Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Thanksgiving Weekend Estimates 
Wallflower

Post Re: Thanksgiving Weekend Estimates
I'm kind of underwhelmed by most except Coco, Lady Bird, Murder On The Orient Express, and of course Call Me By Your Name. I really thought Wonder would increase this weekend. Bad Moms Christmas should have held up much better too.

Last edited by Magic Mike on Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:08 pm
Wallflower

Magnus wrote:
Perhaps the biggest story of the weekend outside of Coco was the 101k PTA for Call Me By Your Name. Haven't seen something that big since La La Land last year.

It's kind of hard to believe it has taken almost a year for a movie to get a $100,000 PSA. I would love to see it hold the record for the year but The Shape of Water might beat it next weekend and if not that then The Post has a great shot at it. Still an amazing result and I can't wait to follow its box office from here.

Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:14 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Good opening for Coco but its mostly inline with Disney multiplier. I am not 100% sure that A+ score will help its legs tremendously but it will cross $200m which should be good for Pixar.

JL as expected dropped hard and I don't think it will stabilize but its multiplier will easily be better than BvS.

I expected more from Wonder but its still doing great. Brilliant for Thor if that number holds, it might overtake Spidey at its current pace.

HUGE from Call My By Your Name, I was expecting BIG numbers but this is HUGE though most likely LGBT (or maybe just gays) came out in full force to watch this.

MotOE and DH2 both got great holds, the former specifically has a great chance now to reach $100m with strong weekdays ahead. I am really surprised at how well DH2 is doing..again.

Expected more from ABMC and all hopes of $80m total are now almost gone.

Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:31 pm
Forum General

Why did Call Me By Your Name do so well? I never would have imagined that in a million years. I predicted a total bomb.

Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:02 pm
Forum General

Rolling Thunder wrote:
Why did Call Me By Your Name do so well? I never would have imagined that in a million years. I predicted a total bomb.

It probably won't stand out as much as it expands. Given the holiday boost, I'd say this opening is on par with Moonlight, which didn't end up being a big hit at the box office (though good for an indie).

Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:10 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Most impressed by Orient Express this weekend. Best drop in the top ten of holdovers. Already at a 3 multiple in its third weekend. Although its an ensemble as well, I'm impressed that its Johnny Depp's first complete "surprise" $100 m + film really since what I feel like is Sleepy Hollow 18 years ago. It's been a flood of big franchise movies but there's a glimmer of hope for his other movies afterall.

Similarly, Julia Roberts will see her first $100 m+ film outside of franchises in 17 years. Oh, and Winona Ryder is popular again? The 90's are back!

Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:19 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

That doesn't seem like such a big drop for JL. Thanksgiving helped but still I expected a drop in the 60s.

Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:50 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Rolling Thunder wrote:

It would be much more interesting to discuss why you thought an extremely well-reviewed Oscar contender with immense LGBT appeal would be a "total bomb" on the coasts. Even with your right-wining leanings, this seems quite ignorant for a purported student of box-office history.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:48 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Coco continues the grand Pixar tradition of B.O. success and wild acclaim for animated films with highly unusual subject matters. DreamWorks, Illumination and Blue Sky with their basic talking animals could never.

Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:59 pm
Extraordinary

I thought Rolling Thunder was kidding but if he wasn't....

Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:08 pm
Wallflower

David wrote:
Rolling Thunder wrote:

It would be much more interesting to discuss why you thought an extremely well-reviewed Oscar contender with immense LGBT appeal would be a "total bomb" on the coasts. Even with your right-wining leanings, this seems quite ignorant for a purported student of box-office history.

:yes:

I doubt it will be that big in wide release, but obviously it was going to be huge in NY/LA and will be big in other major cities as well. The film has a lot of buzz.

If it does reach Moonlight's total that would be a very nice success. Especially for Sony Pictures Classics. One thing that will help Call Me By Your Name is that with a release date a month later it won't already be releasing on Digital/DVD/Blu-ray when the Oscars roll around like Moonlight was. Call Me By Your Name is also expanding at a much slower rate and not going "wide" until later in January. Will allow it to reap the benefits of award nominations. Unless it doesn't get many, but I just can't see that happening.

Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:31 am
Forum General

David wrote:
Rolling Thunder wrote:

It has nothing to do with my political views. I live in the Bible Belt where it virtually has no awareness, much less traction. When i predict a film's prospects, local data is one component for consideration. I'm aware of the reviews but plenty of well-reviewed films don't see success at the box office. It appears I somewhat underestimated its appeal in other areas of the country.

Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:05 am

Isn't it a limited release though?

Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]