Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 924 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 37  Next
 COVID-19 and box office 
On autopilot for the summer

Post Re: COVID-19 and box office
Yeah, a down year in paper is not exactly the same thing as a total global collapse of multiple industries.

And 2019 was down from 2018 anyway. 2015 was the year that the next couple years the industry was still adjusting too.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:45 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Rev wrote:
Jack Sparrow wrote:
It is indeed very sad but then again there weren't any huge blockbusters this year anyways. I do feel that Hollywood needs to change strategy otherwise they are digging their own grave.

#FakeNews #Lies

See you contradict your own statements later down. I never said anything about the overall year I just mentioned there weren't huge blockbusters that were guaranteed to cross $500m domestic and $1b WW. I'm not saying it wouldn't have happened but on paper this wasn't a blockbuster heavy year.

Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:43 pm
100% That Bitch

The only locks were Black Widow and WW84

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:16 pm
On autopilot for the summer

They were not even 350 locks, let alone 500

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:52 pm
100% That Bitch

I meant the $1B ww.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:58 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Mau wrote:
I meant the $1B ww.

I disagree that they were locks for $1b but given the state of the year they were highly likely to get there. Along with them there was No Time to Die because Spectre did more worldwide than WW.

Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:58 pm
Extraordinary

All movie theaters in the Czech Republic had to close Monday for at least two weeks due to a dramatic hike in Covid cases...

Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:26 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

mark66 wrote:
All movie theaters in the Czech Republic had to close Monday for at least two weeks due to a dramatic hike in Covid cases...

Crap more bad news :(

Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:36 am
Dont Mess with the Gez

Our cinemas in Melbourne have been closed since July. Other states at least had Tenet open. Not here. Hoping they reopen in November.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:02 am
100% That Bitch

AMC now says they may go broke duinrg the first few months of 2021 if things don't get better which... they won't

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:08 pm
The Dark Knight

Yeah, things will probably not go back to normal until summer 2021 at the earliest. And as far as mass gatherings are concerned late 2021/early 2022 is probably a better bet.

Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:25 pm
Veteran

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/dan- ... 234796386/
Quote:
My understanding is that the old-line executives don’t want to go over the top with their big tentpole movies, which is why they announced they were pushing ‘Black Widow” and other movies to 2021,” Loeb said. “I don’t think they appreciate the tiger they have by the tail, which is to say the value they can drive by moving into a subscription model, which has been adopted by everyone from Microsoft to Amazon. It’s so value accretive.”

He’s not wrong...

It will be interesting if in 2021/2022 when it is largely safe to return to theaters, moviegoers will just wait for a permanently shortened theatrical window. That, not a 18 month shutdown, will mark the downfall of the theatrical experience.

I was blind, but now I see.

Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:11 am
Hold the door!

So theaters in New York State are reopening! Maybe Wonder Woman and other films can keep their dates now.

Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:24 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

That's good news but didn't major theater chain closed a month back? I think it's too late for blockbusters on November but December can still work.

Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:44 am
Veteran

Wonder Woman...$400m WW plus millions more in PVOD. Could happen.
Hopefully California opens up.

Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:13 pm
Veteran

I really want to see Dune on the big screen. There’s a reason why you watch expensive films on the big screen. There’s a calibration given to big budget spectacles. It’s like bringing quality food home. Something gets lost in the process. It’s not the same.

Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:34 pm
Devil's Advocate

There will probably be a 2nd wave in the US due to the cold, Europe is already blowing up again.

At some point you have to ask is there ANY evidence the lockdowns work? We were told the lockdowns were the only way to prevent millions of deaths. Ok, then why didn't Sweden get wiped off the map? Their death rate is like half as high as Peru's who had the most draconian lockdowns of anyone. South Dakota decided not to lock down and are 22nd in covid death rate. For having the oldest population Florida at 11th highest death rate did ok. The worst states hit by COVID are the heavy lockdown states NY and NJ. The US is a test case cause some states locked down more than others due to the ideological differences, so wouldn't we able to see it in the results if the lockdown states did any better? Yet 6 of the top 9 states in covid death per person including the top 4 will be voting Democrat by double digits this election (1. NJ 2. NY 3. Massachusetts, 4. Connecticut, 6. Rhode Island 8. Illinois) meaning not only did their governors lock down but their population was full of people afraid of COVID and social distancing on their own.

Are we supposed to treat China of evidence of anything? Like their official position is ZERO COVID deaths in 6 months in a country with billions of people. That's believable.

The lockdowns were a worthwhile experiment but after 6 months after testing them the evidence suggests no correlation between that and success. That may be because the lockdowns don't stop it because most people still leave their house every day for essential services, or that they're cancelled out by other factors like isolation and living in fear. Do we think that old people who haven't seen their grankids in 6 months aren't dying because of it? Meanwhile there are non covid related deaths caused by the lockdowns like suicide or people avoiding their doctors check ups.

The lockdowns sounding good on paper means nothing when it comes to them actually working. Why not learn from the evidence and change course instead of going for lockdown Round 2?

Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:25 pm
100% That Bitch

BEcaus eyour opinion is far more important than the experts on this topic. sorry but no. sit the fuck down about this. go vote for trump, early voting is ending.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:54 am
Hold the door!

There are no “experts” on COVID 19.

Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:18 am
llegó a la casa vía marítima

zwackerm wrote:
There are no “experts” on COVID 19.

Right? No one knows what the fuck they're doing. Some countries that followed the most stringent lockdown measures are worse off than countries that were very casual. Then some of those countries are suddenly doing horribly and scrambling to go into lockdown. New research comes out all the time contradicting previous findings, as you'd expect with a brand new disease.

It's a huge epic mess. It sucks that the entertainment world, that relies on crowds coming together, has been decimated by the lack of reliable knowledge since everyone's immediate reaction has been to limit all gatherings. If you think movie world is doing badly don't even look at live music. So many venues are never coming back, artists that are looking for a day job since streaming doesn't pay the bills, whole careers and industries across the world going up in smoke. You can't paralyze things for 6, 8, 10 months and expect to just come back as if nothing happened.

Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:26 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

I recommend reading this in full, an article from back in August: https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10 ... 01918/full

84% of the Japanese now wear masks in public (indoor and outdoor) according to polling last month. America isn't even at 50% yet according to a report I read yesterday. Mask-wearing has been normal in Japan (and East Asia) for many, many years, and I think before COVID-19 even started that over 40% of Japanese always wore a mask in public; and it's clearly helping them against this virus. Masks are helping, and even if they don't offer full protection, if enough of the public wear them, it helps on a tremendous scale.

But in addition to mask-wearing, the article explains how perception, and perceiving the virus as a serious threat and mask-wearing being perceived as a social norm when it may not necessarily be, both help motivate the public to do the same. This is where America, and many other countries, has really messed up, I believe. It's not about locking down. Japan was only on lockdown for about 6 weeks. Poor communication regarding the severity concerns and arguing/debating the usage of masks is the problem.

Perception is reality.

It's now been over a month in Japan since the government fully lifted capacity restrictions, not just at theaters, but at any small/medium venue. There are only restrictions on large venues like sporting arenas that can hold many tens of thousands of people at a time, but those are gradually being reduced as well.

Japan (pop. 126 million in a crowded space with nearly 40 million in the Tokyo area alone) is only recording a few hundred cases, sometimes up to 500+ range, a day since then. South Dakota, a state with a pop. under 900,000!, has been reporting similar daily cases, and have begun to report more daily cases than all of Japan. Nothing is closed in Japan. There are basically no capacity restrictions. They're still going out and enjoying their lives. They just wear masks and follow proper hand-washing and sanitary procedures 80/85% of the time.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:30 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Agreed wearing masks and proper hand sanitization has helped here as well. SG never went into a "lockdown" mode. Transport and daily facilities were always open here with about 4 weeks of mandated stay at home for 70% of the population here. Most of the restrictions have now been lifted (5 people in a small group and with permission about 250 people in large group are allowed) and Phase 3 is about to begin from November allowing bigger number of social gatherings for both small and large groups

Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:46 pm
100% That Bitch

ecuse me but what? the biggest and most important thing you can do is wear a mask. It has been shown to reduce contagion AND even if you get it only leads to less viral load and much more less chances of a severe case.

Wear a mask you morons.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:37 am
Romosexual!

Mau wrote:
ecuse me but what? the biggest and most important thing you can do is wear a mask. It has been shown to reduce contagion AND even if you get it only leads to less viral load and much more less chances of a severe case.

Wear a mask you morons.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:17 am
Hold the door!

I’m confused about the “less viral load” thing. Doesn’t an infection spread, so even if you only inhale one little bit of virus, it can still spread like wildfire throughout your body. Why would the amount you inhale matter?

Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:40 am
Reply to topic   [ 924 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 37  Next