Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 Logan Lucky 

Rate This Film
A 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
B 38%  38%  [ 3 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
D 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 8

Logan Lucky 
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post Logan Lucky

Quote:
Logan Lucky is an upcoming American heist comedy film directed, shot and edited by Steven Soderbergh and written by Rebecca Blunt. It features an ensemble cast consisting of Channing Tatum, Adam Driver, Riley Keough, Daniel Craig, Seth MacFarlane, Katie Holmes, Hilary Swank, Katherine Waterston and Sebastian Stan.

The film is scheduled to be released on August 18, 2017, by Bleecker Street and Fingerprint Releasing.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:05 pm

Post Re: Logan Lucky
I think my girlfriend and I will be seeing this shortly

Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:49 pm
Pure Phase

A bit of a disappointment, unfortunately. A Steven Soderbergh-directed, Ocean's-style caper comedy transplanted to a blue-collar milieu in West Virginia and North Carolina, it is a film of fitful amusement and invention, but it is never as consistently fun as it clearly aims to be. The film does have one enormous asset, though: a delightful performance by a cast-against-type Daniel Craig. He plays a taciturn, tattooed, Southern-accented pyromaniac and thief named Joe Bang. Craig venturing beyond the suave, tough James Bond archetype is not exactly a revelation (consider, for example, his turn as murderer and In Cold Blood subject Perry Edward Smith in Infamous), but it is clear he relishes this absurd antihero, and his enjoyment becomes ours. The rest of the cast, including Adam Driver and Channing Tatum as unexpectedly convincing brothers, is mostly fine, though none of their roles are nearly as compelling as Craig's. Riley Keough, for instance, is sexy and spry as a Daisy Duke-style hairdresser sidekick, but the role never blossoms beyond the functional and ornamental. There are two members of the ensemble I would gladly cut, however: Seth MacFarlane, just bizarrely and uncomfortably miscast as a narcissistic British racing sponsor, and Hilary Swank, whose late-in-the-game appearance signals when the film seriously starts to feel overlong and out of fuel.

Behind the camera, Soderbergh acquits himself decently on a scene-by-scene basis, shooting the action (much of it set in an industrial labyrinth beneath a speedway) with characteristic clarity and efficiency. On a broader level, though, the film slips away from him to a degree. His attempts to infuse the story with heart and soul—the West Virginia locals' economic anxiety, one principal character's doting relationship with his daughter—are rather limp, and the film becomes a noticeably long sit during its third act. Said third act includes one of those montages in which the events of the heist play out again from another perspective, showing us who was misdirecting whom and what transpired in place B while we were focused on place A. Sadly, this registers more as convoluted and labored than a-ha! surprising or playful.

C+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:51 am
On autopilot for the summer

Infamous came out before Bond, so I'm not sure how you'd could consider that against type.

And seriously "out of fuel"

David is the one kjer who thinks his reviews belong on variety

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:19 am
Pure Phase

I was saying Craig has smaller, older films showing his diversity as an actor. "Cast-against-type" refers to his use here post-Bond, not in Infamous.

Don't be an asshole, Thegun. Such low behavior doesn't befit a legendary actor-comedian-editor-journalist-womanizer-raconteur-samurai-poet such as yourself.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:02 pm
On autopilot for the summer

I know but it's Sunday and the Red Sox lost last night, I've had that comment for years now. You should find a site to pay for them, don't waste it on KJ, I always find them funny just because you actually make an effort. You know I love ya Davy (Not really, but I do respect you enough)

You don't even wanna know my current job.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:12 pm
New Server, Same X

David wrote:
Seth MacFarlane, just bizarrely and uncomfortably miscast as a narcissistic British racing sponsor

This is true of pretty much every acting role for him, isn't it? He seems like he has a natural comedic ability when he talks, but once he's acting, he loses any ability.

Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:23 am
Cream of the Crop

Logan Lucky is directed with a flat style that could charitably be called laconic in its monotony. I get it - that's half the joke here. The heist itself is inventive and enjoyable. The acting is good enough not to notice how bad it is. A solid *B*

Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:17 pm
The Kramer

Many years after the excellent Side Effects and Cotagion, Soderbergh returns to make ... a Coens movie? I'm generally not a fan of people other than J&E doing those type of movies and Logan Lucky is no exception. I didn't care about the characters and was therefore bored for most of it. There are some funny lines though, and the Family Guy-esque negotiation with the prisoners was cute. And even though I was ready for the movie to end, Swank showing up at the bar to infiltrate the group was the most interesting thing that happened. So roll credits!

Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:14 pm
Keeping it Light

From the get-go this felt like Soderbergh film with it's style of quality associated to it, and then as the film went along I started getting into it's story more and more I'd rank among his best without a doubt. In a nutshell, the film felt quite like an Ocean's Eleven spin-off to me, it's even referred to at the end of it. Upon my viewing and recollection of the Ocean's film I'd rank Logan Lucky higher on it's strength of eccentric characters. Both the Logan and Bang family are all awesome, and the film was a great ride. Loved pretty much every bit of it, and it's hard to pin-point any flaws, except for the fact, that by borrowing so heavily from the Ocean's in terms of basic plot that in terms of originality they took a shortcut.

A-

Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:57 pm
Keeping it Light

David wrote:
There are two members of the ensemble I would gladly cut, however: Seth MacFarlane, just bizarrely and uncomfortably miscast as a narcissistic British racing sponsor, and Hilary Swank, whose late-in-the-game appearance signals when the film seriously starts to feel overlong and out of fuel.

These smaller roles, including the prison warden, the tetanus nurse, all of them really, worked just as well as the main ones for me. Swank was so great, I'd really hope to see her more in films, and should catch up on a bunch of films still actually.
It never felt long for me either, the 2 hours fit the film perfectly.

Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:01 pm
now we know

This is Soderbergh's southern version of Ocean's Eleven. It is definitely a good film, but I am unsure at the moment how good. Did I enjoy it? Well, yes. Did I find it funny? Not really. Did I like the characters? Not really. I dislike those redneck states and voices. Did I like the performances? Yes, very good, especially Seth McFarlane and Daniel Craig. Tatum was good too. And Riley Keough is fucking hotness. How is it from a technical standpoint? Efficient and effective.

I think if this was made by anyone other than Soderbergh, it may not have been good. Story was neat, if a little too perfectly executed. There wasn't much of a "shit happens", let alone two. And it is a bit perplexing to view the Logan family as criminal masterminds. Anyway, Soderbergh employs many of the tactics of his previous movies, so nothing was tremendous, but it is a competent, often enjoyable heist romp.

B+

Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:17 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Does anyone know why Katie Holmes flips from bitch to nicey-nice at the end? I couldn't grasp why. Was it because he turned up to the talent contest? Does it instantly dislike her partner? Is it because Tatum has been spending more time with his daughter? or was it because he is now wealthy? Is he even wealthy? I mean, they split a lot of the money between a few people. The film tries to push the notion that they did the job and they never have to work again, but really there isn't much money in that Jiffy or that bin bag.

Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:17 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Algren wrote:
Does anyone know why Katie Holmes flips from bitch to nicey-nice at the end?

I don't think it was explained, but I felt satisfied by taking on this as the answer.

Algren wrote:
because Tatum has been spending more time with his daughter

Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:10 pm
Keeping it Light

Post Re:
Algren wrote:
This is Soderbergh's southern version of Ocean's Eleven

I'd say that's the exact right way to put it.

It wasn't outright funny I thought either, but it was easy for me to just find humor in the whole situation. It has a very light tone, pretty much just like Ocean's. The redneck angle worked really well for me, thus it was difficult to find anything I disliked.

Soderbergh list:
1. Traffic
2. Logan Lucky
3. Erin Brockovich
4. Ocean's Eleven
5. Side Effects
6. Haywire
7. Magic Mike
8. Ocean's Twelve
9. Ocean's Thirteen
10. Contagion
11. Out of Sight

Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:15 pm
Forum General

This was a fun little heist film. I wouldn't even call myself a big Soderbergh fan, but this has to be the best thing he's made in a while. Yeah it's pretty basic, but I enjoyed the ride while it lasted and the ensemble cast really works.

B

Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]