Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Wonder Woman 1984 Box Office thread 
Wallflower

Post Re: Wonder Woman 1984 Box Office thread
thompsoncory wrote:
it's the way of the future and kind of exciting.

I hope not. And honestly doubt it. People will go to movies again eventually. The last Avengers movie made 2.8 billion worldwide. People prefer to see movies like that on the big screen and relegating that to a streaming service would be leaving money on the table. It will change things a bit. But theaters aren't all of a sudden going to be a thing of the past. If a hotly anticipated movie is only released in a theater people will go.

Jedi Master Carr wrote:
I don't really blame studios really. It could be a year before people go back to the movies as people did in 2019. The problem the studios are running into is they will eventually have a backlog of movies. 2021 is going to be much better than 2020 for theaters. I really suspect Disney will follow WB. I also suspect Amazon and Netflix to bid over what movies the other studios have.

I mean they could have waited and seen. They don't have to decide to release everything in 2021 on HBOMax.

Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:43 am
Hold the door!

There’s nothing controversial in it other than the Cheetah is a bit rushed. Everything else with Max Lord is excellent. Don’t understand the mixer reactions. When I saw the RT had dropped to the 60’s I was surprised.

Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:54 am
Speed Racer

zwackerm wrote:
If it came out in November 2019, definitely could have seen 450+ and competing with Frozen 2 for number one of the holidays. Just a hugely crowd pleasing and enjoyable film.

Surely this comment is in jest? Very much not a crowd pleaser, maybe 300M in normal conditions thanks to a big OW from hype, but not good legs especially if it had Frozen 2 in its 3rd weekend.

Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:33 am
Hold the door!

WandaLegion wrote:
zwackerm wrote:
If it came out in November 2019, definitely could have seen 450+ and competing with Frozen 2 for number one of the holidays. Just a hugely crowd pleasing and enjoyable film.

Surely this comment is in jest? Very much not a crowd pleaser, maybe 300M in normal conditions thanks to a big OW from hype, but not good legs especially if it had Frozen 2 in its 3rd weekend.

No it’s not in jest, I really thought it was a great film and superior to original. Don’t understand why it’s reviews are just decent.

Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:09 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Given the general consensus on this forum as well as from critics it does sound that WW84 wild not have matched the original's critical and BO success. I do not think releasing this in 2019 would have had that much of an impact on its BO (of course anything would have been better than current situation)

Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:31 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Theaters won't go away entirely but their purpose will shift in the fact that they'll essentially be marketing tools for various streaming services, with certain indie chains such as the Angelika and experience-based theaters such as the Alamo sticking around for the more sophisticated moviegoer that wants to see a specialty title from A24 or NEON (since those are basically brands in themselves). Wouldn't be surprised at all if we saw a scenario where AMC was owned by Disney and was able to drive traffic to Disney+ and Hulu, Regal was owned by Amazon, etc. We're already seeing it with Netflix buying theaters and giving their films token theatrical releases before they launch on streaming when the full marketing push goes into play.

Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:51 pm
Profile YIM
Superfreak

The theater and film business was overbuilt - dramatically, in many places - and has been in the midst of a correction for some time. Multiplexes in every town are not needed. Blockbusters every weekend are not needed. This has been ongoing and is no secret. Covid no doubt accelerates the correction, but this was always going to happen. We do not need quite as many theaters as we had. That said, I highly, highly doubt the number of 'permanently closed' theaters ends up representing a remotely significant amount of lost screens or ticket sales.

The industry disruption created by streaming is no different than VHS or DVD. People - individually and especially groups - could pay less money, rewatch the movie over & over, take breaks when he needed, save money on concessions, etc - with DvD and VHS before. Did VHS and DVDs end theater business? Movie studios had every option to release VHS and DVD etc a week or month after release, just as they may with streaming. The financial incentives were the same. Did this happen? No.

Every person in the US will not be a sub for Disney+ or HBO Max. These things - will - be maxed out at a point and it will be clear the studios are leaving more money on the table by not going through with full theatrical release. This is a mathematical financial certainty and one every board will no doubt realize.

We are talking about something bigger than "brick and mortar" theaters and endless blockbuster films. We are talking about consumer behavior. Trips to the movies have been a beloved pastime for consumers for nearly a century. This is not ending. Hollywood will need to produce higher-quality content and Theaters will have to present them in a way that makes the experience more memorable.

This represents an opportunity for the industry to adapt and innovate in some sorely needed ways. We'll see what comes out of it but there are already some interesting things coming out.
-Classic movies rearing in theaters will hopefully stick around. This was highly common through the 1980s, it wasn't until the late 1990s blockbusters started popping monthly - and then weekly in the 2000s - that classic film rerelease stopped
- the trend of more space, bigger seats, better food etc seems likely to grow in value here

Who knows - it will be very interesting to see what happens. Maybe we get movie stars traveling to the bigger theaters as means of drawing crowds like we used to? Innovation is a great thing.

Either way, the theater business is not going away, it is just changing course & this will be exciting to follow.

Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:42 pm
Devil's Advocate

The theatre business will be fine if the world goes back to normal, however that is the big if.

There are always winners and losers, when the country is locked down the someone is profiting from it. Theatres dying would be an opportunity for someone else. The question is who does the government care more about, the people winning from lockdowns or the people losing from them?

Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:00 pm
Extraordinary

I think this would've done sub 350m domestically under normal times. Reactions are very, very mixed which I get. I liked the movie but it's all over the place.

Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:06 pm
The Kramer

The movie has a very lazy script full of coincidences, but that hasn’t been a death sentence to major blockbusters before. Wonder Woman could have easily pulled a $150M/$425M gross even with the mixed reception. Though I do think it would have lost the yearly crown (atleast worldwide) to Black Widow.

Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:31 pm
Speed Racer

Worldwide? It would be sub 700, not in top 5. Behind F9, Soul, both MCUs, Bond, maybe Venom, Minions, DC3, MI7.

Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:18 pm
KJ's Most Embarssing Misspeller

The reaction to this has been the most negative I've seen for a major comic-book film since Suicide Squad. It has a 5.9 on IMDB (which is really bad for a blockbuster), a 2.8/5 on Letterboxed, and a 4.5 on MC user.

If it was normal times, it would of had a sub-2.2 multiplier. The marketing campaign and hype could have been high enough to generate a 150m OW though so I think it still would have done 300m domestic but would not have got to 350m.

Magnus is right
trixster wrote:
magnus is my hero
Loyal wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
Magnus is the fucking voice of reason.
That's scary.
bABA wrote:
fuck Magnus
zwackerm wrote:
You're incredibly overrated and and if they made a Pixar film about you it would gross less than The Good Dinosaur.

Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:35 pm
KJ's Most Embarssing Misspeller

The reaction to this has been the most negative I've seen for a major comic-book film since Suicide Squad. It has a 5.9 on IMDB (which is really bad for a blockbuster), a 2.8/5 on Letterboxed, and a 4.5 on MC user.

If it was normal times, it would of had a sub-2.2 multiplier. The marketing campaign and hype could have been high enough to generate a 150m OW though so I think it still would have done 300m domestic but would not have got to 350m.

Magnus is right
trixster wrote:
magnus is my hero
Loyal wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
Magnus is the fucking voice of reason.
That's scary.
bABA wrote:
fuck Magnus
zwackerm wrote:
You're incredibly overrated and and if they made a Pixar film about you it would gross less than The Good Dinosaur.

Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:35 pm
Extraordinary

Well, WW84 dropped by 92 % in China...

Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:53 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

What happened to this movie is so fitting to this damn year... Jesus.

Very curious as to how Patty's Star Wars film will be lol

Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:59 pm
Superfreak

Thinking this would have $150m/$360m/$850m in normal circumstances.

Jenkins clearly needs to be reigned in for the next film, lots of dumb ideas with sloppy execution here.

Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:55 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Jenkins should not have written the film for sure. She is not even a great director but with a good script she can do enough to make it look decent.

Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:28 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

publicenemy#1 wrote:
What happened to this movie is so fitting to this damn year... Jesus.

Very curious as to how Patty's Star Wars film will be lol

How do you mean by fitting? I do not think we had high hopes for the BO this year while the disappointing reception is something that I agree.

I was never looking forward to Stay Wars Patty.

Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:30 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

LMAO I just remembered Disney gave Star Wars to Patty. Kathleen Kennedy is really not done running that franchise into the ground, she's going to make sure no one ever touches it again.

Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:55 pm
The Kramer

I think it could be fine. It's clear that she had no idea what to do with the Wonder Woman sequel but took the check anyways. At least Rogue Squadrons is a project she will be passionate about.

Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:05 pm
Extraordinary

According to Deadline WW1984 is at 22.5m domestic rn, so 5.8m from weekdays.

Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:31 pm
The Kramer

$5.5M -67% for weekend two. News of the World dropped 25% and Croods rose 25% for comparison.

Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:25 pm
Extraordinary

Yikes. Even without previews it had a Squad/BvS drop lol although initial private screenings definitely didn't help

Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:31 pm
Hold the door!

I think it makes sense since seeing it theatrically appeals most to fans who would have all gone opening weekend.

Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:51 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Yep there was a rush factor to see this opening weekend among fans. I believe all straight to PVOD blockbusters will behave the same, specially ones with mixed WoM.

Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next