Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Blade Runner 2049 

Rate this film:
A 30%  30%  [ 3 ]
B 40%  40%  [ 4 ]
C 30%  30%  [ 3 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 10

Blade Runner 2049 
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: Blade Runner 2049
I thought it was great. It's definitely slow-paced and a little hard to follow, but it's absolutely stunning on a technical level and the performances and emotional center of the film really resonated for me. I saw it last night and haven't been able to stop thinking about it. I also thought both Ryan Gosling and Harrison Ford were pretty fantastic. Jared Leto was terrible though and his character was pointless. A-

Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:56 pm
Profile YIM
Pure Phase

Suicide Squad seriously turned people against Jared Leto. He is always being dumped on nowadays. Which I understand to a degree: it is a bad movie, plus the stories of him sending rodents and used condoms to his co-stars. But I miss when he was just regarded as the solid, handsome actor from Girl, Interrupted; Requiem for a Dream; Lord of War; Dallas Buyers Club; etc. He is fine in this. It is a hard role: he has two scenes, so far apart one almost forgets he is in the film, and both are heavily expository and flamboyant. I believe he did his best to lend a slightly forced character mystery and gravitas.

Overall, I enjoyed this, but with reservations. (I am, for the record, a huge fan of the original. It is an all-time favorite film of mine.) It is definitely too long; there is a two-hour film within it screaming to be let out of the two-hour-and-45-minute final product. This is an example of length interpreted as an automatic road to import and prestige. And I am not sure I honestly ever cared too much re: the actual plot and whether the replicants can reproduce and what this means for their Hunger Games-style revolution. But Ryan Gosling delivers a very dynamic performance, and the subplot involving his virtual-reality girlfriend is both titillating and poignant, which is certainly an appealing combination. Harrison Ford is fine, too, in his latter-day, grumpily charismatic way. And the entire enterprise is obviously top-notch in regard to art direction, cinematography, music, and visual effects. Simply an astounding amount of atmosphere and detail.

B

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:43 pm
Pure Phase

In regard to the ending:

I am not sure why Gosling's character is so sure Deckard is safe. The whole, "It's fine. You died in the crash, nudge, nudge, go live your life" exchange, similar to Sean Connery and Nicolas Cage at the end of The Rock. Surely Leto's character's people will recover the vehicle and the bodies. I doubt they will just assume Deckard is dead.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:45 pm
now we know

David wrote:
And I am not sure I honestly ever cared too much re: the actual plot and whether the replicants can reproduce and what this means for their Hunger Games-style revolution.

Too true.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:06 am
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

I'm glad they explained it. There was a five minutes in there where I was just like do they need Ford's sperm?

Why is it so bad to reproduce? And also why is Ford the only that accomplished it? There is a Jesus metaphor that is never explained. And PS, that girl seems like she has the most miserable life either. All Leto wants to do is celebrate her.

It's like hiding Santa Claus from children, and if santa brings the end of all time, just because it was said once. This film, I still enjoyed watching it, but boy it's a pimple that just won't pop.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:11 pm
Forum General

Coming from someone who didn't love Blade Runner, I really enjoyed this. Yes it's a bit too long, slow and ponderous, but I was never bored and by the end of it I definitely wanted more. Just being immersed in the world they created this time around is captivating enough IMO even though I wish they went a little crazier with the future tech like that scene with James Hong in the first movie.That being said the production design in this film is absolutely top notch, and I love how the visuals showed so much contrast between those cityscapes and the desert/wastelands. As far as performances go Gosling is pretty damn solid and I found his character to be a much more likeable and interesting lead than Ford's Deckard in the original film. Speaking of Ford though this easily the strongest performance I've seen from him in a very long time. He is utilized perfectly in this, because he's not over used and they don't try to entirely bank on nostalgia to get a reaction from the audience like TFA which I loved. As good as those two are though the chick who played Luv has to be the standout. Such a fantastic villain that just oozes screen presence, and while I didn't think Jared Leto was awful he definitely got overshadowed, but I feel that had to be intentional since he was in only like two scenes. Also, Anna de Armas proves once again that not only is she incredibly beautiful, but she can really act as well. Everything I've seen her in she's been good even in something as mediocre as Knock Knock.

I'm going to start giving letter grades again, so B+

Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:40 am
The Kramer

This movie is a technical wonder, but gosh it was a tough watch. You could say the same about the original Blade Runner, but there was one key difference; I actually liked Deckard and was interested in his mission because of it. 2049 is so concerned with its soul-defining themes it never bothered to make me care about K or anyone else in the film. And because of that, the story is a real chore until we get back to Deckard, even with its gorgeous yet depressing scenary and powerful score. At that point the movie becomes pretty awesome and for the first time I had a grasp on what was happening and why I should care. It takes 90+ minutes to get to that point though and that's too much man.

I had a similar experience with Sicario, where Emily Blunt's nothing protaganist disconnected me from the world. Amy Adams and Hugh Jackman both felt like real people driving the story rather than just being a pair of eyes to see it through. Makes a huge difference. Gosling's K may not be a "real person", but that not mattering is a theme of the movie, and so I can't give Dennis a pass.

Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:01 pm
The Kramer

Sicario also had a "you thought you were special but you are really nothing" subplot for the main character.

And did Filmo do the subtitles for this? I could barely read them and still have no idea what the opening card said.

Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:18 pm
The Wall

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
And did Filmo do the subtitles for this? I could barely read them and still have no idea what the opening card said.

The opening card was pretty much useless as the opening scene sets the EXACT same "rules" for BR2049 the card explains (Blade Runners are replicants who hunt mutineered replicants). It's basically there for dumb mainstream audience who needs things said/written explicitly for them to understand what's happening on screen. A lot of things in the movie exist for that same reason which is why it's nowhere close being as good as the original BR that for the most part valued the intelligence of the viewer.

Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:44 am
Profile WWW
Homo Dperious

Magnus wrote:
another spoiler question.....

Spoiler: show
what do we make of the sheep oragmai? my guess was that it was his way of saying that K is just being herded along by others and isn't making any real choice for himself even if he thinks he is.

I took it to reflect a choice, or a way of asking the question, how are you different? How can you be sure?

Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:16 pm
Profile ICQ
Homo Dperious

I found it to be more engaging than the original. I liked the love story but was never much of a fan. This one is captivating. The tone, the atmosphere are excellent. Even if it doesn’t surprise you, it never fails to somehow hold your attention. It works it’s way from one beautifully crafted moment to the next. It rarely lags, the action near the end being an exception. But that’s almost forgotten as the credits roll.

Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:28 pm
Profile ICQ
The Kramer

Returned to this for the first time since its opening day, hopeful that my recent extremely positive reevaluation of Fury Road would happen again here

It did not.

This movie is still visually impressive but also still a snoozer. Maybe even more so since I knew the result of the mystery ahead of time. The movie also has poor casting (except for Batista and Ana de Armas). Love Gosling normally but I just never cared about his character here. And Jared Leto naturally ruins anything he touches.

Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2