Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 628 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 26  Next
 Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba (INTL - #1 WW Film of 2020!) 
Angels & Demons

Post Re: Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba (INTL)
charlie jat wrote:

My "not gonna say it loud" prediction are $8M OD (including Thursday) and $14-15M OW.

WOW!! And we still have a week before showtime

Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:35 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

That would be insane but I'm still going to be conservative and think that the series might be pre-sales heavy and not do those big numbers but DS has always surprised in all markets where it was released.

Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:17 am
Angels & Demons

What's the current total of DS internationally? Thank you!!

Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:09 am
Angels & Demons

chQta wrote:
What's the current total of DS internationally? Thank you!!

Maybe someone else has the proper number but wikipedia seems to think it has under $420 million while by our calculations and others on Twitter it has over $430 million

Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:10 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

The wiki is wrong because they have its total at $361 million in Japan, which is about $18/19 million too low. They did the same thing BOM does by converting the total in JPY to USD using a recent exchange rate versus following the changes over the past 6 months.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:38 pm
Profile WWW
Angels & Demons

Thank you letsmaybeLP92 and Corpse!

Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:40 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

To further explain, and in hopes that anyone who edits that page reads this:

You can't take a total in a local currency and convert that into another currency (JPY to USD in this case) and expect an accurate number. You'll get the number of whatever the exchange rate at the time of conversion is, but doing this with a total over a long period of time is totally inaccurate.

Exchange rates change daily. They largely stay consistent in the short time, from a few weeks to a month or more sometimes, but they'll almost always change by a noticeable amount over a longer period of time at least a couple of times. And the larger the number you're converting, the more inaccurate (or higher/lower in terms of gross) the conversion is going to become.

If you go look at my daily tracker for the film, you'll probably run across some days where the number is the same in JPY but slightly different in USD, and that's due to the exchange rate being different enough on those days to change the USD figure.

The dollar has strengthened versus the yen for the better part of this year (not a lot, but enough to see a shift), so converting the now 6-month total will be noticeably lower than the more accurate total that was calculated using daily/weekly conversions throughout its entire run. It won't ever be truly 100% accurate since weekday totals aren't released, and are estimated, which can slightly change the result if the exchange rate either dipped/rose on a random weekday or two during the course of the run, but it'll be very, very close (think 99%).

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:48 pm
Profile WWW
Angels & Demons

Corpse wrote:

You can't take a total in a local currency and convert that into another currency (JPY to USD in this case) and expect an accurate number. You'll get the number of whatever the exchange rate at the time of conversion is, but doing this with a total over a long period of time is totally inaccurate.

Exchange rates change daily. They largely stay consistent in the short time, from a few weeks to a month or more sometimes, but they'll almost always change by a noticeable amount over a longer period of time at least a couple of times. And the larger the number you're converting, the more inaccurate (or higher/lower in terms of gross) the conversion is going to become.

If you go look at my daily tracker for the film, you'll probably run across some days where the number is the same in JPY but slightly different in USD, and that's due to the exchange rate being different enough on those days to change the USD figure.

The dollar has strengthened versus the yen for the better part of this year (not a lot, but enough to see a shift), so converting the now 6-month total will be noticeably lower than the more accurate total that was calculated using daily/weekly conversions throughout its entire run. It won't ever be truly 100% accurate since weekday totals aren't released, and are estimated, which can slightly change the result if the exchange rate either dipped/rose on a random weekday or two during the course of the run, but it'll be very, very close (think 99%).

Thanks for that explanation!

Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:12 pm
Angels & Demons

I see new projections that Demon Slayer would make $11,000,000 – $16,000,000 first weekend and gross $20,000,000 – $30,000,000 total. Does that sound reasonable?

Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:34 pm
Wall-E

Corpse wrote:

I edit wikipedia at times (though not that page in particular) and had already noticed the problem, but didn't intervene because wikipedia editors can often be incredibly stubborn (particularly for anime and the likes) even when in the wrong.

From my understanding giving a quick read through the talk page the problem was that some people did not want user-converted numbers in the page, so they settled on using one from an article (I doubt the guys who write these articles have any clue what they're doing, though, beyond just giving a "quick idea" of how much the yen number means to those reading, so they just convert the total).

I could try getting into it, but without an "official"(ish) source reporting a more accurate number, I'm assuming it would only lead to edit wars. I know it sounds dumb, but that's just how it is with wikipedia a lot of the time, unfortunately. Even if you know it's wrong it's often not worth the hassle to try arguing about it.

Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:48 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

I understand. In general, you don't want uncredited/official sourced information being posted. And fact is, you won't find this when discussing converted gross figures since it doesn't really exist. There are errors all over the place from notable outlets (like Variety or Deadline) involving incorrect USD figures (or any other currently that's being converted to) because writers/reporters just take the number in local currency and convert it using the most recent exchange rate.

I don't care too much as long as those who post or lurk on this forum know that it's not an accurate figure, and why it's not an accurate figure.

Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:33 am
Profile WWW
Angels & Demons

https://twitter.com/meJat32/status/1383461714176339976

This seems good for the push for Demon Slayer toward 500 million.

Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:01 pm
Angels & Demons

Also I heard that an anime movie hasn't been #1 in the US box office for the weekend since Pokemon the First Movie and gosh $85.7 million Gross and $10.1 million Opening Day. Do you think any anime film will gross anywhere close to that (yes I know Demon Slayer isn't likely to do that even with all its trending and hype)

Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:08 pm
Angels & Demons

Corpse wrote:
I understand. In general, you don't want uncredited/official sourced information being posted. And fact is, you won't find this when discussing converted gross figures since it doesn't really exist. There are errors all over the place from notable outlets (like Variety or Deadline) involving incorrect USD figures (or any other currently that's being converted to) because writers/reporters just take the number in local currency and convert it using the most recent exchange rate.

I don't care too much as long as those who post or lurk on this forum know that it's not an accurate figure, and why it's not an accurate figure.

Thank you Corpse for explaining to us what's happened to Wiki.

Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:56 pm
Angels & Demons

https://twitter.com/meJat32/status/1383 ... 42504?s=20

Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:04 pm
The Kramer

Surprised my local 6 screener is playing it and even more surprised the shows are all almost sold out. Hope it stays for a second week!

Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:29 pm
Angels & Demons

Indeed! Hopefully Funimation can get theaters to make it more than just a novelty thing.

Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:31 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

I don't think it's a one-week only engagement. Otherwise, they wouldn't wait until June for the digital release.

Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:16 pm
Profile WWW
Full Fledged Member

so there is no hope for KNY release in china at all? only about month and half away from digital release.
Sad because its the most popular one in china by far and it would help drive the WW gross to insane levels.

Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:30 pm
Angels & Demons

KNYtracker777 wrote:
so there is no hope for KNY release in china at all? only about month and half away from digital release.
Sad because its the most popular one in china by far and it would help drive the WW gross to insane levels.

I've been looking for confirmation also and can't find one. I agree it's quite sad. Watching the 5 episodes where each VAs for japan china and US talked with each other regarding their experience dubbing the movie gave me hope it would release someday but now with a few weeks to go before digital release and KNY MT's chance to top the 2020 market beating China I doubt they would release it there. :tears: :tears: :tears: (If Anyone knows otherwise, please correct me, thank you!)

Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:41 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

I really doubt it at this point, and wouldn't expect any conformation. It was "postponed" like 4 months ago (maybe 5) due to its violence. Surely a decision would have been made by now.

The good things is, it won't need a release in China to become the #1 film worldwide of 2020. It may even get the title before the end of April.

Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:52 pm
Profile WWW
Angels & Demons

Corpse would be able to update the totals to what I found. Plus there was the South Africa release last weekend that you didn't update with.

Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:16 pm
Angels & Demons

Corpse wrote:
I really doubt it at this point, and wouldn't expect any conformation. It was "postponed" like 4 months ago (maybe 5) due to its violence. Surely a decision would have been made by now.

The good things is, it won't need a release in China to become the #1 film worldwide of 2020. It may even get the title before the end of April.

Thank you Corpse!

Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:29 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

First post updated with the most recent available numbers you guy have shared. A few may be a week old (As of April 12th), so if you have any new figures, please share them.

As it stands, it's at ~$435.11 million.

Let's see where the U.S./Canada, Mexico, Central America (Various) and Latin America (Various) propel it to next week! I'm going to assume it'll break at least $450 million come next Sunday.

What is the most official (accurate) number for The Eight Hundred? I've seen a couple. BOM's (if it's accurate) $461.34 million looks like it could fall before the end of April.

Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:17 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

And guys, if you want to see what happens when you convert a local currently (total) using the exchange rate at the time versus during the course of the run, just look at Demon Slayer's VERY wrong numbers at BOM:

Jan 23-24 1 $1,769,449 -9.7% - - - $352,188,423 15
Jan 30-31 2 $1,612,190 -8.9% - - - $352,352,307 16
Feb 6-7 2 $1,378,947 -14.5% - - - $352,779,036 17
Feb 13-14 3 $1,151,606 -16.5% - - - $357,242,039 18
Feb 20-21 2 $1,429,164 +24.1% - - - $358,242,581 19
Feb 27-28 2 $1,460,459 +2.2% - - - $357,894,506 20
Mar 6-7 1 $1,501,382 +2.8% - - - $354,966,736 21
Mar 13-14 2 $796,554 -46.9% - - - $354,146,689 22
Mar 20-21 4 $759,993 -4.6% - - - $356,173,197 23
Mar 27-28 3 $1,550,900 +104.1% - - - $356,062,994 24
Apr 3-4 2 $2,142,042 +38.1% - - - $356,279,573 25
Apr 10-11 4 $655,444 -69.4% - - - $361,272,089 26

.... :funny: There is not a single week (total) here that isn't glaringly wrong.

From just the weekends, just the weekends, they have it earning around $16.5 million. Not even accounting for the weekdays, which have been just as strong as the weekends. Yet its total during all that time has only gone up by $9.1 million (its total even dropped several weeks, and week 18 is higher than week 25.).

You see stuff like this a lot with films that have long runs because, surprise, exchange rates don't stay the same. And it happens often with films in Japan because runs tend to be longer than many other markets, making then subject to more frequent exchage rate changes.

And wikipedia will often use BOM as an "official" source, so their numbers are often wrong too. Harry Potter 1 was one of the most extreme cases of this (which I've corrected on any charts it appears on in my thread), but I think Demon Slayer has overtaken it as the most extreme now.

Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:27 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 628 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 26  Next