29%  [ 5 ]
C 29%  29%  [ 5 ]
D 12%  12%  [ 2 ]
F 12%  12%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 17

Justice League 
Post Re: Justice League
I don't argue that, I'm just saying that the *concept* of a film with just Batman (where they "get his shit right," per Excel) besting an Avengers movie isn't lunacy. Anyway, as this isn't a review and I won't be seeing this I'll shut up now.

Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:17 pm
Extraordinary

The most impressive feat the DCEU has pulled off is torpedoing Batman's cool factor. He's no longer an event and it only took two films to get there.

Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:48 pm
The Dark Shape wrote:
The most impressive feat the DCEU has pulled off is torpedoing Batman's cool factor. He's no longer an event and it only took two films to get there.

Well, I might go as far as saying casting Affleck was enough of a torpedo. What a two foot, full bodied jump in the wrong direction ;) I mean, off the top of my head someone like Idris Elba or another black actor would have been a good direction to go. Lots of people to choose from, and a completely different direction after a fondly received trilogy of White Batman so it wouldn't just be *direct* comparison to the one from a few years prior.

Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:04 pm

Malcolm wrote:
zwackerm wrote:
Excel wrote:
Solo Batman's potential rivals Avengers anyway. Just get his shit right.

:funny:

In all fairness, The Dark Knight's 533mil in 2008 adjusts to 590+mil in 2012--the year Avenger's managed 623mil. Or, conversely, that 623mil becomes 552mil in 2008. Either way, solo Batman wasn't far off...

Excel actually has a point

Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:07 pm
Superfreak

Malcolm wrote:
zwackerm wrote:
Excel wrote:

In all fairness, The Dark Knight's 533mil in 2008 adjusts to 590+mil in 2012--the year Avenger's managed 623mil. Or, conversely, that 623mil becomes 552mil in 2008. Either way, solo Batman wasn't far off...

Factor in Avengers massive 3D share and TDK lack of 3D and TDK clearly sold more tickets

Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:02 am
Superfreak

The Dark Shape wrote:

Summon Nolan. It's the only option.

Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:03 am
Superman: The Movie

Not happening.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:54 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Excel wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
zwackerm wrote:
Excel wrote:

Factor in Avengers massive 3D share and TDK lack of 3D and TDK clearly sold more tickets

You have to factor the market conditions. There is no more Heath Ledger to boost the OW and legs.

Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:55 pm

I’ll have more thoughts when I get home, but, even though we’ll never know, I’m guessing when Ben Affleck said (paraphrasing) that only 15%-20% was Whedon, that it’s actually the other way around. The only thing that feels like Snyder are the ugly visuals (minus the weird flowers?) at the end.

Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:41 am
Profile WWW

Entertaining with absolutely no depth whatsoever. It barely feels like a movie. But it’s fun. And I don’t believe for a second Snyder directed this. It feels like Warners gave him $250 million to make the film, they saw his version, hated it, and then gave Whedon $50 million to re-do-it in four months. It seems somewhat cheap and flimsy. And there are what, five practical locations (not really, but it feels like you can count them on two hands)? The scene of the five of them talking about resurrecting Superman looks like it was all on green screen. And they couldn’t find a better wig for Amy Adams? And why couldn’t Danny Elfman just use his Batman theme and the full Superman theme instead of just hinting at it. Stop it. Not that this movie necessarily deserves them, but I might have been on the floor if he played the Willams theme when Supes comes and pushes Steppenwolf (who is not Enchantress awful, but is completely forgettable, which is kind of worse considering it’s Justice League). Tsujihara is a moron for the two hour mandate. I know he was scared, but 108 minutes without credits? Come on!

But yeah, this is far from a disaster. It’s fun. A mess, but fun.

B-

I heard someone somewhere refer to it as being like a Saturday morning cartoon. That’s a perfect way to describe it.

Last edited by Jmart on Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:57 am
Profile WWW
Superfreak

my thoughts are identical to smarts.

no way what ended up on screen cost 250m. so many poor effects.

also felt straight tiny in scale compared to avengers 2012

Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:14 am
Superfreak

If someone said that the budget was $80m, I would have believed it.

Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:51 pm
Forum General

This was decent. I went in with low expectations and while it wasn't The Avengers I was thoroughly entertained. You can tell they tried really hard to course correct this from MOS/BvS to the point where it feels a little overly comedic though. I mean I did chuckle at some stuff, but I wasn't a fan of how much it was used, especially with Batman. Speaking of Batfleck people can complain all they want about how he was too dark in BvS, but he felt so tone down here IMO. I'll admit I kinda missed the brooding and intense depiction we got in the last movie. Also, where were the epic scale action sequences? For a JL movie the action was pretty lacking and I have to agree with Magnus that MOS and BvS had hit the high points much better than this. Nothing in this movie comes close to topping the Smallville fight or even the warehouse scene.

The best stuff in this film for me was easily everything involving Superman. I dug his resurrection and him taking on the League was pretty cool, especially the bit where he checks Flash lol. Yeah his face was distracting at parts, but I stopped noticing after a while. I do look forward to the future solo films, because I do believe they have something with these characters, but can we please get better villains? Steppenwolf while not as laughable as Enchantress or as dopey as the villains from WW was still pretty damn bad. I mean he might as well have come from a video game, because that's what he looked and acted like.

Oh and those post credit scenes were dope. I don't know how I quite feel about Eisenberg's Luthor coming back, but Manganielo as Slade Wilson looked beast and straight out the comics.

The second post credit scene with Supes and Flash racing was great too.

C+

Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:52 pm
Keeping it Light

Good review, and it's best the film could hope for I think. I can understand some taking enjoyment of the fun moments, but all the detrimental parts weigh so heavy for me I just hate it as a film.

Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:26 pm
now we know

I'm getting seriously sick of films using the credits to show teaser clips. Re-watching The Dark Knight trilogy this weekend was so refreshing. This trend is mainly prevalent in superhero films, which is why I thought to mention it here.

Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:24 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Justice League is surprisingly competent! Don't get me wrong, it's still a corporate movie product built to take advantage of the simpleton demographic, but it is head and shoulders above BvS and MoS. Perhaps the plot flitting about between the multitudinous character set-ups helps to alleviate some of the boredom of this type of schlock, despite its absolute predicability. *C+*

Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:23 am

Bradley gives a good review!

Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:44 am
now we know

His review actually isn't bad at all. He clearly likes it more than his C+.

Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:14 pm
Profile WWW

Bradley's C+ is the commoners A-

Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:26 pm
now we know

Darth Indiana Bond wrote:
Bradley's C+ is the commoners A-

Bradley is known for liking crap and hating gold. So a C+ from him just means that commoner reaction is mixed, which is the worst type of reaction for Bradley because there's no grain to shave against.

However, his review (not grade) sounds more like a B, which means he liked it, which extrapolates as 'this film is shit'.

Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:12 am
Profile WWW
now we know

So I finally saw. It's not a mess. It is coherent. But it's just bad. It is one of those films that feels like it listened too much to fan feedback, but it also had the studio poking its nose in, which the result is a film where it looks like nobody really cares, even the actors, which has a domino effect because I could not muster any interest in anything that happened. Everyone looks bored. I guess the outcome is expected when you look at it from a creative standpoint. All the best people left! Man of Steel had Zack Snyder, Christopher Nolan, David S. Goyer and Hans Zimmer. Fast-forward four years to Justice League and only Snyder is left. Danny Elfman does not stand a chance at filling in for Zimmer. On BvS, you still had Zimmer and Goyer, so it still held its own in some areas despite the overall product being a disappointment. But Justice League is just so dull for the supposed "big one" in the DC universe.

It feels like such a shallow film. There is no epic-ness at all. In that regard it comes off as an episode of Superman: The Animated Series; a threat is established, Superman returns, end of film. And Superman's scenes are just crap. His comeback is so weird. His body and suit are awesome (and they did a good job with removing his beard), but his scenes feel so goofy and redundant. And how he enters the Steppenwolf battle is just too casual. It should have been more epic. You know, like they actually needed him! But honestly, the other five actually seem to be handling him, so when Superman shows up it just feels like there is no competition, and that's how it plays out. He wipes the floor with him. It would have been better if the Parademons were keeping the other five at bay, and Steppenwolf was seconds away from causing mass demolition to Earth, and it is all so intense with some great epic battle music, and then Superman shows up. Instead, none of that happens, and it is so, so, so anticlimactic that it is just shit and deflating.

All of the comedy in the film falls flat. The Flash is irritating. It's necessarily bad comedy, it is just frustratingly average. It is so safe that it's not even cute or pleasing. Actually, for me it's so tame that most of it did not even register as comedy. I went in expecting full-on cheesy attempts at humour, and I think there were only two or three. Cyborg is by far the worst character in the film, and Gadot by far displays the worst acting in the film. So wooden. Did anybody besides Miller actually care? It is astonishing how bored everyone is.

Ok, so what did I like? Ummmm. Well, I liked Batman's cape. The way it flowed and hugged the air is almost cartoon-ish (in a good way). Actually I liked Batman's entire appearance. It makes him very much like Batman from a graphic novel or a statuette. I also liked Steppenwolf. Not so much his CGI (though it was honestly fine for me) or characterization, but his appearance is great. He is a weak villain because he is not given anything to do besides "be the villain" and everyone beats his ass. But his appearance is powerful and I would have no problem believing he is an unstoppable force, if only they allowed it.

The film is also too short. To fit all of these characters in, and to let the villain has a sizable chunk to present himself as a catastrophic force, it needs to be over two hours. Otherwise, as what happened here, characters like Alfred, Gordon, Martha and Lois get lost in the shuffle, plot-lines become hollow, and the finished product just feels cheap and haphazardly thrown together. The weirdest thing is that the second end-credits scene actually interested me more than anything in the film! I am not sure how they will concoct it so that Lex Luthor, a human, will be able to compete with all of these superheroes when Steppenwolf, a God, did jack-shit but I am still interested to find out.

1. Man of Steel A-
2. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice Ultimate Edition B
3. Suicide Squad B-
4. Justice League C-
5. Wonder Woman D+

Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:04 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Maybe someone will be able to answer this for me. I didn't get it or maybe I missed something that might explain it. The cleaner to Joe Morton's lab (Cyborg's dad) has a scene where he enters the lab to investigate a noise/bright red light. The scene abruptly cuts and isn't returned to. Later he, Joe Morton and others are kidnapped by Steppenwolf. OK, that's all fine. But what was in the lab that scared the cleaner? Was it Steppenwolf himself or a Parademon? I only ask because just after Superman has been resurrected, we pan over to the crash site and Steppenwolf's beam of light appears indicating he has taken the third and final human-kept cube, as easy as teleporting, grabbing, then taking the return journey. My question is, the cube was previously in Cyborg's dad's lab, right? So why was it not taken at that stage rather than waiting until later?

Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:05 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

I haven't re-watched this, but man after seeing Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice Ultimate Edition I honestly have started to appreciate that movie more and this even less. I can understand why this might still be a more enjoyable film for most, but for a Justice League movie it could have been so much more. What hurts it the most IMO at least for me is them drastically changing Batfleck. Him becoming Tony Stark all of a sudden is just jarring and he felt so underutilized in this movie. I also have to admit that Steppenwolf looks a whole lot worse in comparison to Doomsday. Sure both are weak cut outs that belong in video games, but Doomsday at least somewhat felt like a serviceable threat and the final battle with him was handled in a much better way. Anyways, here's my official ranking of the DCEU films so far.

1. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice Ultimate Edition
2. Man of Steel
3. Suicide Squad
4. Justice League
5. Wonder Woman

Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:16 pm
Pure Phase

I tend to agree. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, particularly in its extended form, is a very interesting and stylish movie. I almost see Snyder as a victim of the DC Extended Universe. ;) His overarching vision is flawed, perhaps too sprawling and morose, but also rich in numerous respects. He gave us a cool, scary Batman in Dawn of Justice, for one. His game plan feels so compromised in Justice League, with the forced, tone-deaf, out-of-nowhere bonhomie (super pals! brunch!) and truncated storytelling.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:32 pm
now we know

Dil wrote:
after seeing Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice Ultimate Edition I honestly have started to appreciate that movie more and this even less.

David wrote:
I tend to agree. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, particularly in its extended form, is a very interesting and stylish movie. I almost see Snyder as a victim of the DC Extended Universe. His overarching vision is flawed, perhaps too sprawling and morose, but also rich in numerous respects. He gave us a cool, scary Batman in Dawn of Justice, for one. His game plan feels so compromised in Justice League, with the forced, tone-deaf, out-of-nowhere bonhomie (super pals! brunch!) and truncated storytelling.

Agreed on both!

Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:53 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next