Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 The Greatest Showman: What the fuck went right? 

What will The Greatest Showman's final domestic total be?
Poll ended at Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:18 pm
Under $150 million 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
$150-160 million 38%  38%  [ 3 ]
$160-170 million 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
$170-180 million 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
$180-190 million 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
$190-200 million 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Over $200 million 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 8

The Greatest Showman: What the fuck went right? 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: The Greatest Showman: What the fuck went right?
Rev wrote:
Jack Sparrow wrote:
Nah it's just not the music. I believe it is connecting to millennials who generally don't see musicals in theaters. Plus of course the older audience.

Because of the music 98%,
1% Hugh Jackman, .5% Zendaya, .5% Zack

Yes music is a big part but it's definitely not that high. There are movies with better music that didn't do as well in terms of drops

Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:41 am
Wallflower

Jonathan wrote:
Rolling Thunder wrote:
Logic dictates that TGS will see its first drop over 20% this weekend. Then again, the film has defied logic at every turn.

I mean, the holiday could end up negating any harsh effect from Black Panther. This seems to be in Frozen territory, where it just keeps chugging along no matter the theatrical obstacles.

Yeah I don't see it dropping 20% this weekend thanks to the holiday. Drop will likely be better than last weekend even with Panther.

Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:06 am
Wallflower

Magnus wrote:
But the way its gonna get to its end total is something I still can't wrap my head around. I enjoyed the movie but having one of the leggiest run for a 3,000+ released film ever? It still doesn't add up. There has to be a strong base of folks who are going again and again.

I know quite a few people who have gone 3-5 times. I saw it the other night and just don't get it. It's solid but crazy that it has become such a phenomenon. It's not THAT great. Not to me anyway. But obviously others wholeheartedly disagree. The music isn't even that amazing. But good for it being a hit. Its Box Office has been fun to watch and hopefully it will lead to more original musicals.

Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:09 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

I too hope we see more and more original musicals based on TGS's success.

Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:51 pm
You must have big rats

Magic Mike wrote:
Magnus wrote:
But the way its gonna get to its end total is something I still can't wrap my head around. I enjoyed the movie but having one of the leggiest run for a 3,000+ released film ever? It still doesn't add up. There has to be a strong base of folks who are going again and again.

I know quite a few people who have gone 3-5 times. I saw it the other night and just don't get it. It's solid but crazy that it has become such a phenomenon. It's not THAT great. Not to me anyway. But obviously others wholeheartedly disagree. The music isn't even that amazing. But good for it being a hit. Its Box Office has been fun to watch and hopefully it will lead to more original musicals.

It is not in my Top 10 of last year or anything, but the moment I walked out of my press screening, the first thing I said is that it is a HUGE crowd pleaser. Pretty much the perfect all-appealing crowd pleaser.

Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:03 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

It looks like $175 million is a sure thing now. Can it top Grease's unadjusted $188.8 million total, though?

Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:04 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

I agree there are better musicals that made more but the only one I can think of that is as uplifting and fun is Hairspray. Mamma Mia is bad, Les Mis, and Into the Woods are downers, La La Land isn’t as mainstream accessible, etc.

Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:23 pm
Extraordinary

Really would have loved to see this get to $200 m though I don't see that happening now. Maybe Jumanji can lend it $25 m?

Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:43 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

zwackerm wrote:
I agree there are better musicals that made more but the only one I can think of that is as uplifting and fun is Hairspray. Mamma Mia is bad, Les Mis, and Into the Woods are downers, La La Land isn’t as mainstream accessible, etc.

Mamma Mia is tons of fun. I prefer it to Showman. But I also love that film's location.

Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:46 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Yeah Mamma Mia! isn't bad but almost of the same category as TGS in terms of movie making though a little better as it only concentrates on a few storylines.

Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:51 pm
Wallflower

Jack Sparrow wrote:
Yeah Mamma Mia! isn't bad but almost of the same category as TGS in terms of movie making though a little better as it only concentrates on a few storylines.

Oh I agree. Neither are great films. Just fluff. Which is fine.

Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:52 pm
Hold the door!

I really do think The Greatest Showman has more rewatch value than most musicals because of just how fun it is. It makes you feel good. That's literally it.

Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:24 am
Begging Naked

Had its first drop over 30%, but it also passed $160 million, surpassing the expectations of all but three people from just a month ago. It'll probably start shedding theaters a little faster now, but with still no DVD release date set I think it can still reach $170 million, and probably even pass Chicago for title of the third biggest live-action musical of all time, behind only Beauty and the Beast and Grease. Amazing.

Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:45 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

It's still going to play on for a long time in theaters. 30% isn't that big of a drop we were just spoiled by it's sub 20% drops earlier

Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:11 pm
Extraordinary

Finally saw this last night (week 10). This is the real deal. So glad that it found an audience because it's such an ambitious effort that delivers for the audience. This Is Me seems to be getting the most attention, but this song left goosebumps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQWZK5U233s

I doubt they would ever do a sequel to this but pretty sure it will do huge business once it hits Netflix and home video. There's still a huge audience here that will probably show up again.

Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:01 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

So its 7 years later and still no real movement on a sequel. A bit surprising considering Disney owns Fox now and seems like they'd had pushed hard for this. If they get a script this year can't see it getting a release until maybe 2027 at the earliest.

Zendaya, Efron, Williams and Jackman all still relevant and Zendaya is significantly better known than she was at the time of the film's release post Spider-man.

I think an interesting idea would be for them to have P.T. Barnum go against Adam John Forepaugh his biggest rival. I think the only current actor who could maybe keep up with Jackman in this type of role might be Ryan Gosling. A reunion with Michelle Williams too feels like it would be an interesting premise and I could see it be a huge box office and critical hit if the quality is there.

Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:04 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Wow, 7 years. Time flies.

Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:37 pm
The Kramer

Now that we have a 15/150+ performer every December is it time to admit The Greatest Showman run wasn't really all that?

:P

Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:03 pm
Hold the door!

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
Now that we have a 15/150+ performer every December is it time to admit The Greatest Showman run wasn't really all that?

:P

Greatest showman opened to 8m and closed with 174 so that's almost a 22x multiple.

Migration did over a 10x multiple

Puss in boots 2 did a 15x multiple. As did Anyone but you.

So greatest showman is still better than all those

Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2