Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 Weekend Estimates (November 9-11, 2018) 
Veteran

Post Weekend Estimates (November 9-11, 2018)
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/c ... =45&p=.htm

ASIB is a lock for $200M!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wouldn't be surprised if its 5th weekend beat The Girl in the Spider's Web's opening weekend when actuals come tomorrow.

Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:20 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: Weekend Estimates (November 9-11, 2018)
A 5k difference lol. It should be #5 with actuals. If it has another sub-30% drop it could potentially hold at #6 next weekend.

Venom's opening in China is insane. The film has a chance to finish with over 800m. Jesus.

Venom needs a 3.8 multiplier from this weekend to beat MI6 and have potential to stay in the top 10 of 2018.

Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:23 pm
On autopilot for the summer

BR is already easily the biggest music biopic WW. Should be able hit SOC for the domestic crown too.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:54 pm
Forum General

Venom's China opening is definitely the story of the weekend. Having the second biggest opening of any superhero movie ever there is pure insanity, and it should easily crush $800M+ WW. Sony is laughing all the way to the bank on that one. I can't really say the rest of this weekends performances are that surprising though outside of those fantastic drops for BR and AISB. The Grinch did about as well as I expected and I have no idea why people were doubting $60M+ for it let alone $50M+. Regardless of the reception the Jim Carrey movie was a fucking behemoth back in the day and while this movie won't come anywhere close to that movies adjusted for inflation numbers it definitely has a shot of at least matching its unadjusted gross. The character still has massive appeal, especially on the domestic front.

Terrible opening for Spider's Web, but the writing has been on the wall for a while that Sony wasn't that confident in it and just wanted the quickest cash grab ever. Of course it was only going to back fire on them when the first movie wasn't that big of a hit anyways. Lastly, as much I like the fact that Overlord was able to hit double digits this opening still isn't all that great honestly. It cost nearly $40M to make not including marketing and unless it makes a good chunk of money OS it might be hard to consider it being very profitable for the studio.

Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:29 pm
Veteran

A slim chance but not impossible: with weaker competition this year, Bohemian Rhapsody might be able to reach $200M.

Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:12 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Guess we know where the next Venom will be taking place. It's overseas total won't be too far off from BP. All around Venom surpassed every expectation and was critic proof.

Very impressive hold for BR. It's the watercooler movie right now that everyone needs to see so should have a long run.

The Grinch is solid. Should get a very strong total in the end.

All around, the box office is very healthy and its encouraging. Fantastic Beasts, Creed and Ralph look to keep momentum strong though I have my doubts about December.

Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:33 pm
Profile WWW
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Venom and Bohemian Rhapsody (and Greatest Showman) being audience favourites are kind of a blow to critics' credibility as a cultural barometer tbh. They really got it wrong on those. For a while it looked like RottenTomatoes really had a huge effect on grosses and mirrored audience reception.

Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:01 pm
Veteran

O wrote:
Guess we know where the next Venom will be taking place. It's overseas total won't be too far off from BP. All around Venom surpassed every expectation and was critic proof.

Very impressive hold for BR. It's the watercooler movie right now that everyone needs to see so should have a long run.

The Grinch is solid. Should get a very strong total in the end.

All around, the box office is very healthy and its encouraging. Fantastic Beasts, Creed and Ralph look to keep momentum strong though I have my doubts about December.

Sent you a PM. Also, BR may have a chance at $200M if it survives tough competition this year but this December is much weaker than last December.

Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:31 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

I just saw a spot for Green Book. The voice over said "Green Book is the only movie winning awards across the country. It's so good, you won't want the movie to end". I was surprised to hear this type of bullshit still being said. It sounds like something out of the 50s. Like, why do they still do it? Do they still think this works? Has Hollywood not realised yet that you don't get people into the cinema by telling them it's good?

Unless it's a self-aware marketing strategy to have audiences be reminded of films of yesteryear. The film is set in the 1960s. But still. I just found it lame in this day and age to still hear that.

Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:29 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

ASIB and BR are ‘musicals’ and ostensibly would cannibalize each other but :

1. they’re different enough
2. both are well received by audiences

So people who saw one are going to the movies to see the other.

I was blind, but now I see.

Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:53 pm
now we know

I think it's a very important factor that one is fiction and one is a biopic.

Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:58 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Grinch was underestimated Sunday and total is closer to 68 million. Figured that would happen. Also I can't believe how accurate my predictions for all of the wide openers were this weekend. :ohmy:

Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:42 pm
now we know

Algren wrote:
I just saw a spot for Green Book. The voice over said "Green Book is the only movie winning awards across the country. It's so good, you won't want the movie to end". I was surprised to hear this type of bullshit still being said. It sounds like something out of the 50s. Like, why do they still do it? Do they still think this works? Has Hollywood not realised yet that you don't get people into the cinema by telling them it's good?

Unless it's a self-aware marketing strategy to have audiences be reminded of films of yesteryear. The film is set in the 1960s. But still. I just found it lame in this day and age to still hear that.

My bad. Just saw it again and the voice over guy was actually reading out quotes from a critic.

Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:58 pm
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

Algren wrote:
Algren wrote:

My bad. Just saw it again and the voice over guy was actually reading out quotes from a critic.

hehe that would have been terrible.

Though it does remind me TV ads for movies I used to see back in the 90s where they'd tout the big Sunday movie of the week (when it was still a thing) and the announcer would say something like - "Stay tuned...tonight.... the blockbuster smash... Cutthroat Island" :funny:

They'd do it for a number of known box office duds too.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:42 am
now we know

haha I remember those! I had the same thoughts. I think it wasn't too long ago I heard it too.

Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:49 am
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

Yes i recall hearing it in recent years also. I guess most viewers wouldn't have batted an eyelid.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:00 am
now we know

Most viewers are kjtocool like us. :shades:

Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:53 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]