Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Weekend Estimates 7/21-7/23 
Begging Naked

Post Re: Weekend Estimates 7/21-7/23
Rolling Thunder wrote:
Looks like Girls Trip only dropped 25% Sunday. Great sign for it.

I think it can be Universal's third original, cheap $135+ million grosser this year, after Split and Get Out. Interesting how their big tentpoles are either falling below expectations (FF8, DM3, The Mummy, Great Wall), while their cheapest stuff is making big bank.

Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:41 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Rolling Thunder wrote:
Looks like Girls Trip only dropped 25% Sunday. Great sign for it.

Seems like Universal was being too conservative anyway. Or is it normal for comedies to drop north of 30% in late July?

It increased 11% on Saturday from true Friday. 25% drop from there seems pretty normal this time of year, but looks great next to Universal's projected 32% drop.

Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:42 pm
Profile WWW
Defeats all expectations

I am in two minds. On one hand, I want Girls Trip to do big numbers because it is my #9 pick in the draft game. On the other, I don't want it to break out because I don't have a lot of faith in the director. The story of The Best Man (and his other works) goes preachy towards the ending and the characters turn bland, who exist only to deliver the sermon. I am guessing something similar happens to Girls Trip. It is outwardly girly and raunchy but ultimately patriarchal and traditional.

Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:28 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

A lot of surprise flops/disappointments this last month. Transformers, Cars 3, War for the Planet of the Apes might actually struggle to be profitable from their theatrical runs. Spider-Man Homecoming is proving to be more frontloaded than expected and will only match Amazing Spider-Man in tickets sold. Despicable Me 3 basically knocked down the franchise from mega blockbuster level to merely 'big'.

Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:19 am
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2