Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
 First Man - What Went Wrong? 
Veteran

Post First Man - What Went Wrong?
It had received awesome reviews (almost as strong as Whiplash and La La Land), but it dropped more than 45% this weekend and its WOM is moderately positive (B+ in CinemaScore is below average for a Best Picture contender). Even with IMAX surcharges, it barely opened above Bridge of Spies but will finish way below that domestically.

What are the reasons why it flopped?

Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:32 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Post Re: First Man - What Went Wrong?
Someone already hit the nail on the head (sorry, I forgot who said it) when they said that it feels like a homework assignment more than entertainment. So it just looked boring, and like people were meant to watch it instead of wanting to.

Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:37 pm
Profile WWW
Defeats all expectations

A biopic that focuses on an event that is too well-known to be thrilled about. Bridge of Spies is more a thriller that has many moments of suspense.

Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:54 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

It just didn't look as good as it should have and audience reports that its a bit of a snoozer also didn't help.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:15 pm
Keeping it Light

Gosling is just not a star, and who is Claire Foy?

Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:27 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

Claire Foy is excellent as Queen Elizabeth II in The Crown. But yes - to most she is an unknown.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:36 pm
now we know

Gosling is an up-and-coming star. Some probably thought he was already a big star because of La La Land, but he just isn't. He does a lot of indie stuff and isn't at that Brad Pitt level that the role probably needed.

Claire Foy is a great actress, but she's an unknown. If, say, Anne Hathaway was in the role, it would've made a difference.

Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:10 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

- Chazelle made the film he wanted, not the film that would be the biggest hit as the mainstream type of space film where the command center cheers as they make it home safely has been done before.

- Gosling has no track record of hits in that Matt Damon type of role. Other than Blade Runner which considering expectations wasn't a strong performer, his three other highest grossing films are La La Land, The Notebook, Crazy Stupid Love, all romance. He is a good actor but most of the audience the biggest thing that makes him stand out from the other A list actors is he's the best looking. In another era where every actor took the money his niche would have been to become the Matthew McConaughey top romcom guy, but to his credit he's concentrated on working with good directors and making smaller films. He's one of the many actors who's realized making high quality films keeps your brand strong which allows you to be a star for decades, while making mainstream films with mixed quality means your brand could be tarnished after a few bad flops. He'll come out of First Man with an Oscar nomination and another above average film on his resume which is a win for him

Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:38 pm
Extraordinary

So many things went wrong with this movie but I think there was a lot they could have done to save it. They assumed the post La La Land film combo would take off again but the concept itself needed better marketing and a completely different release date. ASIB took all the Oscar buzz that probably would have gone to First Man.

Also, among the stupidest decisions. The anniversary of the moon landing is July 20, 1969. This was WAY too early to release it. They should have done a slow role out leading up to the 50th anniversary of that event. It would have gotten so much additional attention and marketing opening closer to that date. Instead they released it the year of the 49th anniversary.

Aside from what most people already mentioned, I'd say the release date and poor marketing are the biggest reasons for this not performing.

Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:22 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

O wrote:
Also, among the stupidest decisions. The anniversary of the moon landing is July 20, 1969. This was WAY too early to release it. They should have done a slow role out leading up to the 50th anniversary of that event. It would have gotten so much additional attention and marketing opening closer to that date. Instead they released it the year of the 49th anniversary.

A very good point.

Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:25 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

It didn't work in 1983 when the movie was called THE RIGHT STUFF, cost $27m to produce, got excellent reviews, received 8 Oscar nominations and got 4 Oscars - so why should it work in 2018?

Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:48 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Well, presumably storytelling, visual effects, film-making, and the quality of cinemas have improved a great deal since 1983.

Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:09 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Could have just shown the shot and not antagonize a segment of the moviegoing audience on purpose. It was nonsense and people didn't see it simply because of that. It's true.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:58 am
Into the fray

These threads work for movies that heavily prioritize commercial success, but I have a real hard time thinking that something went "wrong" with a movie made for artistic success that is going to get a bunch of Oscar nominations and be a lot of people's #1 movie of the year. Ditto that for The Right Stuff.

I'm gonna guess that the directors think pretty much everything went right.

Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:09 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

The film assumes everyone believes we actually went to the moon.

Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:20 am
now we know

Kenspy wrote:
These threads work for movies that heavily prioritize commercial success, but I have a real hard time thinking that something went "wrong" with a movie made for artistic success that is going to get a bunch of Oscar nominations and be a lot of people's #1 movie of the year.

I'm gonna guess that the directors think pretty much everything went right.

All of that might be true if they hadn't spent $60m to produce it. ;)

Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:35 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

The movie isn't good and as much as we'd like to believe otherwise, directors have no starpower.

Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:39 pm
Devil's Advocate

Rolling Thunder wrote:
The film assumes everyone believes we actually went to the moon.

Chippy will have a hard time turning this one down

Wouldn't the Russians have been watching to make sure a ship really went to the moon?

Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:43 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Yeah not doing it next year for the 50th anniversary was dumb as fuck. They only had to wait nine months. Hell, they could have just moved it.

Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:48 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Could Hidden Figures have impacted this a little? In that we just had a big mainstream hit / award winner about the early days of NASA?

Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:45 am
Profile WWW
llegó a la casa vía marítima

lesterg wrote:
Could Hidden Figures have impacted this a little? In that we just had a big mainstream hit / award winner about the early days of NASA?

I think HF was always going to be more appealing and successful since it's an underdog story vs one we've heard a billion times. Plus, the marketing for Hidden Figures made it look inspirational and entertaining. First Man looked dour and laborious.

Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:44 pm
now we know

As far as other films in recent years that lowered the excitement to see First Man go, probably a mix between Hidden Figures, Interstellar, Gravity, and The Martian, all of which were big hits. Plus, as Barrabas says, it didn't help that First Man looked dull.

Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:41 am
Profile WWW
Veteran

Bad buzz right out the gate hurt it. I’m glad honestly. They knew what they were doing by downplaying the flag. Yes it was featured elsewhere in the movie but there was definitely purpose behind some of the omissions I think. This will teach Hollywood not to do it again with future films like these. Deemphasize America and its role in the Moon Landing and this is what happens. Hurt the studio where they feel it - their wallet.

I was blind, but now I see.

Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:17 am
Keeping it Light

I'd hate it for any studio to just not let a director do what they want to do. I think if there was a clear flag plant scene and there was no controversy, this would not have done better.

Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]