Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Brad's Status 

Rate This Film
A 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Brad's Status 
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post Brad's Status

Quote:
Brad's Status is a 2017 American comedy-drama film written and directed by Mike White. The film stars Ben Stiller, Michael Sheen, Jenna Fischer, Luke Wilson, and Austin Abrams. It was selected to be screened in the Platform section at the 2017 Toronto International Film Festival, and premiered on September 9, 2017.[2] The film is scheduled to be released on September 15, 2017, by Amazon Studios.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:44 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: Brad's Status
It means well but this felt so slight to me and Ben Stiller's character never came across to me as likable. It's very much a character study and if you aren't onboard with his character's journey and observations about life it's hard to enjoy. That being said, there are a few beats that land mostly thanks to the strong breakout turn from Austin Abrams as his son. I thought the final moment between the two of them was great. Other segments, such as an extended conversation with a college student about his struggles that turns itself into an observation on white privilege, land with a thud. The talented supporting cast doesn't get a ton to do and most amount to what are basically extended cameos. C+

Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:25 am
Profile YIM
Cream of the Crop

Mortality and regret permeate Brad's Status, the feel bad movie for middle age also-rans. I suppose Ben Stiller is just the guy to play this, though cracks are showing in his technique. Every subspecies of human experience deserves its movie, but I can't imagine ever checking out Brad's Status again. *B-*

Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:09 pm
Pure Phase

This film impressed me and has stayed in my mind more vividly than most do. With an almost surgical comic wit, but also a healthy degree of sympathy, it dissects this very specific intersection of narcissism, nostalgia, privilege, and self-doubt. Moment after moment rang true for me, even if it stung, and the incremental epiphanies of the third act are moving. It perfectly utilizes the sharpest edges of Ben Stiller's neurotic screen most presence; he is excellent here and just instantly understands how to inhabit and unravel this peculiar, angst-ridden suburbanite. The young actor Austin Abrams is terrific as his son, too, with his understated regular-teen affect, and the supporting cast, including Michael Sheen and Jemaine Clement, is full of always-welcome faces.

A-

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:23 am
now we know

This made me cringe when watching Brad's Status:

Spoiler: show

That black guy (top right) was definitely PhotoShopped in to add some diversity.

Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:27 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]