Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:10 pm



Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 February predictions 
Author Message
Is this heaven, or is this hell?
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:30 am
Posts: 31062
Post February predictions
Not a bad month. Lots of sequels. Lego movie 2, What Men Want, Happy Death Day 2U, How to Train Your Dragon 3

_________________
Follow WOKJ's official box office account twitter.com/wokjboxoffice


Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:31 pm
Profile
Extraordinary
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:25 am
Posts: 15320
Location: San Diego
Post Re: February predictions
Eh. I'd be surprised if any of the non animated sequels hit 100m.


Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:50 pm
Profile
Hold the door!
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:26 pm
Posts: 14818
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Post Re: February predictions
I don’t see anything with real breakout potential. Both animated sequels will decrease. Nothing else seems likely to do more than 75m.

Maybe What Men Want can get urban audiences excited but I don’t expect more than a mid level hit.

Alita will bomb.

Happy Death Day will do the same as the first.

_________________
Image


Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:51 pm
Profile
Is this heaven, or is this hell?
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:30 am
Posts: 31062
Post Re: February predictions
I have Lego Movie 2 flopping with under 100 mil. It's like Star Wars where they diluted the brand with the spin offs, and the novelty is dead. HTTYD3 will also be meh

What Men Want will do well, although it could have really used Kevin Hart

The Prodigy could be the sleeper to break out

_________________
Follow WOKJ's official box office account twitter.com/wokjboxoffice


Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:08 pm
Profile
Hold the door!
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:26 pm
Posts: 14818
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Post Re: February predictions
Shack wrote:
I have Lego Movie 2 flopping with under 100 mil.


It would have to open to sub 30m which I don’t see happening.

_________________
Image


Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:10 pm
Profile
Extraordinary
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:25 am
Posts: 15320
Location: San Diego
Post Re: February predictions
Yeah... i could see people not giving a shit about Ninjago but Lego Movie 2 should still open with 35m+, especially since there really hasn't been a family film since Ralph.


Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:39 pm
Profile
Why is the rum gone???
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:15 pm
Posts: 30230
Post Re: February predictions
Alita won't do big numbers but it will cross $100m+ domestically, though OS numbers will save it or break it.


Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:45 pm
Profile
Extraordinary
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:25 am
Posts: 15320
Location: San Diego
Post Re: February predictions
Will be surprised of Alita does 30m+ for the 4 day weekend. I wouldn't mind if it does well though.


Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:48 pm
Profile
Romosexual!

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:06 am
Posts: 29609
Location: the last free city
Post Re: February predictions
Hope Alita surprises :D early words is that it’s good

_________________
2019! The year Disney takes the box office. ALL THE $$$

Fuck the Orange Clown!


Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:08 pm
Profile
The Kramer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 15823
Location: Classified
Post Re: February predictions
Cold Pursuit and Lego both have a mid 60s score on meta which is just fine. Dragon obviously already has a huge score (low 80s) since it has released overseas.

Hopefully Alita comes through as well.


Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:38 pm
Profile
Is this heaven, or is this hell?
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:30 am
Posts: 31062
Post Re: February predictions
February preview http://wokj.worldofkj.com/animated-sequ ... -february/

_________________
Follow WOKJ's official box office account twitter.com/wokjboxoffice


Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:42 am
Profile
Hold the door!
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:26 pm
Posts: 14818
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Post Re: February predictions
Uh, kJ insiders think Lego Movie grosses less than Dragon? Is that anybody besides Shack? If there’s any animated franchise that would be overpredicted by Kj it would be dragon.

_________________
Image


Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:45 am
Profile
Why is the rum gone???
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:15 pm
Posts: 30230
Post Re: February predictions
Given that Ninjango dropped so heavily from Batman Movie (even though both of them releasing in the same year might have bigger impact on its grosses) and upcoming sequel has much lesser buzz of the past two, so there is a high probability Lego 2 does less than $150m.

Given its reviews thus far for Dragon 3 and KFP comparisons makes it a very likely contender to pass $150m.


Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:26 am
Profile
Hold the door!
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:26 pm
Posts: 14818
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Post Re: February predictions
Jack Sparrow wrote:
Given that Ninjango dropped so heavily from Batman Movie (even though both of them releasing in the same year might have bigger impact on its grosses) and upcoming sequel has much lesser buzz of the past two, so there is a high probability Lego 2 does less than $150m.

Given its reviews thus far for Dragon 3 and KFP comparisons makes it a very likely contender to pass $150m.


I don’t see much reason to expect LEGO to open sub 40m, most likely it opens to 50m. There hasn’t been an animated film in a while. I think comparing it to Ninjago is dumb. I think it can match Batman. It’s like saying because Solo grossed 213m that Episode 9 will only gross 350m. The spinoffs hurt the franchise overall but the main franchise won’t do that much worse than the spinoffs.

The new Dragon isn’t cracking 150m. It will do KFP 3 numbers at best.

_________________
Image


Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:51 am
Profile
The Kramer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 15823
Location: Classified
Post Re: February predictions
Both will open at about $45M and it will just depend on which one audiences like more. Critics are favoring Dragon so it has the advantage right now.


Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:33 pm
Profile
Defeats all expectations
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 26, 2006 5:04 pm
Posts: 6100
Post Re: February predictions
I think Lego 2 looks like a more standalone entry than Dragon 3 and will play more broadly. One caveat though: the animation can be a turn-off.

For now, I think they will both do around $150m.


Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:48 pm
Profile
Defeats all expectations
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 26, 2006 5:04 pm
Posts: 6100
Post Re: February predictions
Jack Sparrow wrote:
Alita won't do big numbers but it will cross $100m+ domestically, though OS numbers will save it or break it.


What made you so confident? I think it will do better than Ghost in the Shell (2017) but not double it. It might do slightly better than Tomb Raider (2018).


Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:27 pm
Profile
Defeats all expectations
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 26, 2006 5:04 pm
Posts: 6100
Post Re: February predictions
Shack wrote:
I have Lego Movie 2 flopping with under 100 mil. It's like Star Wars where they diluted the brand with the spin offs, and the novelty is dead. HTTYD3 will also be meh


True, the brand is diluted and the novelty is gone. But sub-$100m would be too big of a drop.


Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:34 pm
Profile
Why is the rum gone???
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:15 pm
Posts: 30230
Post Re: February predictions
i.hope wrote:
Jack Sparrow wrote:
Alita won't do big numbers but it will cross $100m+ domestically, though OS numbers will save it or break it.


What made you so confident? I think it will do better than Ghost in the Shell (2017) but not double it. It might do slightly better than Tomb Raider (2018).


Just a gut feeling. I am still not sure :funny:


Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:39 pm
Profile
Why is the rum gone???
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:15 pm
Posts: 30230
Post Re: February predictions
zwackerm wrote:
Jack Sparrow wrote:
Given that Ninjango dropped so heavily from Batman Movie (even though both of them releasing in the same year might have bigger impact on its grosses) and upcoming sequel has much lesser buzz of the past two, so there is a high probability Lego 2 does less than $150m.

Given its reviews thus far for Dragon 3 and KFP comparisons makes it a very likely contender to pass $150m.


I don’t see much reason to expect LEGO to open sub 40m, most likely it opens to 50m. There hasn’t been an animated film in a while. I think comparing it to Ninjago is dumb. I think it can match Batman. It’s like saying because Solo grossed 213m that Episode 9 will only gross 350m. The spinoffs hurt the franchise overall but the main franchise won’t do that much worse than the spinoffs.

The new Dragon isn’t cracking 150m. It will do KFP 3 numbers at best.


I wish people stop needlessly throwing words like "dumb" and stupid for winning an argument. You asked opinion and I gave one. Just because it doesn't favour your opinion it's not right to call comparisons bad or dumb.

The comparison was still with Batman movie because the figure I gave was not below $59m it was below $150m which would be same drop from original to Lego 2 .

KFP3 did $143m so it wasn't that far and I still believe the ratings here plus the finale factor will help Dragon 3 crack $150m even if it limps there


Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:49 pm
Profile
Hold the door!
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:26 pm
Posts: 14818
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Post Re: February predictions
Lol Alita is at 33% positive early reactions my butt.

_________________
Image


Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:15 pm
Profile
Why is the rum gone???
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:15 pm
Posts: 30230
Post Re: February predictions
Damn!! My points at MGKC's game.....


Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:51 pm
Profile
Forum General

Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:48 pm
Posts: 8129
Location: Houston, Texas
Post Re: February predictions
I'm glad I went low on Alita. The trailers didn't make it look all that great to begin with and Rodriguez hasn't made a good film since Planet Terror IMO.


Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:31 pm
Profile
Is this heaven, or is this hell?
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:30 am
Posts: 31062
Post Re: February predictions
Alita is going to be one of the biggest bombs of all time

_________________
Follow WOKJ's official box office account twitter.com/wokjboxoffice


Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:04 pm
Profile
Why is the rum gone???
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:15 pm
Posts: 30230
Post Re: February predictions
I concede. Looks like it will flop bad....ugh


Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:21 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.