Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 Disney left some money on the table in 2019 
Waitress in LA

Post Disney left some money on the table in 2019
We all know Disney had their best year ever last year, but some money was left on the table and today I’m going to take a look at the particular films that could’ve made even more money:

The Lion King
This movie was really hyped (it’s first teaser had 224M views), and opened to a July record $191.8M, within the range of $185-225M that Box Office Pro predicted and above the $150-170M that the trades predicted (I guess after the TS4 overpredictions, they wanted to be cautious). I personally predicted $200M OW so it wasn’t far off from my prediction. Many thought it would have some legs and get to $600M+ at the US box office. However, its domestic legs weren’t as great as expected. It closed with a respectable $543.6M. While that’s the highest of the remakes, it still could have done much better if the reception was better. Internationally it made up for it though with a massive $1.113B int’l cine, for $1.657B worldwide (so close to passing Jurassic World’s $1.67B). This is obviously a great result and shows how audiences were really excited for this movie, but had it actually been beloved, we could’ve seen it do Infinity War numbers. So I think money ($1.7-2B) was left on the table here, and if it was a better movie it could’ve done more.

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
Another potential biggie for Disney, this one turned out to be a disappointment, despite making over $1B. Why is it a disappointment? Well, it’s the lowest grossing of the trilogy. As we all know, TFA set box office records ($936.7M in the US alone), and TLJ was absolutely hated by SW fans, a likely cause of it decreasing by over $700M from TFA ($2.068B), and only making $1.3B WW. But I expected TROS to have the ROTJ/ROTS effect and gross more than TLJ (or about similar to TLJ). I predicted about $200-225M OW, $640-650M DOM, and $1.3-1.4B WW, but boy was I wrong. TROS got mixed critical reception despite having JJ Abrams as the director. Opening weekend was the lowest of the trilogy with $177.4M, and it so far looks to finish at $515M (worse than Rogue One in 2016). Worldwide it may or may not pass TS4 and Joker ($1.074B and $1.073B respectively). This just shows that reception was mixed. I liked TFA and TLJ but TROS...well it wasn’t BAD but it was very messy. I really think that had Disney actually managed this trilogy properly, all 3 entries could’ve done $2B (or at the very least $1.6B). This just shows that rushing the trilogy did more harm than good. There’s absolutely no reason why every film in the trilogy should decrease from one another.

Had they not had these issues, they could’ve had a lot more money, which I’m sure they would’ve wanted.

Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:21 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Post Re: Disney left some money on the table in 2019
I'm a big SW fan, and enjoyed TLJ quite a bit, most fans did. Personally the marketing for both sequels were very lazy, plus over saturation from films and TV, and future products that it lost the "end of saga" ploy Sith and Jedi enjoyed. TLK was always going to disappointment due to high expectations and over performance of the other remakes.

At the end of the day Disney singlehandedly dominated the top 8 (I'll include Spider-man) and all over 300 million. And the overperformances really make up for the 100-150 million TLK and ROS could have done more combined. So in the grand scheme, it all evened out and Disney did way over what they were expecting for the year.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:45 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

I think they intentionally rushed a bunch of stuff out for 2019. Not sure exactly why, I assume partly to bolster Disney+.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:34 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Yeah I don't think much was left on the table. Some movies were going to do a little better than others. I actually think Aladdin had more potential if all things were right for it from the beginning abd yet it still managed to overperform. Whatever these two missed in domestic and WW, Aladdin single handedly made up for it.

Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:05 pm
Devil's Advocate

I think they rushed things for Disney+ but in the end TLK and Aladdin still did ok. TLK would've made more if it was amazing, but can you count on a Disney remake to be amazing?

Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:35 pm
Extraordinary

A movie making $1.6 billion being considered an underperformer is bizarre. Even if the movie was on the level of the animated I don't see it making much more overseas but domestically sure, it'd do more. I'm glad it's Aladdin getting the sequel.

Rise of Skywalker performance is neither great or bad, just like the movie.

Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:44 pm
Waitress in LA

publicenemy#1 wrote:
A movie making $1.6 billion being considered an underperformer is bizarre. Even if the movie was on the level of the animated I don't see it making much more overseas but domestically sure, it'd do more. I'm glad it's Aladdin getting the sequel.

Rise of Skywalker performance is neither great or bad, just like the movie.

TLK isn’t an underperformed by any means, but those $2B predictions on Reddit could’ve been real if it was a better movie.

Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:56 pm
Waitress in LA

But man 2019 despite not breaking 2018’s record was still absurd as fuck. 9 billion-dollar movies and 7/9 from Disney. Fucking crazy.

Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:10 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

If it weren't for Disney+ there is no way they would have opened Aladdin and TLK in the same year, let alone the same summer.

While the Disney regime has performed miracles over the past decade (mainly due to acquiring the biggest film brands) they have also been short sighted in regards to theatrical (Star Wars glut and 2019 output a result).

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:22 pm
Veteran

From a shareholder/profit perspective, Dumbo was the big miss and I'm sure investors were disappointed in SW: TROS returns (even though it likely made a healthy profit). Both TROS and Dumbo were each expected to make at least $100m more domestically and do even better WW.

However, I feel like Lion King made up for its domestic 'underperformance' with their OS numbers, as you mentioned.

$1.7B is $1.7B no matter how you got there.

I was blind, but now I see.

Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:06 am
Waitress in LA

lilmac wrote:
From a shareholder/profit perspective, Dumbo was the big miss and I'm sure investors were disappointed in SW: TROS returns (even though it likely made a healthy profit). Both TROS and Dumbo were each expected to make at least $100m more domestically and do even better WW.

However, I feel like Lion King made up for its domestic 'underperformance' with their OS numbers, as you mentioned.

$1.7B is $1.7B no matter how you got there.

Yes TLK did great internationally to make up for its domestic. Domestic if it was good it could’ve done $600M+, but it appeared to be more frontloaded for a family film.

Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:15 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

Dumbo was enjoyable. A shame it couldn't make more.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:52 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

The only problem with Dumbo was its budget.in order to ship it faster Disney burned a lot of money and then had too many bigger and better to products to market in parallel

Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:41 pm
Veteran

Post I'd sell Disney stock if I had any
After putting all their eggs in the 2019 basket, all expected a down year for Disney. It's not surprise that it's ringing true so far. However, other studios came out the gate stronger than usual and there's a widely held sentiment that Disney will eventually be the #1 studio in 2020 in terms of boxoffice revenue. But are we sure Disney will win the year with Eternals, Soul, Artemis Fowl, Mulan, and Black Widow (and the untitled November animated release)? Can't speak for international but domestically, it's not guaranteed they'll beat Sony / Warner Brothers with that lineup.

Also, even if the COVID-19 outbreak plateaus in the next few weeks, their theme parks will feel the aftershocks for months, and see depressed attendance.

Right now Disney+ is still more of a cost center due to the upfront costs. And besides Baby Yoda, there isn't much beyond their legacy product. ESPN is still dragging earnings.

Right now their businesses are very much exposed to anything that limits going outside and they're not the unassailable behemoth that I grew accustomed to thinking of them as.

I was blind, but now I see.

Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:45 am
Devil's Advocate

Clearly Disney knew coronavirus was coming hence they put all their biggest movies in 2019 and left 2020 relatively empty / Alex Jones

Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:12 pm
The Incredible Hulk

Disney's 2020 schedule is far from empty. It can't even postpone Mulan in several countries because it has no more timeslot that will not crash with another Disney's movies (Fox included)

Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]