Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Theatre Counts (October 29th) 
now we know

Dr. Lecter wrote:
ShadyMilkman wrote:
Maybe I'm just out of the loop, but Saw having over an over 2000 count is surprising.

Has it been hyped up/receiving good press?

Actually, yes. It's IMDB rating is 7.6/10 at the moment and it has been getting better reviews at RT than all other horror movies released this year. It's box-office run in the UK is very impressive as well.

Alright, that makes perfect sense- think I'm going to go see this one this weekend if I can get it in around my work schedule.

You should see it, you WONT be dissapointed, its amazing. Such a catchy name too, brilliant stuff.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:57 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

The Incredibles is now estimated to be in 3,700+ theaters.

Thu Oct 28, 2004 5:18 pm
Indiana Jones IV

That's great for The Incredibles. That's a massive theater increase over Finding Nemo, when compared to Nemo versus Monsters Inc. The Incredibles is a whole new game. $75M is the absolute minimum it will open to, IMO.

3- Lone Survivor 8.5/10
4- Captain America 8.0/10
5- 300: 8.0/10

Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/counts/cha ... =44&p=.htm

Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:05 pm
Top Poster

Shall We Dance should have a tremendously good drop this weekend, especially since its numbers will be helped by Finding Neverland sneaks.

Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:41 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

ShadyMilkman wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
ShadyMilkman wrote:
Maybe I'm just out of the loop, but Saw having over an over 2000 count is surprising.

Has it been hyped up/receiving good press?

Actually, yes. It's IMDB rating is 7.6/10 at the moment and it has been getting better reviews at RT than all other horror movies released this year. It's box-office run in the UK is very impressive as well.

Alright, that makes perfect sense- think I'm going to go see this one this weekend if I can get it in around my work schedule.

You should see it, you WONT be dissapointed, its amazing. Such a catchy name too, brilliant stuff.

I second that. Amazing movie and by far the best horror movie I have seen since The Ring. However, it is not for a weak stomach, hehe. Pretty violent and incredibly intense.

And don't let anyone spoil the ending for you, it is great!

Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:08 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Nice expansion for the Grudge, although I thought they'd maybe add 150 theatres.

Why couldn't they do that for Shaun of the Dead?

"How you uh, how you comin' on that novel you're working on? Huh? Gotta a big, uh, big stack of papers there? Gotta, gotta nice litte story you're working on there? Your big novel you've been working on for 3 years? Got a, got a compelling protaganist? Yeah? Gotta obstacle for him to overcome? Working on, working on that for quite some time?"

Battle of the 2005 movies - Vote Now!

Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:11 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

My thoughts on them:

I predicted 2290 theatres for Saw and looks like I was close. Seriously, I couldn't have even imagined it in more theatres. It is a great movie, an amazing one, but not really what you call mainstream.

Great for Ray, really great. It is getting buzz, the Afro-American population will want to see it as well as older audiences.The theatre count is very good and I expect a very healthy average.

Birth has The Human Stain written all over it, seriously...I don't think I need to say more...

Friday Night Lights really surprises me. It expands for the third weekend in a row, finally breaking 3000 theatres and yet the legs for this movie are not all that spectacular. I'd almost dare to say disappointing legs considering the great reviews and expansions and the fact that it is a sports movie.

I am sad that Shaun of the Dead didn't at least get some expansion for Halloween. Stupid studio, seriously. They could have made more out of this movie...

Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:31 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Nice expansion for the Grudge, although I thought they'd maybe add 150 theatres.

Why couldn't they do that for Shaun of the Dead?

You've beaten me to that comment. Seriously, Shaun of the Dead was very undermarketed and the whole strategy Focus went for with this movie...so stupid. They could have easily made $25+ million with it.

Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:34 pm
Profile WWW
Iron Man

Focus Features is the WORST studio as far as getting theatres and expanding on them. Always have been, and always will be. Their predecessor USA Films never had that problem. (Remember Traffic?)

I still remember how Focus Features botched up Far From Heaven a couple years back which really should have gone wider. And now they're doing the same with Motorcycle Diaries..it entered the Top 10 a couple weeks ago and they should be expanding to new markets but it's already losing theatres....same problem with Shaun of the Dead (which is Focus' genre subdivision Rogue Pictures). I expect that Seed of Chucky won't get that many theatres either. It's really pretty sad since they have the potential for releasing some really good movies, too.

Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:57 pm
Profile WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

Also with Vanity Fair. That film could have done a lot better if it would have gotten a better release. Granted, it wasn't a great film (at least according to the reviews), but I think it could have made more if it had started limited or just gone wide, instead of 1,001 theaters.

Same with Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind...and several others.

Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:03 pm
You must have big rats

Focus Features is the WORST studio as far as getting theatres and expanding on them. Always have been, and always will be. Their predecessor USA Films never had that problem. (Remember Traffic?)

I still remember how Focus Features botched up Far From Heaven a couple years back which really should have gone wider. And now they're doing the same with Motorcycle Diaries..it entered the Top 10 a couple weeks ago and they should be expanding to new markets but it's already losing theatres....same problem with Shaun of the Dead (which is Focus' genre subdivision Rogue Pictures). I expect that Seed of Chucky won't get that many theatres either. It's really pretty sad since they have the potential for releasing some really good movies, too.

Amen to that. :)

Fri Oct 29, 2004 12:01 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I'll cut Focus Feature some slacks. Even though their box office records haven't been great, they are very good at picking up the independent films and getting them what they deserve in the award seasons. They're becoming the new Miramax, with 4 straight Best Picture nominees(counting their precessor USA). The Pianist won 3 major oscars when everybody thought Chicago was going to have a bigger sweep.

Fri Oct 29, 2004 2:03 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

I'll cut Focus Feature some slacks. Even though their box office records haven't been great, they are very good at picking up the independent films and getting them what they deserve in the award seasons. They're becoming the new Miramax, with 4 straight Best Picture nominees(counting their precessor USA). The Pianist won 3 major oscars when everybody thought Chicago was going to have a bigger sweep.

Well, if the world was fair, The Pianist would have won Best Picture as well. :)

Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:12 am
Profile WWW
Horror Hound

Nice for SAW! :)

Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:20 am
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2