Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 TV Shows or miniseries on the big screen 
Veteran

Post TV Shows or miniseries on the big screen
Crazy idea but do you think popular shows like Game of Thrones or The Wire could work on the big screen? I for one wouldn’t mind seeing certain episodes of Game of Thrones on imax. It could help tide theaters over while giving morsels to those who do want a theatrical experience. Would there be enough demand you think?

I was blind, but now I see.

Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:21 pm
The Kramer

Post Re: TV Shows or miniseries on the big screen
It works in Japan.

The issue would be that anyone who has not seen the show would be immediately alienated. American Studios probably think it is easier to just adapt the show into something “new” to bring in fresh audiences along with the nostalgic crowd.

I’d be cool with dropping a few bucks to see each new episode of The Mandalorian or The Boys if that’s what helps save movie theaters.

Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:26 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

It won't work. I think most Americans specially in this economy and climate would not pay for something they can watch in the comfort of home

Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:03 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Regarding Japan, most of their biggest films are indeed based on TV shows or anime. A lot of shows do have their season finales released as a theatrical release, or go a step further and end the show all together with a theatrical release, so they're able to translate their viewership into ticket sales at the theaters very well.

However, Japan is a market where broadcast TV is still popular. It's declined over the past decade, yes, but a lot of TV dramas and such still earn weekly household ratings between 10-20% (5-10 million viewers), and some of the biggest shows can still crack 20% sometimes (10 million+ viewers). Almost nothing airing during normal hours dips below 4/5% (2/3 million viewers), really.

The U.S. is a different market, so I wouldn't expect the vast majority of their shows to work nearly as well in theaters. I think some of the bigger ones with large or dedicated bases could find success though. Piracy is also an issue to deal with in the U.S. and a lot of markets. Piracy is nearly non-exist in Japan.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:13 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

That's interesting, Corpse. I like the option of seeing a season finale in a theater.

I can see the last few episodes of the Friends series finale working well on the big screen. Other shows with a strong fanbase like The Expanse, Battlestar Galactica, or Star Trek: NextGen might want to see a Greatest Hits collection in a theater.

Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:24 pm
Hold the door!

Don’t see why it would do worse than film rereleases.

Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:42 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

The battle of the bastards and the zombie attack on Winterfell would've been amazing on the big screen and much more exciting than any DisneyMarvel production.

Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:28 pm
Veteran

The Mandalorian is another series that could play well on the big screen but Disney won’t want to cannibalize Disney Plus eyeballs. That’s besides the fact that the studio is shifting more resource and focus towards streaming.

Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:47 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Yeah this will not happen any time soon.

Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:58 pm
The Kramer

What if Disney buys AMC and bundles D+ with A-List? :hahaha:

Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:31 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

It could happen in 2022 I guess.

Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:01 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

The studios honestly should buy the chains, because it doesn't look like any relief is coming anytime soon. Don't want to get political, but nothing is going to happen in Congress until February at the earliest (and that's hopeful thinking even). Can you imagine not doing your job for months on end and still being employed? Yeah, neither can I.

However, I also read a Japanese article actually discussing the issue in America regarding this (the majority of Japanese theaters are owned by studios), and apparently the studios... can't buy them in the U.S. At least, not under the current anti-trust laws here. Perhaps there's a legal means of working around this, but Disney buying AMC and/or Regal and Warner Bros. buying AMC and/or Regal would likely create lawsuits from other studios, so... doesn't seem like a real possibility.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:20 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

Corpse wrote:
The studios honestly should buy the chains, because it doesn't look like any relief is coming anytime soon. Don't want to get political, but nothing is going to happen in Congress until February at the earliest (and that's hopeful thinking even). Can you imagine not doing your job for months on end and still being employed? Yeah, neither can I.

However, I also read a Japanese article actually discussing the issue in America regarding this (the majority of Japanese theaters are owned by studios), and apparently the studios... can't buy them in the U.S. At least, not under the current anti-trust laws here. Perhaps there's a legal means of working around this, but Disney buying AMC and/or Regal and Warner Bros. buying AMC and/or Regal would likely create lawsuits from other studios, so... doesn't seem like a real possibility.

Here’s a thread on the recent end of the Paramount Consent decree, which will make it easier for studios to own theaters in the US
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87083&p=2263933&hilit=Paramount#p2263933

Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:51 am

Cool

Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:16 am
Veteran

Between the recent move by WB/HBO Max, and Disney's increased focus on streaming, I'm not sure there is appetite for throwing movie theaters a bone.

Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:25 pm
The Kramer

What would open higher: The Mandalorian finale or Wonder Woman 1984? I’d bank on Mando.

Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:56 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

I know SW has loyal fanbase but you are over predicting is reach. If this would have been first time seeing Baby Yoda then maybe but as such WW84 would easily out open Mando.

Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:29 am
Forum General

I would definitely pay to see some of those episodes of The Mandalorian on the bigscreen, but I don't know about it easily out opening WW84 given the fact that both would pretty much be available for streaming at the same time.

Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]