Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 924 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 37  Next
 COVID-19 and box office 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: COVID-19 and box office
Singapore has been forth coming with daily information of new cases everyday and there are plenty of tests done here throughout the country. Don't know about other countries but there is no conspiracy here.

Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:36 am
The Kramer

Rumors had Coachella announcing a cancellation today, but that hasn’t happened. I really hope it doesn’t, since that will mean my Sonic Temple fest will soon follow, but it sure seems likely at this point.

Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:09 pm
Extraordinary

Wow, all of Italy is now on lockdown...

Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:14 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

My employer just switched everyone to WFH for the time being.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:15 pm
Defeats all expectations

Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:20 pm
Homo Dperious

mark66 wrote:
Bluebomb wrote:
Is anyone else skeptical of the coronavirus numbers from each country? Whether it's due to deliberate government interference or inadequate, improper or insufficient procedures, I think the number of cases could be triple what we have now. People have been asymptomatic, still caught the virus and yet have been able to transmit to others through contact or droplets spawning another cluster.

Be sceptical of Iran and U.S. numbers:
Iran lisn't trustworthy anyway and U.S. numbers are depressed because only 1,600 people got tested so far. If you don't test, you don't have any positive results...

I know South Korea has tested far more and has seen a decrease in new cases. Detection is key to containment. Also may explain South Korea’s low mortality rate. Other countries are probably missing a large percentage of cases.

Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:31 pm
Profile ICQ
Defeats all expectations

DP07 wrote:
mark66 wrote:
Bluebomb wrote:
Is anyone else skeptical of the coronavirus numbers from each country? Whether it's due to deliberate government interference or inadequate, improper or insufficient procedures, I think the number of cases could be triple what we have now. People have been asymptomatic, still caught the virus and yet have been able to transmit to others through contact or droplets spawning another cluster.

Be sceptical of Iran and U.S. numbers:
Iran lisn't trustworthy anyway and U.S. numbers are depressed because only 1,600 people got tested so far. If you don't test, you don't have any positive results...

I know South Korea has tested far more and has seen a decrease in new cases. Detection is key to containment. Also may explain South Korea’s low mortality rate. Other countries are probably missing a large percentage of cases.

Testing is essential. It seems SK has passed the inflection point and total cases curve has started to level out.

Over 70% of SK's new cases were reported less than 10 days ago. It will take a few days for the virus to manifest and realize the true fatality rate.

Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:45 pm
Veteran

My work conference got cancelled and now I'm considering whether to cancel this event I'm putting together next week.

While I'm in the "this is overblown" camp, I do think twice about going to a theater. This surely will have ramifications for theatrical attendance across the globe for additional weeks, if not months.

Not that Onward would have done much better.

I was blind, but now I see.

Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:08 am
Veteran

Jack Sparrow wrote:
Singapore has been forth coming with daily information of new cases everyday and there are plenty of tests done here throughout the country. Don't know about other countries but there is no conspiracy here.
My comment wasn't to highlight countries with suspected government interference but to raise discussion and awareness about the possibility that this coronavirus is much more infectious than what many people are saying.

I think people are quick to point fingers without realizing or recognizing how they can stop the spread of the virus themselves.

lilmac wrote:
My work conference got cancelled and now I'm considering whether to cancel this event I'm putting together next week.

While I'm in the "this is overblown" camp, I do think twice about going to a theater. This surely will have ramifications for theatrical attendance across the globe for additional weeks, if not months.

Not that Onward would have done much better.
I don't particularly like this mindset, only because I feel most people who think this way have categorized people into 2 separate camps: Panic or Life goes on. I'm in the 3rd camp where I believe we should be cautious but not to buy 10 packs of rice at the supermarket like the sky is falling.

I believe movie theaters should close their doors until this virus has passed. Really any sort of function. Sporting events, religious gatherings, schools, work. How long can we put profit before humanity? Are our lives really that dispensable?

If movie theaters can get by with 1 showing with no coronavirus cases, how long are they going to risk it? Till someone gets infected? That seems like they're reacting rather than being proactive at stopping something as silent as this coronavirus.

Again, this post isn't really directed at one person but to promote discussion on the micro/macro aspects of the coronavirus and its impact.
mark66 wrote:
Wow, all of Italy is now on lockdown...
I agree with this.

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/hkreleasedates

Blog: http://hkreleasedates.blogspot.com

Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:54 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

While I agree with most of your points Blue I think the way things are heading we might just get used to living with the virus. I don't think this virus is yet a threat to humanity and while precautions need to be taken they should be in-check as well. We should not go into an apocalypse mode and stop living with our lives.

Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:13 am
Extraordinary

PETER RABBIT 2 postponed to August...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... rs-1283449

Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:50 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

April blows

Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:47 pm
The Kramer

Yeah I'm seriously considering cancelling my A-list. I have to decide by the end of the day. Only must-see between now and Black Widow is A Quiet Place, and if the theater is empty that won't be nearly as fun.

In good news, China seems confident they have the virus under control in Wuhan. So at least it's not mutating yet, and while the rest of the world's governments won't be able to get away with such a strict quarantine, it shows it can be done.

In bad news, Coachella did get postponed. So the next few months of events are still up in the air.

Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:45 pm
Forum General

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
In good news, China seems confident they have the virus under control in Wuhan.

Based on what they are telling us. Their track record for honesty isn't encouraging and maintaining a block on social media is suspect.

Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:51 pm
Extraordinary

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
So at least it's not mutating yet

Actually, Chinese scientists reported that there are two different Corona strains out there. The more agressive L-Type (which 70 % of the people got) and the somewhat weaker S-Type...

Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:28 pm
Profile WWW
100% That Bitch

DragCon LA has been cancelled :(

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:12 pm
Extraordinary

US cases approaching 1,000. As more people get tested I wonder where we'll be at by the end of the week.

I think Quiet Place's opening is gonna be interesting. Mulan seems like too big a film to risk this release but who knows.

Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:14 pm
Romosexual!

Coronavirus taketh 2020's box office and will giveth 2021's boxoffice.

Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:19 pm
Indiana Jones IV

I can't find showtimes for any theaters around me, did theaters decide to close down? :huh:

Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:31 pm
Profile WWW
Quality is a great business plan

I saw at BOT that German big theater chain will keep theaters open but will sell only 95 tickets per show maximum and keep gaps between people. Not sure if that is suffice but this will only impact big movies.

I used to be shawman.

Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:04 pm
Extraordinary

Keyser Söze wrote:
I saw at BOT that German big theater chain will keep theaters open but will sell only 95 tickets per show maximum and keep gaps between people. Not sure if that is suffice but this will only impact big movies.

No restrictions yet on German theaters, but Austria has put restrictions (only 99 people crowds allowed indoors).

The Austrian restrictions are the same as in the Czech Republic and over there the biggest theater chain has therefore closed all its theaters...

Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:08 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

That's better than not running all together I guess and mostly there won't be enough people to fill those 100 seats anyways.

Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:18 pm
Extraordinary

Poland is closing its theaters starting tomorrow...

Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:25 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Can't say I agree with the March Madness decision, unless you believe Italy, etc. overreacted playing to empty arenas. Theaters are a perfect example to practice 'social distancing' and our smaller, non-chain cinema has already removed the self-serve soda and butter stations from the lobby.

Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:03 pm
Extraordinary

Italy numbers today: 12,462/827 (+2,313/+196)

Getting worse every day and a little reminder: 26 days ago it was 3/0...

Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:05 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 924 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 37  Next