Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 Weekend Estimates 
Extraordinary

Post Weekend Estimates
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/c ... =15&p=.htm

Shazam! - 25.14m (53% drop)
Little - 15.4m
Hellboy - 12m
Pet Sematary - 10m (59% drop)
After - 6.2m
Missing Link - 5.8m

After made more overseas than Hellboy.... lol

Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:04 pm
Wallflower

Post Re: Weekend Estimates
There's no reason After shouldn't have opened in the teens but Aviron totally dropped the ball with it. Had it been released by a studio that actually gave it a real marketing campaign it would have done so much better. As is only fans of the books came out for it as they're the only ones aware of it.

The film fared much better overseas, opening at #1 in most places.

Quote:
We are hearing, especially in regards to how Aviron/Voltage’s After fared overseas this weekend, that it was a missed opportunity over here in the states. Industry estimates at the feature adaptation of the Anna Todd teen romance navel at $7.25M yesterday morning, and it’s since fallen to $6.2M stateside. It’s slightly higher than the debuts of such teen indies as Global Road’s Midnight Sun ($4M) and Open Road’s Before I Fall ($4.6M). We understand there was a thrifty targeted digital campaign toward females, but if this film, given its notoriety, had a bigger TV spot spend, the results could have well been in the double digits. Even though Rotten Tomatoes scores were at 14%, critical scores are irrelevant in driving business for this film, just like they were for the Fifty Shades series. Hey Lionsgate, perhaps you should have handled After instead of Hellboy? After played best on the East Coast, including French Canada, along with the Mid-West, where 9 of the top 10 runs were from. Females under 25 were out in full force on this film at 56%, but After gets 2 1/2 stars on PostTrak, but a B CinemaScore.

But we hear that this $14M financed production from Diamond Films, CalMaple, Wattpad and Voltage is crushing it overseas, ranking No. 1 over Friday and Saturday in Italy, Portugal, Poland, Germany, Greece, Argentina, South Africa, Sweden, Norway, Finland and Denmark. Aviron put up a small MG. Nancy will have an update on After‘s overseas.

Said Voltage President and COO Jonathan Deckter about the success of After abroad yesterday, “Our production partners have done an amazing job bringing this book franchise from Watt Pad to the big screen, giving our international distributors a film that delivers for both the core fans of the book and the general public. We’re already performing extremely well in a number of territories including Germany, Italy, Portugal, Greece, Argentina, Denmark and Central America. Nicolas and I couldn’t be happier with our international partners who’s results speak for themselves.”

RelishMix notes that After “has a strong Social Media Universe of 164.6M” comprised of 5.5M Facebook Fans, 32.3M Facebook video views, about 1.5M Twitter Followers, 106.1M YouTube views and 19.2M Instagram followers. And video material has an awesome viral rate of 83:1 versus the average teen drama of 15:1 since the first trailer dropped in November. YouTube views are near an average of 25K a day, ahead of the 18,6K average for the genre.

“With the co-stars and the novelist contributing to an international tour that has been through Europe and South America over the past month, look for After to meet or exceed worldwide box office expectations,” said RelishMix ahead of the pic’s opening.

https://deadline.com/2019/04/hellboy-shazam-weekend-box-office-1202594516/

Maybe Aviron should just call it quits already if they don't have the money to properly market their films. They could have actually had a hit with this.

Who knows if they will make the sequels. If they do it will be because of overseas numbers. But if they do happen someone else should release them in the states.

Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:14 pm
Wallflower

publicenemy#1 wrote:
After made more overseas than Hellboy.... lol

That could have easily happened domestically too if it had the same marketing push Hellboy got.

Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:15 pm
Extraordinary

I agree. There was a lot of online activity for After but I guess not just book fans was enough. I think if it generates $40m+ WW thatmay be enough for Aviron to greenlight a sequel but they really need to up their marketing.

Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:43 pm
Pure Phase

Poor Laika. They are almost the anti-Illumination at the box office. Every new movie earns less than its predecessor.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:19 pm
Forum General

David wrote:
Poor Laika. They are almost the anti-Illumination at the box office. Every new movie earns less than its predecessor.

Do you think the problem with Missing Link was the dissipation of Laika's audience or United Artist distributing? The reviews were good enough for it to hit double digits.

Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:03 am
Wallflower

It always looked like a bomb though. I don't think it would have made much difference if Universal released it. Gave me an Early Man vibe. Laika can bounce back when they release something more appealing.

Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:01 am
now we know

I'm surprised nobody has made a pun on it flopping considering its title.

Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:04 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Magic Mike wrote:
It always looked like a bomb though. I don't think it would have made much difference if Universal released it. Gave me an Early Man vibe. Laika can bounce back when they release something more appealing.

It looked more akin to the Boxtrolls which opened to 17m. I thought it would at least out open Kubo which didn’t look commercial at all.

Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:12 am
Wallflower

zwackerm wrote:
Magic Mike wrote:

It looked more akin to the Boxtrolls which opened to 17m. I thought it would at least out open Kubo which didn’t look commercial at all.

I agree Kubo didn't but I think Boxtrolls looked more appealing than Missing Link.

Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:53 pm
now we know

I never even saw a trailer for Missing Link. Or posters. It had absolutely no impact or personality to its release. It didn't appeal to anybody and so it bombed.

Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:14 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Laika's issue is that they too weird for young kids, but too kiddy for the YA and Burton crowds that powered the most recent How To Train Your Dragon. If they continue on, I think they should make a movie with a PG-13 rating. That would immediately raise eyebrows, making it worth keeping track of and it's not like they will lose much since kids aren't seeing these films anyways.

Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:43 am
On autopilot for the summer

TV animation has really stepped up too. Honestly no parent is going to take a kid to an iffy looking film when they can watch the Boss Baby tv show and get he same distraction.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:36 pm
Forum General

Thegun wrote:
TV animation has really stepped up too. Honestly no parent is going to take a kid to an iffy looking film when they can watch the Boss Baby tv show and get he same distraction.

Good point. I expect Disney+ to eventually have an impact at the box office, especially for smaller scale animated features.

Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:38 pm
On autopilot for the summer

I don't even think Disney+ will have much of an impact. There is just way too much content out there now, which is a great thing, but even Apple's recent announcement just seems like they are playing catch up at this point. Netflix just increased their rate so there is an obvious effect, but they still have the content.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:13 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

Thegun wrote:

Yeah, there are a bunch of these movies turned TV shows. I was surprised to see the Boss Baby was a show.

The shows also dilute the brand a little so any subsequent movies tend not to perform as well (see the Dragon and KungFu Panda franchises)

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:51 am
Veteran

Captain Marvel may actually increase. :shock:

I was blind, but now I see.

Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]