Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Tuesday Numbers- Panther is still on the prowl 
Top Poster

Post Tuesday Numbers- Panther is still on the prowl
Gitesh says 20m+, other sources are indicating 21.5m+

Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:29 am
Top Poster

Post Re: Tuesday Numbers- Panther is still on the prowl
THR is also estimating 21+

Quote:
Looks like #BlackPanther grossed $21M or so on Tuesday, the 9th biggest Tuesday ever (unadjusted) and the biggest outside of summer or year-end holidays when schools are dark. Official number to follow later in the day.

Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:28 pm
Begging Naked

Goddamn. Even taking discount Tuesday into account that is a bananas number considering that most/all schools were back in session. Looking at this showdown, it looks like Black Panther is gonna keep pace ahead of Avengers 1 for at least the rest of the week, and then it's up to its Friday increase to determine where it goes. I imagine hype is so strong right now, plus maybe more school trips, will make the Friday increase softer than those three mega-openers, but at this point who knows?

Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:55 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

Here are the comps:
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/ch ... =07&p=.htm

I was blind, but now I see.

Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:44 pm
Deshi Basara

You can't really infer that much from the weekday numbers this week. Too many variables when looking at comparable films.

The best chance the film has at avoiding a 60%+ drop is if it is playing a lot like a social change drama, which there is a hint of. I've been seeing comparisons of T'challa to MLK.

Most Impressive Openings: Honorable Mentions

Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:47 pm
Cream of the Crop

Probably headed for around $15m on Wednesday and $14m Thursday. That would put it in pretty good position to reach $100m for the second weekend. Deadpool's 2nd weekend was about 7.06 times higher than Thursday. So about $14.2m Thursday would put Panther on a great track for the $100m weekend.

Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:53 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

According to multiple posters at BOT forum, there are a bunch of school kids out of school right now for "winter break" in the New York/New England areas. So it's not just Monday that was boosted (nationwide). Seems all of the numbers this week will be boosted in that Northeast region of the country.

Probably explains why Deadpool didn't jump as much as some other non-summer films for the second Friday. It jumped 102% whereas some of the MCU films with much weaker legs overall jumped as much as 140% on the second Friday. They were released with all kids still in school though.

Black Panther needs to run about 99% higher than Deadpool the rest of the way to reach $659.4m and pass Titanic for #3 all-time on the domestic chart. On Monday it was over 100% ahead of Deadpool. On Tuesday it was about 80% ahead of Deadpool. Will be fun to track this and see how it goes.

Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:10 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

1 (1) Black Panther Walt Disney $20,857,361 -48% 4,020 $5,188 $263,013,041 5

https://www.the-numbers.com/daily-box-office-chart

Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:28 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Magnus wrote:
the amount of schools out is minimal, and given how big Peter Rabbit/Jumanji dropped I think attributing any major signifiacne of it to BP Tuesday is not valid.

I do think discount Tuesdays have become bigger so is a bigger reason why BP Tuesday had a better retention from its 4-day than Deadpool did. Deadpool dropped 25% on Wednesday whereas I expect BP to drop 30%. though given the run its having, a 15m+ Wednesday also wouldn't be shocking.

What? I'm not saying the school thing helps it compared to Deadpool. Deadpool also benefited from schools being out. I'm saying it benefits Panther (and Deadpool) compared to early May films in the MCU...which is why Deadpool then had a much weaker Friday increase (100% vs. 130% or more for May MCU films).

Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:45 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Another brilliant number but lower than early estimates :P

Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:24 pm
Top Poster

Lot's of twitter reports of heavy traffic and sold out shows this afternoon and evening on a Wednesday! :zonks:

Also I wonder if Half price Tuesday really made a difference or would people have come out anyway? Has a movie ever increased on a Wednesday?

Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:41 pm
Cream of the Crop

Passionate Thug wrote:
Lot's of twitter reports of heavy traffic and sold out shows this afternoon and evening on a Wednesday! :zonks:

Also I wonder if Half price Tuesday really made a difference or would people have come out anyway? Has a movie ever increased on a Wednesday?

Discount Tuesday causes a heavy increase in demand. This week is different because a lot of people nationwide were off work and out of school on Monday. But the Discount Tuesday boost is still there compared to Wednesday/Thursday. I would think most films will drop around 25-35% on Wednesday.

For Wednesday increases, the only time it happens now is when there is a holiday. July 4th is a Wednesday this year, so it will probably have a good increase. Force Awakens first Wednesday increased slightly because it was getting closer and closer to Christmas, so more and more people were off that day compared to Tuesday.

Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:06 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Proud Ryu wrote:
You can't really infer that much from the weekday numbers this week. Too many variables when looking at comparable films.

The best chance the film has at avoiding a 60%+ drop is if it is playing a lot like a social change drama, which there is a hint of. I've been seeing comparisons of T'challa to MLK.

Being compared to MLK?

Fuck me people have low standards these days.

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:18 pm
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

I’m guessing it’s more of a comparison in character traits rather than actual importance. (I hope)

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:18 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]