Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Dr. Seuss' The Grinch Predictions 
Veteran

Post Re: Dr. Seuss' The Grinch Predictions
Para - Do you have faith that Dreamworks Animation has a future?

I was blind, but now I see.

Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:33 pm
Veteran

Do you have faith that Dreamworks Animation has a future?

Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:39 pm
Hatchling

lilmac wrote:

When Katzenberg was in charge, despite some misses I generally loved Dreamworks films and thought one day they will be back! But his replacement, Meledandri hasn't convinced me with his decisions at Illumination that he can bring the kind of quality that once Dreamworks had in their films. So my faith is diminishing! I could be wrong tho. We'll have to wait and see.

Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:59 am
Veteran

Para wrote:
lilmac wrote:

When Katzenberg was in charge, despite some misses I generally loved Dreamworks films and thought one day they will be back! But his replacement, Meledandri hasn't convinced me with his decisions at Illumination that he can bring the kind of quality that once Dreamworks had in their films. So my faith is diminishing! I could be wrong tho. We'll have to wait and see.

Not sure why I double posted but anyway - yea I got caught up in the hype back in the 90s when this venture was announced. Some thought it could be a major studio. I remember Katzenberg having to borrow the $ needed to put in his share (Spielberg and Geffen already being billionaires). While he was wealthy the amount of capital those three invested in this idea was substantial. That’s how bought in and committed they seemed to be. Almost immediately there were signs all this wouldn’t be a slam dunk.

1. Geffen’s illustrious career in the music industry didn’t translate into DreamWorks becoming a powerhouse record company. Maybe that was never the intention. I can only speak to my expectations at the time. Geffen was more involved in business dealings and getting investors to back the company. All important but at the end of the day you need something to show for it. Easy to see why people thought Dreamworks was vying to become a major player in music, movies and animation. Where was the music part??

2.Spielberg: the issue with the Beard was that he still had ties with other studios and so while he continued to make films they were often under another banner. Yes films like Peacemaker were getting made and were DreamWorks movies but they weren’t directed by Spielberg. I and many others envisioned future mega blockbusters on the scale of his biggest ones and solely under the Dreamworks logo. That was the whole point. I guess technically SVP was Dreamworks but that was a joint venture with Paramount. Part of the ‘issue’ is that Spielberg changed. I was young and Dreamworks was created not long after Jurassic Park. I just thought Dreamworks was going to be a factory for movies as grand and epic and amazing as that. Instead he focused largely on medium to small fare (Amistad, Terminal, Minority, Catch Me). SVP being an exception. By the time War of Worlds came out the writing was on the wall for Dreamworks.

3. Katzenberg - expectations were tempered simply due to the long lead time of animated films. He had to start from scratch. Paid off with Shrek and Shrek 2 but it took awhile.

Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:04 am
Hatchling

lilmac wrote:
Para wrote:
lilmac wrote:

Not sure why I double posted but anyway - yea I got caught up in the hype back in the 90s when this venture was announced. Some thought it could be a major studio. I remember Katzenberg having to borrow the $ needed to put in his share (Spielberg and Geffen already being billionaires). While he was wealthy the amount of capital those three invested in this idea was substantial. That’s how bought in and committed they seemed to be. Almost immediately there were signs all this wouldn’t be a slam dunk.

1. Geffen’s illustrious career in the music industry didn’t translate into DreamWorks becoming a powerhouse record company. Maybe that was never the intention. I can only speak to my expectations at the time. Geffen was more involved in business dealings and getting investors to back the company. All important but at the end of the day you need something to show for it. Easy to see why people thought Dreamworks was vying to become a major player in music, movies and animation. Where was the music part??

2.Spielberg: the issue with the Beard was that he still had ties with other studios and so while he continued to make films they were often under another banner. Yes films like Peacemaker were getting made and were DreamWorks movies but they weren’t directed by Spielberg. I and many others envisioned future mega blockbusters on the scale of his biggest ones and solely under the Dreamworks logo. That was the whole point. I guess technically SVP was Dreamworks but that was a joint venture with Paramount. Part of the ‘issue’ is that Spielberg changed. I was young and Dreamworks was created not long after Jurassic Park. I just thought Dreamworks was going to be a factory for movies as grand and epic and amazing as that. Instead he focused largely on medium to small fare (Amistad, Terminal, Minority, Catch Me). SVP being an exception. By the time War of Worlds came out the writing was on the wall for Dreamworks.

3. Katzenberg - expectations were tempered simply due to the long lead time of animated films. He had to start from scratch. Paid off with Shrek and Shrek 2 but it took awhile.

I haven't thought about it before until now. Spielberg never made an animated movie under Dreamworks banner. I might be wrong but it looks like of all those partners only Katzenberg showed a serious interest in developing DWA as a major studio.

Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:51 am
Veteran

It was Geffen that really pushed for the creation of this company. Spielberg was never going to be the animation guy. That was going to be Katz, fresh off the success of Lion King. I think they expected more Jurassic Park and Indiana Jones type movies from Spielberg but he never stopped working with the established studios. I'm not ascribing malice. It could have been the only way from a financial perspective to get funding for the big budget flicks.

Para wrote:
lilmac wrote:
Para wrote:
lilmac wrote:

I haven't thought about it before until now. Spielberg never made an animated movie under Dreamworks banner. I might be wrong but it looks like of all those partners only Katzenberg showed a serious interest in developing DWA as a major studio.

Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:25 am
llegó a la casa vía marítima

The Jim Carey version is still a Christmas classic watched by millions every year.

This should have come out in 15-20 years. Too soon.

Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:29 am
Begging Naked

God, I have no idea how to predict the opening for this. Illumination has quietly become the most consistently massive animation studio this decade, it's kinda nuts. Their opening week track record (since DM2 and Sing's Wednesday openings throw the weekends off):

Despicable Me - $85,630,895
The Lorax - $82,878,830
Despicable Me 2 - $165,658,010
Minions - $166,491,710
The Secret Life of Pets - $152,587,865
Sing - $93,059,795
Despicable Me 3 - $115,190,660

Combining that with a brand name as strong as Grinch...but when there's already been a popular movie adaptation of it....and opening so far away from Christmas....man I don't know. It could start small and then just be leggy, or it could be massive right out the gate. I guess a $70-80 million opening?

Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:16 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Jonathan wrote:
God, I have no idea how to predict the opening for this. Illumination has quietly become the most consistently massive animation studio this decade, it's kinda nuts. Their opening week track record (since DM2 and Sing's Wednesday openings throw the weekends off):

Despicable Me - $85,630,895
The Lorax - $82,878,830
Despicable Me 2 - $165,658,010
Minions - $166,491,710
The Secret Life of Pets - $152,587,865
Sing - $93,059,795
Despicable Me 3 - $115,190,660

Combining that with a brand name as strong as Grinch...but when there's already been a popular movie adaptation of it....and opening so far away from Christmas....man I don't know. It could start small and then just be leggy, or it could be massive right out the gate. I guess a $70-80 million opening?

I'm likely in the minority, but I see a sub $50m open with solid legs. It's opening a bit too early but the rest of November is quite crowded. Peanuts, another equally well-known property, had basically the same release date en route to a $44m bow.

Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:23 pm
Hold the door!

I think this will do 45-50m OW and 160m close.

Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:18 pm
Into the fray

zwackerm wrote:

So worse than Hotel Transylvania 3, and about 50% less than the average Illumination film

lol

Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:57 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Kenspy wrote:
zwackerm wrote:

So worse than Hotel Transylvania 3, and about 50% less than the average Illumination film

lol

I don’t think people just see Illumination films because they’re illumination. People see them because they have marketing that connects. I don’t think the trailers have sold a reason as to why we need a third Grinch movie, when the first two are already considered generational classics.

Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:37 pm
Forum General

Even the trailer acknowledges, "It's never too early to be annoyed by Christmas". I think it looks cute, reviews will assuredly be positive, but legs could be shaky because of the release date. Way too soon for the holiday impact.

Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:10 am
Hold the door!

This might do Big Hero 6 numbers if its lucky.

Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:25 am
Forum General

This doesn't look bad at all, it's just too early and I don't see people caring all that much. I'm not expecting a large Illumination-esque OW.

Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:39 am
The Kramer

Illumination will taking over Shrek next. :funny: I guess they have confidence in Illumination’s work with green lead characters.

Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:03 pm
Forum General

First two RT reviews have posted and neither are encouraging. Hope there's good ones around the corner.

Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:05 pm
Forum General

Reviews keep sinking, now rotten at 57%. Even most of the fresh ones are marginal.

Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:09 am
Extraordinary

Brand name animated film with a holdover musical as it's main competition I think it's going to clean up. I'm not watching it but I'm sure lots of families and kids are going to see it.

I went with a crazy 62 opening

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2