Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:05 pm



Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 $1b movies of 2019 

$1b movies
Poll ended at Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:17 am
Captain Marvel 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Dumbo 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Avengers 4 18%  18%  [ 19 ]
Aladdin 5%  5%  [ 5 ]
The Secret Life of Pets 2 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Men in Black Spin-Off 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Toy Story 4 11%  11%  [ 12 ]
Spider-Man 2 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
The Lion King 15%  15%  [ 16 ]
Hobbs & Shaw (F&F Spin-Off) 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Joker 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
It 2 4%  4%  [ 4 ]
Gemini Man 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Frozen 2 16%  16%  [ 17 ]
Jumanji 2 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Cats 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Star Wars 9 17%  17%  [ 18 ]
ANOTHER MOVIE (please specify) 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
SOME RANDOM CHINESE FILM 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 107

 $1b movies of 2019 
Author Message
now we know
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:31 pm
Posts: 62538
Post Re: $1b movies of 2019
Jack Sparrow wrote:
Algren wrote:
I do not see any Chinese film reaching $1 billion worldwide. Wolf Warriors 2, their highest-grossing film of all-time, could only reach $870 million. American movies have made billions before. Seems silly to predict that a Chinese one will make it when one never has before, and when you have completely no idea of the films that will be released.


The whole conversation started because of this sentence. You cannot say that one hasn't even made before so no movie will ever make it.


Your prediction here is basically the same as saying "well, this country is a growing market, it has to get a $1 billion movie eventually!". Sorry if I don't appreciate your predictive ability with this type of silly statement. Now, if you had said "Movie A has a good chance because of such and such..." then I'd view it with more respect.


Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:09 am
Profile
Why is the rum gone???
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:15 pm
Posts: 29353
Post Re: $1b movies of 2019
Algren wrote:
Your prediction here is basically the same as saying "well, this country is a growing market, it has to get a $1 billion movie eventually!". Sorry if I don't appreciate your predictive ability with this type of silly statement. Now, if you had said "Movie A has a good chance because of such and such..." then I'd view it with more respect.


Its a prediction and its not anymore sillier than your "this looks shit so it will open lower than what the tracking suggests".


Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:54 am
Profile
now we know
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:31 pm
Posts: 62538
Post Re: $1b movies of 2019
I never said my predictions were golden. Stop changing the subject.


Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:04 am
Profile
Why is the rum gone???
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:15 pm
Posts: 29353
Post Re: $1b movies of 2019
I've never said my predictions were golden as well but it doesn't change the fact that they are predictions. Stop calling other predictions silly because you disagree with the logic of arriving on those.


Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:11 am
Profile
now we know
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:31 pm
Posts: 62538
Post Re: $1b movies of 2019
No. They are silly, and you need to know that.


Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:22 am
Profile
Keeping it Light
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:06 am
Posts: 9079
Location: Bright Falls
Post Re: $1b movies of 2019
There really is no precedent for a Chinese film grossing $900m or more next year, or the year after.
Well im thinking Avatar 2 could have the potential to gross that here alone, not sure when that'll come out.


Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:43 am
Profile
The Kramer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 14702
Location: Classified
Post Re: $1b movies of 2019
Well, with Crazy Rich Asians breaking out, is it possible that China finally releases a movie that Americans like?


Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:11 am
Profile
now we know
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:31 pm
Posts: 62538
Post Re: $1b movies of 2019
Avatar 2 is coming out between 2025 and never.


Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:12 am
Profile
now we know
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:31 pm
Posts: 62538
Post Re: $1b movies of 2019
Flava'd vs The World wrote:
Well, with Crazy Rich Asians breaking out, is it possible that China finally releases a movie that Americans like?


Probably not because all Chinese movies are in Mandarin.


Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:13 am
Profile
Why is the rum gone???
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:15 pm
Posts: 29353
Post Re: $1b movies of 2019
Algren wrote:
No. They are silly, and you need to know that.


They are predictions. The only thing silly is that you want to fight for no reason.


Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:15 pm
Profile
Why is the rum gone???
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:15 pm
Posts: 29353
Post Re: $1b movies of 2019
stuffp wrote:
There really is no precedent for a Chinese film grossing $900m or more next year, or the year after.
Well im thinking Avatar 2 could have the potential to gross that here alone, not sure when that'll come out.


And there was no precedent a year before of $870m movie in any OS market. So what's your point?


Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:17 pm
Profile
now we know
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:31 pm
Posts: 62538
Post Re: $1b movies of 2019
Jack Sparrow wrote:
And there was no precedent a year before of $870m movie in any OS market. So what's your point?


Correction: It made $854m in China. ;)

The point is - if you are wrong about something, that needs to be addressed. Just like when I am wrong about something - you can bet your life another member will correct me. And I'm thankful they do. Truth should always prevail.


Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:02 pm
Profile
Why is the rum gone???
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:15 pm
Posts: 29353
Post Re: $1b movies of 2019
Apologies there was no precedent for $854m before last year in any OS market. Now stuffs please make a point :P


Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:02 pm
Profile
now we know
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:31 pm
Posts: 62538
Post Re: $1b movies of 2019
Correct. There was no precedent for it. So, are you now saying that your prediction is based on ... a freak box office performance???

Jesus. If I had little respect for your ability before, I have zero now.


Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:23 pm
Profile
Why is the rum gone???
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:15 pm
Posts: 29353
Post Re: $1b movies of 2019
Good for you. I'm not looking for your respect. The point still stands. It happened before a precedent so why not now?


Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:42 pm
Profile
now we know
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:31 pm
Posts: 62538
Post Re: $1b movies of 2019
Hoping for another fluke. Good luck.


Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:26 pm
Profile
Why is the rum gone???
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:15 pm
Posts: 29353
Post Re: $1b movies of 2019
Fluke for you prediction for me. Maybe I will also get one wrong ;)


Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:29 pm
Profile
now we know
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:31 pm
Posts: 62538
Post Re: $1b movies of 2019
but mean Maybe it's know highly you what I unlikely.


Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:30 pm
Profile
Why is the rum gone???
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:15 pm
Posts: 29353
Post Re: $1b movies of 2019
I think after that gibberish (or possibly something serene that I didn't understand) its time to end this conversation.


Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:38 pm
Profile
Indiana Jones IV
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 25, 2005 12:07 am
Posts: 1591
Post Re: $1b movies of 2019
I don’t see Wonder Woman 2 making $180m more than the first. The first film was well loved and everybody who saw it went and saw it. There aren’t masses of fans who became fans off of the home video. Same audience for the first.

Aladdin is no Lion King. Not popular enough for $1 billion.

_________________
I believe in God as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.

I was blind, but now I see.


Last edited by lilmac on Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:53 pm
Profile
now we know
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:31 pm
Posts: 62538
Post Re: $1b movies of 2019
Jack Sparrow wrote:
I think after that gibberish (or possibly something serene that I didn't understand) its time to end this conversation.


I was just writing in a style I thought you would understand.


Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:54 pm
Profile
now we know
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:31 pm
Posts: 62538
Post Re: $1b movies of 2019
lilmac wrote:
I don’t see Wonder Woman 2 making $180m more than the first. The first film was well loved and everybody who saw it went and saw it. There aren’t masses of fans who became fans off of the home video. Same audience for the first.


Or less of an audience because the #IWillSupportMyFellowWomen angle is knackered.


Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:55 pm
Profile
Why is the rum gone???
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:15 pm
Posts: 29353
Post Re: $1b movies of 2019
Agreed on Wonder Woman its going to decline now that MCU also will have a solo female superhero movie in the market. The novelty is no longer there.


Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:03 am
Profile
Why is the rum gone???
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:15 pm
Posts: 29353
Post Re: $1b movies of 2019
Algren wrote:
Jack Sparrow wrote:
I think after that gibberish (or possibly something serene that I didn't understand) its time to end this conversation.


I was just writing in a style I thought you would understand.


Bad thinking!!


Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:04 am
Profile
now we know
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:31 pm
Posts: 62538
Post Re: $1b movies of 2019
No thread for this yet so I'll put it in here.

Image

Pretty standard teaser poster for it, but I still like it.


Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:58 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.