Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Paddington 2 - What Went Wrong? 
Cream of the Crop

Post Re: Paddington 2 - What Went Wrong?
Proud Ryu wrote:
I remember a coworker mom telling me years ago that they didn't do sequels. I thought that was interesting. No modifiers with that - just no sequels. Regardless of how good the first one was, there must be a certain contingent that just won't even consider a sequel.

Generally a wise policy - though in this case, a fatal error.

Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:09 pm
Forum General

David wrote:
Rolling Thunder is an odd dude at times. ;) Often he seems quite the astute box-office observer...but then he'll suggest an idea in the vein of, "There are people who didn't buy a ticket to Paddington 2 because Harvey Weinstein was previously the American distributor." Eh? The only potential post-Weinstein impact was Warner Bros. having less time for promotion.

Am I not free to occasionally dispense some tongue in cheek sarcasm? ;)

Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:00 am
On autopilot for the summer

Nothing went wrong in my optinion. It was never going to be huge, and should still hit 200+ WW

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:24 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

I too agree in a sense the decline won't be VERY huge now that the movie recovered but its OD was about 50% below the original so at first it looked liked the audience seems to be rejecting it.

Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:30 am
Forum General

Proud Ryu wrote:
Just dusted off some ancient MTC data. It's not just that kid sequels tend to do worse than originals, but even tracking itself habitually overestimates kid sequels. Parents must be really averse in general to taking their kids to sequels, even though they themselves aren't necessarily averse to them. Since tracking doesn't reach kids, it must be that tracking for these sequels is really tracking more those without kids who want to see the films.

I remember a coworker mom telling me years ago that they didn't do sequels. I thought that was interesting. No modifiers with that - just no sequels. Regardless of how good the first one was, there must be a certain contingent that just won't even consider a sequel. Piling that on top of Jumanji's success makes for a rough go of it.

What would their reasoning be?

Seems fair considering almost no family films have increased attendance-wise for ages, if ever.

HTTYD, KFP both fell. TS3 actually fell from TS2 and Dory from Nemo. Shrek 2 being the main outlier, but that was fueled by young adults.

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:16 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

I'm not opposed to a well-reviewed/received sequel (as Paddington 2 is) but I do understand the general sentiment to reject family sequels. Many people feel it's just a cash grab at their expense. Still, this one surprised me since the reviews are incredible, the marketplace was wide open for kids fare, and the weather was cold in most of the country, so not much else to do.

Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:22 am
now we know

The pre-release marketing also did not present a storyline that warranted a sequel. For all intents and purposes, the story was identical to the first. There was no escalation in action or comedy, just more of the same. I think that's the core problem here. It may have been reviewed well, but people still favour their gut over their brain, and if it doesn't look fresh they won't bother with it.

Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:52 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

"Paddington 2 has become the latest movie to top Toy Story 2‘s Rotten Tomatoes record, notching the most consecutive Fresh reviews without a single Rotten write-up. As of this writing, Paddington 2 has 164 Fresh reviews, versus Toy Story 2‘s 163."

Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2