Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Disney's 2020 - what will be their biggest movie? 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: Disney's 2020 - what will be their biggest movie?
I just hope it's restricted experiment with Mulan alone. And now I wish D+ doesn't release here anytime soon lol.

Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:16 pm
Defeats all expectations

It seems part of Mulan was filmed in Xinjiang with the help of the authorities there. The Chinese government has set up "re-education" camps in the region to round up and indoctrinate hundreds of thousands of people in the Ughur community, a blatant violation of human rights.

Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:33 pm
On autopilot for the summer

I was actually surprised that Disney chose not to have the Eddie Murphy sidekick role in the live action film because of China. I never saw the animated one, but that's the only thing I ever heard about (especially when it was Murphy re emerging as a box office star as a family figure.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:20 am
Extraordinary

Rumor has it Mulan hasn't done that well on Disney +. I am not really surprised. 30 bucks for a movie is hard to justify. And I just don't see it as a true family film. It looks too gritty for most families.

Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:55 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

If true, probably shouldn't have announced just days before its release that it'd be free for Disney+ subscribers in December. A good number of people were likely willing to wait at that point.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:59 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Mulan also might be flopping in China? That would be wonderful. Sorry Mulan, but I’m willing to sacrifice you to break the chain of the film industry bowing to our Chinese overlords.

Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:23 pm
Extraordinary

Mulan underwhelming at China would be pretty hilarious considering the lengths they made for it to try and "cater" to their audience. I didn't think the movie was bad but pretty forgettable.

Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:03 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Mulan should do well in China even if not record breaking numbers. As pe#1 mentioned Disney went above and beyond to make it look like a Chinese movie. I expect at least $100m total from China.

Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:23 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

It opened less than expected last weekend, and if it has usual legs in the market, would miss $100 million. But I don't know how films are performing in the market right now, so maybe it can leg it to $100 million?

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:13 pm
Profile WWW
Defeats all expectations

Has Mulan opened in China?

It did underperform in neighboring Taiwan with $1.2m, less than Tenet's second weekend.

Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:20 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

...ignore my post. I thought it opened to $30 million, but that was Tenet. :nutso:

Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:25 pm
Profile WWW
Defeats all expectations

:lol:

Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:50 pm
Extraordinary

Welp looks like Mulan isn't even gonna do $30m OW at China lol yikes!

Truly a bizarre release.

Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:22 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Looks like it was hammered by a triple whammy.

>Potential losses from COVID concerns.
>Piracy problems by opening too late in a piracy-prone market.
>Government issuing orders for news outlets not to cover the film's release due to Xinjiang backlash.

And audience reception seems mixed at best. If it's not doing well on Disney+ as speculated, Disney is taking a serious loss on the film. Probably near record levels because the marketing costs have to be pretty significant as it was heavily marketed before the pandemic delayed it unlike Tenet or Wonder Woman, for instance.

Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:43 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Disney bent over so far to please China on this one and the Chinese end up rejecting it all the same. Chinese libs (in secret of course) don't like all the ties to CCP and Xinjiang and Chinese conservatives also seem to think its too much of a westernized approach to their culture.

Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:58 pm
Defeats all expectations

Corpse wrote:
>Government issuing orders for news outlets not to cover the film's release due to Xinjiang backlash.

It seems Beijing did not want Chinese people to know about the Xinjiang camps. That ran counter to the proud attitude Chinese officials often project to the outside world that the government did nothing wrong with the detention of the Uyghurs. It's a little surprising Beijing did not double down and reward Mulan by giving it an extra marketing push.

Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:53 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

That is going to be disastrous for not only Mulan but overall movie going business. I assumed that Mulan will bring back excitement to BO tracking.

Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:20 pm
The Dark Knight

Honestly, Disney kind of deserves this. These live-action remakes have been the bottom of the barrel in terms of creativity.

Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:46 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

They are "remakes" what would you expect out of them?

Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:10 am
The Dark Knight

Not to be remade at all.

Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:00 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Then you are not the target audience. They are making big money for the studio so clearly there is an audience for these kind of movies.

Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:34 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

https://screenrant.com/mulan-tenet-movi ... rison/amp/

Looks like the updated estimates for first 12 days of Mulan are now $62m-$93m in U.S. The high end of that number roughly translates to $186m BO figure.

In addition to the $37m+ OS theatrical release numbers I expect OS PVOD numbers to at least match the $93m mark and while those are not huge numbers I think Disney should make back 70-80% of their investment.

Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:22 am
Hold the door!

Seems like Soul has a chance to beat Onward but those will be the only 2 theatrical Disney films released lol.

Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:10 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Onward or Soul will become the first animated film since Toy Story 3, 10-years ago, to be Disney's highest-grossing film of the year.

Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:49 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

And Onward wins lol.

Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next