Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 Friday Estimates [rip] 
Extraordinary

Post Friday Estimates [rip]
Pets - 16.5
Dark Phoenix - 14
Aladdin - 7

... embarrassing tbh. Last time an animated sequel dropped this much?

Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:01 pm
Forum General

Post Re: Friday Estimates [rip]
Really surprised at SLOP2. The first wasn't a cinematic masterpiece but basically every other kid who saw it said no thanks for the sequel?

Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:09 pm
Extraordinary

100m for Godzilla will probably happen but barely. Dark Phoenix will be lucky to hit 75m. Pets will probably limp to 175m.

All around atrocious. Aladdin and John Wick are having good drops though.

Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:12 pm
Hold the door!

Rolling Thunder wrote:
Really surprised at SLOP2. The first wasn't a cinematic masterpiece but basically every other kid who saw it said no thanks for the sequel?

Parents probably pushed their kids towards other options. I expect a similar opening or less for Minions 2. People are wising up to the crap Illumination releases.

Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:23 pm
Defeats all expectations

$280m seems locked for Aladdin. $300m is more likely than not. Double billing with Toy Story 4 should help its drop a lot.

Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:48 pm
Superfreak

The early June release date sucks. Everyone is spent after May/Memorial Day, it's finals/graduation/nice weather season.

Nowadays is so different than the 80s and 90s. W/ exception of Christmas, biggest openings happen when people are in the middle of life routine and want a break. Millennials LOVE their travel making most weekends poor choices.

Wonder Woman 1984 needs to move and get ahead of BLACK WIDOW if it wants to be the mega blockbuster it can be. The June 5th date sucks.

Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:08 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

The biggest issue with this film IMO was the fact that it looked like X-Men: The Last Stand 2.0. Some parts looked like a shot for shot remake in the trailer.

I think MCU should take a totally different approach with X-Men, slowly introducing characters in other films and focusing on the ones that never got the spotlight in the Fox X-Men films. They should steer clear of Wolverine, people associate him way too much with Hugh Jackman and I feel like replacing him would lead to backlash. Also unlikely they'd find someone who could do it as well as Jackman did. If I were Disney I would start by putting Storm in Black Panther 2, then maybe Emma Frost in the Black Widow film (no idea if this happened in the comics) or something like that, casually mention sentinels in the next Doctor Strange movie or something, and continue like that. Make the X-Men a background thing throughout the other films, and then when the next team-up movie comes out they can bring them all together. Audiences are clearly exhausted of actual X-Men movies.

Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:04 pm
Forum General

Dire numbers for DOFP, Pets 2 and Godzilla. I really didn't think DOFP could go sub $40M, but it looks like Apocalypse was the last straw for general audiences and people are just waiting for Marvel to reboot this franchise. I really do hope that they wait another 5 to 6 years before we see any of those characters again too, because after this the franchise needs a good long rest. At least Aladdin and John Wick are having good drops though.

Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:45 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

God awful numbers. 50-60% declines is completely abysmal.

I wouldn't be too surprised if Pets 2 struggles to reach $150 million, resulting in it finishing below its predecessor's first week in release... And Dark Phoenix looks to finish below the 4-day opening of Apocalypse.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:03 pm
Profile WWW
Homo Dperious

Excel wrote:
The early June release date sucks. Everyone is spent after May/Memorial Day, it's finals/graduation/nice weather season.

Nowadays is so different than the 80s and 90s. W/ exception of Christmas, biggest openings happen when people are in the middle of life routine and want a break. Millennials LOVE their travel making most weekends poor choices.

Wonder Woman 1984 needs to move and get ahead of BLACK WIDOW if it wants to be the mega blockbuster it can be. The June 5th date sucks.

I'm pretty sure it's the movies that make the release date and not the other way around. Post memorial day is usually almost a tentpole dumping ground. These movies might still make money, but often they are just looking for a summer date but can't hold a prime one against a true event film.

Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:16 pm
Profile ICQ
Devil's Advocate

I thought Secret Life of Pets 2 trailers were funny. Not sure how they messed this up so much with the first making 368 mil

Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:18 pm
Hold the door!

Shack wrote:
I thought Secret Life of Pets 2 trailers were funny. Not sure how they messed this up so much with the first making 368 mil

It made that much on momentum from the huge opening but no one liked it.

Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:47 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

The sad thing for the BO is that early June was supposed to help 2019 make up some of the deficit to 2018 before losing ground in the second half of June thanks to 2018s one two punch of TI2 and JW2.

Clearly 2019 isn't shaping up to be an epic decade ended like 89, 99 and 09!

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:13 am
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Sophie Turner did well marrying one of the Jonas Brothers (who just had a huge comeback), her career is over after this. Girl has the screen presence of a wooden plank.

Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:31 am
On autopilot for the summer

MadGez wrote:
The sad thing for the BO is that early June was supposed to help 2019 make up some of the deficit to 2018 before losing ground in the second half of June thanks to 2018s one two punch of TI2 and JW2.

Clearly 2019 isn't shaping up to be an epic decade ended like 89, 99 and 09!

It should beat it still.

TS4 and SFFH > JW2, TI2
MIB, DP > Ant Man
SLOP2 > HT3
Annabelle, Shaft, Child's Play > Ocean's 8.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:45 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

zwackerm wrote:
Rolling Thunder wrote:

Parents probably pushed their kids towards other options. I expect a similar opening or less for Minions 2. People are wising up to the crap Illumination releases.

LOL this isn't true.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:58 am
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]