Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 924 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 37  Next
 COVID-19 and box office 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: COVID-19 and box office
A delayed release in Japan is strategically the right move. I now think Disney is hoping Mulan will do well by being the only blockbuster in theaters for a long time.....though still don't think that's the right strategy in this atmosphere. Well they can always re-release it.

Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:53 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

Shit getting real fast.

The opening round of the F1 season is in a week's time here in Melbourne. I've been every year for 2 decades but now getting pressure from my wife not to go (it's a big event for me so I'm stressing over it).

What would you guys do (assume its an event you love to attend)?

I attend all 3-days and meet up with alot of friends from around the world who visit. The main days get about 100k people per day.

I am a little concerned I must admit.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:11 pm
Homo Dperious

Seattle is a ghost town. Still only affecting a small percentage of the country. We will see what happens if and when it spreads.

Hopefully this helps contain it in Washington or at least slows the spread. I still think Italy and South Korea might turn the corner, but it it’s unknown how much worse it might get before it gets better. If it’s not contained, it means China’s measures made the difference.

Most people in Iran will soon have it. 8% of the parliament has it (23 of 290). Either the virus has a bias against high ranking Iranian officials or its far worse than reported in the country. It could also be almost impossible to eradicate with it having become so widespread. Even if there is a vaccine, the virus can mutate, like flu and cold viruses tend to. I don’t think they will ever get rid of it in countries like Iran and it therefore will be hard to prevent it from eventually spreading to the developed world.

China’s main challenge looks to become preventing the virus’s return from abroad.

If the Diamond Princess is representative, the mortality rate might be 1%. 7 of about 700 infected people died. It’s the only population with a census rather than a survey since I believe they tested everyone.

Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:16 pm
Profile ICQ
KJ's Leading Idiot

MadGez wrote:
Shit getting real fast.

The opening round of the F1 season is in a week's time here in Melbourne. I've been every year for 2 decades but now getting pressure from my wife not to go (it's a big event for me so I'm stressing over it).

I attend all 3-days and meet up with alot of friends from around the world who visit. The main days get about 100k people per day.

I would still go and take necessary precautions (take masks, wear full clothes). Its impossible to breathe in the virus so proper sanitation and avoiding touch (specially when folks are sweaty) is the key.

Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:45 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Big Tuesday for all films. Call was up 95% most kid films over 80%

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:46 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

Jack Sparrow wrote:
MadGez wrote:
Shit getting real fast.

I would still go and take necessary precautions (take masks, wear full clothes). Its impossible to breathe in the virus so proper sanitation and avoiding touch (specially when folks are sweaty) is the key.

:thumbsup:

Yes I was thinking of just ensuring that I have hand sanitizer, wash hands, dont touch face etc.

The only place I'd use a mask is when walking through the overhead bridges which are like tubes.

The sweaty bit is interesting. It is usually hot (though not recently). I'll consider that.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:16 am
Defeats all expectations

First, underestimate the impact resulting in inadequate diagnostic testing. Second, downplay the significance of community transmission. Now, treat this like it's nothing and say infected people get better by sitting around and going to work. That was some twisted advice from the president of the US.

Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:18 am
Defeats all expectations

DP07 wrote:
Seattle is a ghost town. Still only affecting a small percentage of the country. We will see what happens if and when it spreads.

Hopefully this helps contain it in Washington or at least slows the spread. I still think Italy and South Korea might turn the corner, but it it’s unknown how much worse it might get before it gets better. If it’s not contained, it means China’s measures made the difference.

Most people in Iran will soon have it. 8% of the parliament has it (23 of 290). Either the virus has a bias against high ranking Iranian officials or its far worse than reported in the country. It could also be almost impossible to eradicate with it having become so widespread. Even if there is a vaccine, the virus can mutate, like flu and cold viruses tend to. I don’t think they will ever get rid of it in countries like Iran and it therefore will be hard to prevent it from eventually spreading to the developed world.

China’s main challenge looks to become preventing the virus’s return from abroad.

If the Diamond Princess is representative, the mortality rate might be 1%. 7 of about 700 infected people died. It’s the only population with a census rather than a survey since I believe they tested everyone.

The WHO revised the mortality rate to 3.4% from 2.3% on Tuesday. The Diamond Princess could be a special case because the sick were isolated early and received proper medical care.

Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:22 am
Homo Dperious

i.hope wrote:
DP07 wrote:

The WHO revised the mortality rate to 3.4% from 2.3% on Tuesday. The Diamond Princess could be a special case because the sick were isolated early and received proper medical care.

But the WHO’s numbers are based on the over 3000 that died of the 90,000 confirmed cases. That lacks the many more likely undetected cases. With the 2009 influenza pandemic the mortality rate ended up being revised downward. The Princess Diamond included many asymptomatic cases, while the Chinese cases, on which the WHO’s estimate is mostly based, includes few asymptomatic cases.

Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:54 am
Profile ICQ
Defeats all expectations

DP07 wrote:
i.hope wrote:
DP07 wrote:

But the WHO’s numbers are based on the over 3000 that died of the 90,000 confirmed cases. That lacks the many more likely undetected cases. With the 2009 influenza pandemic the mortality rate ended up being revised downward. The Princess Diamond included many asymptomatic cases, while the Chinese cases, on which the WHO’s estimate is mostly based, includes few asymptomatic cases.

You're mostly right about the differences between Diamond Princess and China. But I'd like to think people on the cruise ship got better medical attention than people in China did because it received a lot of media spotlight. And I remain skeptical about China's figures.

Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:38 am
Hold the door!

publicenemy#1 wrote:
If it gets delayed then we'll probably get an announcement this week. It seems like its too late but who knows.

If they do Mulan I say give it Soul's date and move Soul to Fall.

They already have Raya and the Last Dragon in November, that feels like much more of a November movie, I doubt they move that.

Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:21 am
Extraordinary

Italy not slowing down at all:

3,858/148 (+769/+41)

Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:54 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Yeah those Italy numbers are really concerning. Also the fact that both in India and US it was Italian travelers that were the carriers have a LOT of people concerned throughout the world. Their death count is rising at a VERY high speed as well.

Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:32 pm
Extraordinary

Local government in a French département closed 44 theaters (145 screens) for two weeks...

Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:00 am
Profile WWW
Defeats all expectations

SXSW will not happen this month.

Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:27 pm
Veteran

In the age of COVID-19, $200m is the new $300m, $300m is the new $400m and so on.

I was blind, but now I see.

Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:55 am
Speed Racer

If it gets really bad, I wonder if some films will be sold to streaming? Looking at smaller films, mostly.

Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:15 pm
Extraordinary

Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:14 pm
Profile WWW
100% That Bitch

With Italy about to go on lockdown, and France now going through the second worst crisis in Europe. Overseas box office is going down, fast

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:48 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019%E2 ... _territory

A huge spike in numbers over last two days in Switzerland, UK, Netherlands, Belgium, Sweden and Norway. Also it went from 89 countries to 102 in last two days.

Singapore numbers are also increasing due to detection of another big cluster with 30+ cases detected from there. Luckily few of the very old cases thought to be critical /dead (big internal rumors) were released last night.

Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:22 pm
Extraordinary

Italy is quarantining 16m people and closing all movie theaters until at least April 3rd...

Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:27 am
Profile WWW
Veteran

Is anyone else skeptical of the coronavirus numbers from each country? Whether it's due to deliberate government interference or inadequate, improper or insufficient procedures, I think the number of cases could be triple what we have now. People have been asymptomatic, still caught the virus and yet have been able to transmit to others through contact or droplets spawning another cluster.

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/hkreleasedates

Blog: http://hkreleasedates.blogspot.com

Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:34 am
Extraordinary

So Italy closed all its theaters on Sunday, but b.o. was dead anyway as the Top Ten movies earned just €325,090 ($357,599) from Thursday to Saturday...

Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:58 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Bluebomb wrote:
Is anyone else skeptical of the coronavirus numbers from each country? Whether it's due to deliberate government interference or inadequate, improper or insufficient procedures, I think the number of cases could be triple what we have now. People have been asymptomatic, still caught the virus and yet have been able to transmit to others through contact or droplets spawning another cluster.

Be sceptical of Iran and U.S. numbers:
Iran lisn't trustworthy anyway and U.S. numbers are depressed because only 1,600 people got tested so far. If you don't test, you don't have any positive results...

Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:59 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Bluebomb wrote:

Not to go all conspiracy theory, but I suspect every government has been making an effort to suppress the actual numbers to minimize panic. I've never believed the CDC has been completely forthright with us here in the states.

Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:00 am
Reply to topic   [ 924 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 37  Next