Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Friday Number - Black Power 
Forum General

Post Re: Friday Number - Black Power
Great to see, especially in February!

Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:07 am
Extraordinary

Guru's number is just another "early" estimate... He even says so in the tweet: "roughly" $75m...

Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:18 am
Profile WWW
Superfreak

I do not think WOM will be that great outside of the urban audience.

Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:40 am
Begging Naked

This movie is on track for its eighth weekend in a row with a sub-20% drop. Is it ever going to slow down?

Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:49 am
Profile WWW
The Incredible Hulk

Excel wrote:
I do not think WOM will be that great outside of the urban audience.

Lol keep teeling yourself that Because it was way more than black people who Erupted in Applause at the end of this movie. It is certainly way more than black people who are raving this movie on Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, hell everywhere.

Last edited by pro1986 on Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:54 am
Begging Naked

Second Aardman movie to be completely trounced in the US by a Marvel Studios movie, after Pirates: Band of Misfits opened the weekend before Avengers. It's amazing to consider that Chicken Run was a legit smash (the second biggest animated film of 2000, adjusts to $182 million), and no one has really tried giving them another chance in the mainstream.

Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:59 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Jonathan wrote:

Second Aardman movie to be completely trounced in the US by a Marvel Studios movie, after Pirates: Band of Misfits opened the weekend before Avengers. It's amazing to consider that Chicken Run was a legit smash (the second biggest animated film of 2000, adjusts to $182 million), and no one has really tried giving them another chance in the mainstream.

Early Man looks so much better than Shaun the Sheep. I'm shocked to see it open lower. I'm thinking stop motion is on the decline.

Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:09 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

$75.808 million is the official estimate.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:32 pm
Profile WWW
Romosexual!

Corpse wrote:
$75.808 million is the official estimate.

If it holds it’s the 8th best single day gross all-time
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/da ... gle&p=.htm

Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:45 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Amazing. I wonder where BP will end in total with this Cinemascore. $500m is almost locked with a great chance of $550m. But I don't think it will do $600m. Plus the multiplier being similar to CW doesn't give me too much confidence. It's mostly because MCU movies are getting more and more frontloaded.

Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:47 pm
Romosexual!

If OD was 80m + I would have more faith at 500m. Hopefully with great WOM it’ll get there.

#WakandaForever :D

Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:58 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

True I think I miscalculated with $200m 3-day and $500m total. 4-day multipliers are hard to predict in comparison.

Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:01 pm
Indiana Jones IV

So, even with Black Panther's mammoth opening, Jumanji dropped... 14.3%. Its run has been absolutely crazy and doesn't seem to want to let up.

Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:46 pm
You must have big rats

Black Panther has $450 million locked up, not $500 million yet, yeah. But either way, the film is a major, major win for Disney and the MCU. At worst, it will finish in the all-time Top 15 domestically.

If The Greatest Showman had been a legit awards contender, it'd be well on its way towards a $225+ million total. That run is pure insanity.

And Jumanji is going to cross $400 million. For fuck's sake, lol.

Coco's run is underwhelming. It had a very good opening and will have a solid total gross, but the legs have been lacking.

And whether The Shape of Water or Three Billboards will win BP at the Oscars, it will be the highest-grossing Best Picture winner since Argo. Both of their runs have been pretty good, especially The Shape of Water's given the kind of film it is.

Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:01 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Awesome number. It is incredible how Feige has built the MCU over the last 10 years. Black Panther movie getting $30m on opening day would be a great result, never mind $76m!!!

Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:06 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Pure Flix has been struggling for over a year. Wonder if their marketing reach is challenging due to their budgets.

Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:18 pm
Extraordinary

Aardvark movies have such a bad track record of being released at the worst times. They might as well just open these in September.

Chicken Run - The exception. Six weeks after Dinosaur. One before Rocky and Bullwinkle.

Flushed Away - Opened against Santa Clause 3. Two weeks before Happy Feet.

Wallace and Gromit - Solid and opened at #1 in September

Arthur Christmas - Opened four weeks after Puss In Boots. One week after Happy Feet 2. Same weekend as The Muppets AND Hugo.

Early Man - One week after Peter Rabbit. Same week as Black Panther.

Shaun the Sheep - Seven weeks after Inside Out. Eight after Jurassic World. Two after Pixels. Four after Minions. Three after Ant Man.

Pirates Band of Misfits - One week after Chimpanzees but opened at #2.

April and Sept seem to be better for them. They need to work on their release dates.

Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:31 pm
Profile WWW
Superfreak

redfirebird2008 wrote:
Awesome number. It is incredible how Feige has built the MCU over the last 10 years. Black Panther movie getting $30m on opening day would be a great result, never mind $76m!!!

The MCU is possibly the most impressive cinematic series ever. Its astounding. I think many suspected they would weaken as they transitioned out of the initial group of heroes, but they're only getting stronger. :shock:

Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:34 pm
Extraordinary

Excel wrote:
redfirebird2008 wrote:

The MCU is possibly the most impressive cinematic series ever. Its astounding. I think many suspected they would weaken as they transitioned out of the initial group of heroes, but they're only getting stronger. :shock:

There is value to this argument. The good management behind the MCU vs the poor management behind the SW franchise are fascinating parallel paths to watch, considering they are from the same studio entity.

Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:39 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Excel wrote:
redfirebird2008 wrote:

It is extremely impressive for sure. They just keep getting stronger and stronger. Feige has built a lot of trust with audiences and that is a powerful ace in the hole for any MCU project at this point. He's now tapping into markets that were probably underserved by the earlier MCU films and retaining a lot of the old audience too. It's a juggernaut.

Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:41 pm
Profile WWW
100% That Bitch

Can someone explain me how Jumanji fell 14% from last week? AGAINST BLACK DUCKING PANTHER

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:50 pm
Extraordinary

Mau wrote:
Can someone explain me how Jumanji fell 14% from last week? AGAINST BLACK DUCKING PANTHER

Probably the same reason it's going to do $400 m +? It's reversing all signs of gravity.

Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:53 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

I'm surprised 50 Shades did so well last night. Not that reviews would have an effect, but V-day was Wednesday and BP was opening.

Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:59 pm
Forum General

Awesome start for Black Panther. It might not have quite gotten to Avengers level, but doing $200M+ in its first 4-Days is still astounding. I agree that $500M isn't quite locked up just yet, but $450M isn't exactly chump change either and even if it did only end with that amount it would still be pretty amazing. Marvel is looking to have a truly phenomenal year with two potential films doing $450M+ maybe even $500M+ domestic and $1B+ WW. Not to mention Ant-Man&The Wasp will post really solid numbers as well. Feige really deserves major props for how he has successfully managed this universe over the past 10 years.

Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:02 pm
The Antichrist

Dr. Lecter wrote:
Coco's run is underwhelming. It had a very good opening and will have a solid total gross, but the legs have been lacking.

Not really. The rule for well-received Disney/Pixar animated films (not named Frozen) opening on Thanksgiving is that they get 23/24% of their total on the 3-day OW. Coco is going to get about 24%, so its legs are fine. The main issues were
a) gross distribution: after an amazingly promising early path, the film started to get underwhelming holds
b) opening weekend: you can't get that far when you barely open above 50M (among Pixar films, only The Good Dinosaur sold less tickets on OW).

Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next