Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 249 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 KJ's Summer Box Office Contest 2018 - FINAL RESULTS 
---------

Post KJ's Summer Box Office Contest 2018 - FINAL RESULTS

KJ's Summer Box Office Contest 2018

There's definitely 5 big releases this summer - Avengers: Infinity War, Deadpool 2, Solo: A Star Wars Story, The Incredibles 2, and Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Maybe we'll have some surprises with another movie breaking into the top 5. Plus, there's a ton of smaller movies that'll be fun to predict as well.

The season's contest covers movies released from April 27th, 2018 to August 31st, 2018. The player with the most points at the end of the game will receive a $25 gift card.

How the Points Work
Spoiler: show
Each player predicts the total domestic box office grosses of 25 movies listed further below. It's the ultimate test in box office predictions: guessing a movie's potential final gross before the season even starts with few, if any, tracking numbers. For each movie, the top 25% of players who predicted most accurately will get 3 points a piece.

Players can also score bonus points. The first is the Top 5. Each players will predict the summer season's five biggest films. Each rank correctly predicted with score 1 point. An extra bonus of 15 points is given to any player who correctly predicts the Summer 2018 Top 5 in the correct order. (This has still never been done in the 4+ year history of this game.) It should be noted only the 25 movies that are being predicted are contenders for our Top 5 point system.

Finally, players predict the answers to ten box office questions. A correct answer scores 2 points.

Ties in overall points are broken by who has the lowest total difference between each of their movie predictions and the actual total.

Release changes
TOTAL GROSS PREDICTIONS - Backup movies are in place in case any of the 25 predicted movies change their release date. (Once a movie moves its release date outside our season window, the first backup movie listed comes into play.)
TOP 5 PREDICTIONS - Only the 25 predicted movies are eligible for the Top 5 ranking, so no blockbuster that gets released last-minute into the season will be eligible. If a movie that appears in over 30% of Top 5 predictions moves out of the season, then affected players' Top 5 predictions will be automatically adjusted with what was their next highest-predicted movie.
BOX OFFICE QUESTIONS - A box office question will be voided in the following scenarios:
-The movie with the release date change is specifically mentioned in the question
-The movie with the release date change appears in over 30% of player responses to the question

Ready?
Fill out the form below and paste in this thread / PM it to me by April 26th, 2018 at 11:59 PM CST. Good luck! :thumbsup:

Predict the Following Films' Total Gross
Ant-Man and the Wasp
Avengers: Infinity War
Book Club
Breaking In
Christopher Robin
Crazy Rich Asians
Deadpool 2
The Equalizer 2
The First Purge
Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation
The Incredibles 2
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
Life of the Party
Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again!
The Meg
Mission: Impossible - Fallout
Ocean's 8
Replicas
Sicaro 2: Soldado
Skyscraper
The Spy Who Dumped Me
Solo: A Star Wars Story
Tag
Teen Titans Go! To The Movies
Uncle Drew

Backups
Hereditary
Overboard

Predict the Top 5 Grossing Movies of Summer 2018
#1:
#2:
#3:
#4:
#5:

The 10 Box Office Questions

#1: Which will gross more in total - Avengers: Infinity War, the combination of The Incredibles 2 and Mission: Impossible - Fallout, the combination of Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom and Ant-Man and the Wasp?
#2: Which will gross more in total - the combination of Deadpool 2 and Skyscraper, the combination of Solo: A Star Wars Story and Christopher Robin?
#3: Which 2 of the following films will gross closest to each other in total in dollars - Crazy Rich Asians, The Spy Who Dumped Me, Tag, or Uncle Drew?
#4: Which sequel will fall the most from its predecessor (%-wise) - Deadpool 2, The First Purge, Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation, The Incredibles 2, Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again!, Mission: Impossible - Fallout, or Sicario 2: Soldado?
#5: Which sequel will gross the closest to its predecessor (%-wise) - Deadpool 2, The First Purge, Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation, The Incredibles 2, Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again!, Mission: Impossible - Fallout, or Sicario 2: Soldado?
#6: What will be the highest grossing film to not hit #1 on any of its weekends?
#7: What movie will have lose the largest number of theaters in its 3rd weekend?
#8: How many films will gross over $100 million?
#9: How many films will gross over $200 million?
#10: What will be the highest grossing film not predicted in the total gross section (including the backup films)?

NOTE on #10: If your movie has its release date moved out of the season window, the question will not be voided. Choose your movie carefully based on potential gross and likelihood of being released in this season's window.

Remember, the season's contest covers movies released from April 27th, 2018 to August 31st, 2018. The deadline for filling out the form is April 26th, 2018 at 11:59 PM CST.

Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:06 pm
---------

Post Re: KJ's Summer Box Office Contest 2018 - NEW
Please let me know if you see anything really obvious that I've missed. :)

Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:06 pm
---------

Quote:
The Equalizer 2
The Meg

I'm pretty sure these are both going to move, so that's why I didn't include them in any box office question.

Quote:
#4: Which sequel will fall the most from its predecessor (%-wise) - Deadpool 2, The First Purge, Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation, The Incredibles 2, Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again!, Mission: Impossible - Fallout, or Sicario 2: Soldado?
#5: Which sequel will gross the closest to its predecessor (%-wise) - Deadpool 2, The First Purge, Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation, The Incredibles 2, Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again!, Mission: Impossible - Fallout, or Sicario 2: Soldado?

Yep, so no Equalizer 2 due to it likely being moved (as its release date has already changed 4 times). Also didn't include Avengers: Infinity War here since what its actual predecessor would be is too confusing (you could make a decent argument each for Age of Ultron, Civil War, and Black Panther). Similar reason for Ant-Man and the Wasp not showing up in this question too (even though its predecessor is a bit more clear).

Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:07 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Cool another round where I will do bad :P

Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:08 pm
The Kramer

What makes you think Meg will move? Seems like its current release date would definitely be best. It doesn’t have a trailer, but its a movie about a big shark. What else do you need to sell?

Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:06 am
now we know

Actually I do not think either will move. August movies usually prefer to get at least the first round of summer movies out the way before they start their marketing.

I've not even heard of Replicas or Book Club.

Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:07 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

I think Equalizer doesn't need to start marketing upfront but Meg does and it looks like we are in for another release change.

Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:17 am
Keeping it Light

Algren wrote:
I've not even heard of Replicas.

Algren wrote:
Looks eh.

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=83386

Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:26 am
now we know

stuffp wrote:
Algren wrote:
I've not even heard of Replicas.

Algren wrote:
Looks eh.

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=83386

Ok smart-ass. I don't remember that I've ever heard of Replicas because it's such a nothingless name, but I may have, but don't remember right now. Better? Prick! ;)

Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:17 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Oooh smart-ass and prick in the same sentence.

Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:41 am
now we know

It is because I know stuffp can take it and won't go crying to the mods. ;)

Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:06 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Also they're actually in two different sentences, otherwise my mouse pointer would be half way to the report button already.

Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:49 am
Romosexual!

stuffp wrote:
Also they're actually in two different sentences, otherwise my mouse pointer would be half way to the report button already.

:lol:

Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:01 am
Romosexual!

Ant-Man and the Wasp 305m
Avengers: Infinity War 700m
Book Club 30m
Breaking In 50m
Christopher Robin 90m
Crazy Rich Asians 100m
Deadpool 2 380m
The Equalizer 2 65m
The First Purge 75m
Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation 85m
The Incredibles 2 520m
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom 480m
Life of the Party 55m
Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again! 65m
The Meg 100m
Mission: Impossible - Fallout 250m
Ocean's 8 80m
Replicas 40m
Sicaro 2: Soldado 60m
Skyscraper 90m
The Spy Who Dumped Me 65m
Solo: A Star Wars Story 420m
Tag 120m
Teen Titans Go! To The Movies 100m
Uncle Drew 70m

Backups
Hereditary 40m
Overboard 35m

#1: A:Infinity War
#2: Incredibles 2
#3: JW:Fallen Kingdom
#4: Solo
#5: Deadpool 2

#1: Which will gross more in total - Avengers: Infinity War, the combination of The Incredibles 2 and Mission: Impossible - Fallout, the combination of Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom and Ant-Man and the Wasp?
#2: Which will gross more in total - the combination of Deadpool 2 and Skyscraper, the combination of Solo: A Star Wars Story and Christopher Robin?
#3: Which 2 of the following films will gross closest to each other in total in dollars - Crazy Rich Asians, The Spy Who Dumped Me, Tag, or Uncle Drew?
#6: What will be the highest grossing film to not hit #1 on any of its weekends? Christopher Robins
#7: What movie will have lose the largest number of theaters in its 3rd weekend? The Darkest Mind
#8: How many films will gross over $100 million? 10
#9: How many films will gross over $200 million? 7
#10: What will be the highest grossing film not predicted in the total gross section (including the backup films)? Action Point

NOTE on #10: If your movie has its release date moved out of the season window, the question will not be voided. Choose your movie carefully based on potential gross and likelihood of being released in this season's window.

Last edited by Rev on Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:28 pm, edited 13 times in total.

Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:33 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

stuffp wrote:

That's what it takes to report huh ;)

Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:48 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Algren wrote:

I knew that. Wasn't the point :)

Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:48 am
now we know

Jack Sparrow wrote:
Algren wrote:

Does everything go over your head also in the real world?

Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:04 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Algren wrote:
Jack Sparrow wrote:
Algren wrote:

Does everything go over your head also in the real world?

I don't get what you just wrote. What is real? Which world?

Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:12 pm
Hold the door!

Ant-Man and the Wasp- 270
Avengers: Infinity War- 550
Book Club- 40
Breaking In- 55
Christopher Robin- 140
Crazy Rich Asians- 110
Deadpool 2- 363
The Equalizer 2- 60
The First Purge- 55
Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation- 125
The Incredibles 2- 400
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom- 388
Life of the Party- 51
Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again!- 75
The Meg- 80
Mission: Impossible - Fallout- 180
Ocean's 8- 100
Replicas- 30
Sicaro 2: Soldado- 25
Skyscraper- 90
The Spy Who Dumped Me- 65
Solo: A Star Wars Story- 330
Tag- 45
Teen Titans Go! To The Movies- 73
Uncle Drew- 45

Backups
Hereditary- 70
Overboard- 35

#1: Avengers: Infinity War
#2: The Incredibles 2
#3: Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
#4: Deadpool 2
#5: Solo: A Star Wars Story

#6: What will be the highest grossing film to not hit #1 on any of its weekends? Christopher Robin
#7: What movie will have lose the largest number of theaters in its 3rd weekend? The Darkest Minds
#8: How many films will gross over $100 million? 11
#9: How many films will gross over $200 million? 6
#10: What will be the highest grossing film not predicted in the total gross section (including the backup films)? Action Point

Last edited by zwackerm on Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:51 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Ant-Man and the Wasp - $205m
Avengers: Infinity War - $625m
Book Club - $25m
Breaking In - $50m
Christopher Robin - $76m
Crazy Rich Asians - $35m
Deadpool 2 - $300m
The Equalizer 2 - $55m
The First Purge - $60m
Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation - $150m
The Incredibles 2 - $300m
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom - $425m
Life of the Party - $80m
Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again! - $120m
The Meg - $65m
Mission: Impossible - Fallout - $200m
Ocean's 8 - $100m
Replicas - $35m
Sicaro 2: Soldado - $35m
Skyscraper - $100m
The Spy Who Dumped Me - $45m
Solo: A Star Wars Story - $350m
Tag - $75m
Teen Titans Go! To The Movies - $35m
Uncle Drew - $15m

Backups
Hereditary - $25m
Overboard - $21m

#2: Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
#3: Solo: A Star Wars Story
#5: The Incredibles 2

#1: Which will gross more in total - Avengers: Infinity War, the combination of The Incredibles 2 and Mission: Impossible - Fallout, the combination of Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom and Ant-Man and the Wasp? the combination of Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom and Ant-Man and the Wasp
#2: Which will gross more in total - the combination of Deadpool 2 and Skyscraper, the combination of Solo: A Star Wars Story and Christopher Robin? the combination of Solo: A Star Wars Story and Christopher Robin
#3: Which 2 of the following films will gross closest to each other in total in dollars - Crazy Rich Asians, The Spy Who Dumped Me, Tag, or Uncle Drew? Crazy Rich Asians, The Spy Who Dumped Me
#5: Which sequel will gross the closest to its predecessor (%-wise) - Deadpool 2, The First Purge, Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation, The Incredibles 2, Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again!, Mission: Impossible - Fallout, or Sicario 2: Soldado? Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
#6: What will be the highest grossing film to not hit #1 on any of its weekends?
#7: What movie will have lose the largest number of theaters in its 3rd weekend? Mile 22

Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:03 am
Speed Racer

Ant-Man and the Wasp 250m
Avengers: Infinity War 665m
Book Club 20m
Breaking In 25m
Christopher Robin 65m
Crazy Rich Asians 45m
Deadpool 2 240m
The Equalizer 2 45m
The First Purge 55m
Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation 150m
The Incredibles 2 440m
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom 435m
Life of the Party 55m
Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again! 50m
The Meg 50m
Mission: Impossible - Fallout 190m
Ocean's 8 150m
Replicas 36m
Sicaro 2: Soldado 45m
Skyscraper 60m
The Spy Who Dumped Me 50m
Solo: A Star Wars Story 370m
Tag 65m
Teen Titans Go! To The Movies 85m
Uncle Drew 65m

Backups
Hereditary 45m
Overboard 40m

#2: The Incredibles 2
#3: Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
#4: Solo: A Star Wars Story
#5: Ant-Man and the Wasp

#1: Which will gross more in total - Avengers: Infinity War, the combination of The Incredibles 2 and Mission: Impossible - Fallout, the combination of Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom and Ant-Man and the Wasp? Avengers: Infinity War
#2: Which will gross more in total - the combination of Deadpool 2 and Skyscraper, the combination of Solo: A Star Wars Story and Christopher Robin? Solo and Christopher Robin
#3: Which 2 of the following films will gross closest to each other in total in dollars - Crazy Rich Asians, The Spy Who Dumped Me, Tag, or Uncle Drew? The Spy Who Dumped Me and Uncle Drew
#4: Which sequel will fall the most from its predecessor (%-wise) - Deadpool 2, The First Purge, Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation, The Incredibles 2, Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again!, Mission: Impossible - Fallout, or Sicario 2: Soldado? Mamma Mia
#5: Which sequel will gross the closest to its predecessor (%-wise) - Deadpool 2, The First Purge, Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation, The Incredibles 2, Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again!, Mission: Impossible - Fallout, or Sicario 2: Soldado? Mamma Mia
#6: What will be the highest grossing film to not hit #1 on any of its weekends? Teen Titans Go!
#7: What movie will have lose the largest number of theaters in its 3rd weekend? The Meg
#8: How many films will gross over $100 million? 9
#9: How many films will gross over $200 million? 5
#10: What will be the highest grossing film not predicted in the total gross section (including the backup films)? Terminal

Remember, the season's contest covers movies released from April 27th, 2018 to August 31st, 2018. The deadline for filling out the form is April 26th, 2018 at 11:59 PM CST.

Last edited by Birdman on Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:34 am, edited 3 times in total.

Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:39 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Jack Sparrow wrote:
Ant-Man and the Wasp - $205m
Avengers: Infinity War - $625m
Book Club - $25m
Breaking In - $50m
Christopher Robin - $76m
Crazy Rich Asians - $35m
Deadpool 2 - $300m
The Equalizer 2 - $55m
The First Purge - $60m
Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation - $150m
The Incredibles 2 - $300m
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom - $425m
Life of the Party - $80m
Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again! - $120m
The Meg - $65m
Mission: Impossible - Fallout - $200m
Ocean's 8 - $100m
Replicas - $35m
Sicaro 2: Soldado - $35m
Skyscraper - $100m
The Spy Who Dumped Me - $45m
Solo: A Star Wars Story - $350m
Tag - $75m
Teen Titans Go! To The Movies - $35m
Uncle Drew - $15m

Backups
Hereditary - $25m
Overboard - $21m

#2: Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
#3: Solo: A Star Wars Story
#5: The Incredibles 2

#1: Which will gross more in total - Avengers: Infinity War, the combination of The Incredibles 2 and Mission: Impossible - Fallout, the combination of Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom and Ant-Man and the Wasp? the combination of Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom and Ant-Man and the Wasp
#2: Which will gross more in total - the combination of Deadpool 2 and Skyscraper, the combination of Solo: A Star Wars Story and Christopher Robin? the combination of Solo: A Star Wars Story and Christopher Robin
#3: Which 2 of the following films will gross closest to each other in total in dollars - Crazy Rich Asians, The Spy Who Dumped Me, Tag, or Uncle Drew? Crazy Rich Asians, The Spy Who Dumped Me
#4: Which sequel will fall the most from its predecessor (%-wise) - Deadpool 2, The First Purge, Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation, The Incredibles 2, Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again!, Mission: Impossible - Fallout, or Sicario 2: Soldado? Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
#5: Which sequel will gross the closest to its predecessor (%-wise) - Deadpool 2, The First Purge, Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation, The Incredibles 2, Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again!, Mission: Impossible - Fallout, or Sicario 2: Soldado? Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation
#6: What will be the highest grossing film to not hit #1 on any of its weekends? Life of the Party
#7: What movie will have lose the largest number of theaters in its 3rd weekend? Mile 22

Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:04 pm
---------

Out of curiosity, why not just edit your original post? ;)

Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:31 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

I thought you wanted to keep adding it in updated quotes.

Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:50 am
---------

Jack Sparrow wrote:
I thought you wanted to keep adding it in updated quotes.

Nah, you don't have to do that. You can keep updating it until the deadline. I would only recommend quoting your original predictions if you're submitting an update really close to or right after the deadline (so that your original predictions are still there if the update is not approved).

Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 249 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next