World of KJ
http://worldofkj.com/forum/

Ready Player One: What Went Right (Internationally)
http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=84249
Page 1 of 2

Author:  Darth Indiana Bond [ Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:38 pm ]
Post subject:  Ready Player One: What Went Right (Internationally)

It has been a modest hit here in the states, but internationally, especially in China this film has been a monster! So, what went right over there?

Author:  Magnus [ Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Ready Player One: What Went Right (Internationally)

It has a OS percentage share that many blockbusters have these days. It is doing well but I’m not overly impressed given how this has become the status quo now, particularly for big budget effects driven blockbusters that do sub 150m domestically.

Just look and see how Tomb Raider, Pacific Rim, and Rampage did overseas. Very similar OS share of over 75%.

Author:  Omni [ Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:35 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Ready Player One: What Went Right (Internationally)

It seems it will finish with about 420/440M OS, and almost half of that comes from China. Hard to be impressed by like 225M WW minus NA/Ch, it's still a big budget movie directed by Spielberg, and it faced very little competition.

Author:  Shack [ Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:22 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Ready Player One: What Went Right (Internationally)

Omni wrote:
It seems it will finish with about 420/440M OS


I have to think with 360 mil already banked it's going higher than that. It hasn't opened in Japan yet

Author:  Algren [ Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:07 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Ready Player One: What Went Right (Internationally)

The answer is China.

Author:  stuffp [ Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Ready Player One: What Went Right (Internationally)

Where it's the only quality foreign film to have come out there in a span of 3 months.

Author:  Algren [ Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:27 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Ready Player One: What Went Right (Internationally)

Well that's not true.

You're forgetting Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, and All The Money in the World came out here last month, which you loved.

Author:  stuffp [ Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:33 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Ready Player One: What Went Right (Internationally)

Good point I did forget about those, we can just shorten the timespan then. At the same time I think there's an interest in American culture that attracts younger Chinese especially when it's packaged in what they generally tend to like a: 3d blockbuster.

Author:  Algren [ Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:38 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Ready Player One: What Went Right (Internationally)

Yes. And also China is at the forefront of many consumer-friendly technologies. Whether that be drones, phones, hover scooters, or virtual reality ... and I think that's a big draw with Ready Player One, twinned with the fact that China is clearly a gamer's country, and to top it off it's a 3D blockbuster with recognizable pop culture references.

Author:  Thegun [ Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:46 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Ready Player One: What Went Right (Internationally)

It'd be interesting to see if they filmed it in a way that when it hits the home Market that it would be best viewed through a VR headset.

I honestly can't do more than 5 minutes in those things, and mostly for novelty apps or games.

Author:  Jack Sparrow [ Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:25 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Ready Player One: What Went Right (Internationally)

Eh I don't think it is very impressive in OS markets. It might squeeze out $200m OS without China and that's not big enough success.

Author:  Omni [ Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:52 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Ready Player One: What Went Right (Internationally)

Shack wrote:
Omni wrote:
It seems it will finish with about 420/440M OS


I have to think with 360 mil already banked it's going higher than that. It hasn't opened in Japan yet

It stands at 360 after a 34M weekend, but 1/3rd of that comes from China, which is known for its awful late legs. With Avengers coming in 10 days, it should get slighlt less than a 3x multiplier OS-China, and probably another 10M or so from China. That means a 410/415M finish without Japan, where it's supposed to gross the average 10/20M.

Author:  Algren [ Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:37 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Ready Player One: What Went Right (Internationally)

Avengers doesn't open in China until May 14th or something. It's 3 weeks after the US anyway, so RP1 will still make money. Much more than just $10m more.

Author:  Omni [ Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:49 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Ready Player One: What Went Right (Internationally)

Maybe 15M considering the little competition next weekend, but that's it. Isn't a bunch of local movies going to open on April 27th?

Edit: I thought the movie grossed around 11M in China last weekend, but it's actually more than 13M. In these last 10 days left it should get another 13, and then some peanuts.
Also, this just means its chances of making more than my 420/440 range are even weaker. There's even a small possibility that China's share of its OS gross will be higher than 50%.

Author:  Shack [ Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:30 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Ready Player One: What Went Right (Internationally)

Omni wrote:
Maybe 15M considering the little competition next weekend, but that's it. Isn't a bunch of local movies going to open on April 27th?

Edit: I thought the movie grossed around 11M in China last weekend, but it's actually more than 13M. In these last 10 days left it should get another 13, and then some peanuts.
Also, this just means its chances of making more than my 420/440 range are even weaker. There's even a small possibility that China's share of its OS gross will be higher than 50%.


I'm seeing 43.6 mil for China on Apr. 6-8 weekend on BOM. Are the numbers for this weekend out yet?

Author:  Barrabás [ Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Ready Player One: What Went Right (Internationally)

Without China it would end up with less than $400m WW so it's not really doing that well. That would be kind of a flop with the huge budget.

China is the only impressive performance.

Author:  Omni [ Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:28 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Ready Player One: What Went Right (Internationally)

Shack wrote:
Omni wrote:
Maybe 15M considering the little competition next weekend, but that's it. Isn't a bunch of local movies going to open on April 27th?

Edit: I thought the movie grossed around 11M in China last weekend, but it's actually more than 13M. In these last 10 days left it should get another 13, and then some peanuts.
Also, this just means its chances of making more than my 420/440 range are even weaker. There's even a small possibility that China's share of its OS gross will be higher than 50%.


I'm seeing 43.6 mil for China on Apr. 6-8 weekend on BOM. Are the numbers for this weekend out yet?

https://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topi ... ?page=1789 (and the previous pages)
RPO made a bit less than 3M on Friday, then a bit more than 6 on Saturday and almost 5 on Sunday. So that's actually much closer to 14M than to 13. It stands at 194, so probably a 210M finish.

Author:  Jack Sparrow [ Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Ready Player One: What Went Right (Internationally)

That $43.6m must be the whole week gross as China reports entire week's gross into weekend.

Author:  Algren [ Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:05 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Ready Player One: What Went Right (Internationally)

No. It is the three days from 6-8 April.

Author:  Jack Sparrow [ Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:16 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Ready Player One: What Went Right (Internationally)

I haven't tracked RPO's China numbers but from what Omni mentioned it doesn't look like $43.6m 3-day number.

Author:  Algren [ Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:17 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Ready Player One: What Went Right (Internationally)

I'm telling you it is.

Author:  Jack Sparrow [ Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Ready Player One: What Went Right (Internationally)

Ok :)

Author:  Darth Indiana Bond [ Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:20 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Ready Player One: What Went Right (Internationally)

Algren, as the representation for China in these here parts, what are your thoughts on the great success Ready Player One has had in China?

Author:  Jack Sparrow [ Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:23 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Ready Player One: What Went Right (Internationally)

He already posted above

Algren wrote:
Yes. And also China is at the forefront of many consumer-friendly technologies. Whether that be drones, phones, hover scooters, or virtual reality ... and I think that's a big draw with Ready Player One, twinned with the fact that China is clearly a gamer's country, and to top it off it's a 3D blockbuster with recognizable pop culture references.

Author:  Darth Indiana Bond [ Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:29 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Ready Player One: What Went Right (Internationally)

Thank you Mr. Sparrow

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/