Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 is the Pirates franchise dead now? 
Indiana Jones IV

Post Re: is the Pirates franchise dead now?
is it time to write the obituary now?

Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:19 pm
Extraordinary

Jack Sparrow wrote:
I might think twice for that $700m total. The whole process of shooting in sea takes a lot of effort which is why I believe they make them slower than usual blockbusters.

Pirates 5 was mostly shot on sets in front of green screens. There wasn't much location work.

Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:26 pm
Forum General

I really don't see the point of why the studios would churn out another one of these unless they can significantly cut the budget down to $120-$150M and even that might be too much. This new movie might barely hit $150M domestic and it's reasonable to expect the next movie could possibly go sub $100M. I know the OS performance is what's keeping this franchise alive, but it's not like they are going to be $1B+ grossers anymore.

Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:12 pm
now we know

Just churning out another one would most certainly mean drops in all territories. They need to do something to make people get excited again. Just Jack Sparrow on another booze-filled adventure with ships and other pirates, and oooooh the return of Orlando Bloom (who?) ... isn't going to cut it.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:03 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Dil wrote:
I really don't see the point of why the studios would churn out another one of these unless they can significantly cut the budget down to $120-$150M and even that might be too much. This new movie might barely hit $150M domestic and it's reasonable to expect the next movie could possibly go sub $100M. I know the OS performance is what's keeping this franchise alive, but it's not like they are going to be $1B+ grossers anymore.

Marvel movies are also almost the same budget and they do $750m-$900m aside from a few outliers. I think $800m from a $230m budget should be profitable enough for the studios specially given that the home media sales and merchandise for this franchise are good-to-great.

Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:46 am
Indiana Jones IV

David wrote:
Not to hijack the thread (whistles, does so anyway), but a more interesting question: is the Ridley Scott's Alien-prequel franchise dead now? I wonder if there is any chance Covenant ekes it out overseas, and Fox lets Scott do one more to tie together David and the planet where Ripley's crew sees the space jockey.

100% dead. It's going to be the lowest grossing of the franchise (adjusted, second lowest if we count AVP:R) and that second weekend drop = audiences are done with this take on the series. There's no upside to continuing down this path. A sequel would probably be sub 50m domestic.

There's no reason the franchise couldn't enjoy a successful, crowd-pleasing Rise of the Apes-style relaunch in the next decade, but Ridley Scott sure as hell isn't the guy to spearhead that.

Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:56 pm
Profile WWW
The Wall

When they decide to reboot the series, hopefully they ignore Prometheus and Covenant as canon movies and make.movies worthy of the Alien Universe.

Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:31 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Yeah Alien franchise is pretty much dead now.

I don't think its possible to do a remake with similar impact as the first two Alien movies so they will most likely take the last two entries as the base to restart Alien series.

Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:00 pm
now we know

If they actually remake the film, then a reboot franchise could work. But most likely they will not remake it. They will just reboot it when everyone has forgotten about the recent flop but with the same type of film that basically pays homage to the original Alien/Aliens. Change the face suckers. Change the alien design. Remove connections to previous films via logos and such. Change it all. Make it actually scary again...and it will work.

And, and tell Ridley to fuck off.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:23 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Algren wrote:
If they actually remake the film, then a reboot franchise could work. But most likely they will not remake it. They will just reboot it when everyone has forgotten about the recent flop but with the same type of film that basically pays homage to the original Alien/Aliens. Change the face suckers. Change the alien design. Remove connections to previous films via logos and such. Change it all. Make it actually scary again...and it will work.

And, and tell Ridley to fuck off.

Agreed. And the most popular and culturally influential take on the property was an action-packed war movie with an upbeat ending. Maybe, I don't know, consider making similar/crowd-pleasing like that again instead of another dour haunted house movie?

Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:17 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

I don't know I actually like that Ridley ruined his own franchise. He's had the most asshole-ish view towards it over the years, and always downplayed that Aliens is considered the superior film (So far as him squashing the quasi-sequel when The Martian did so so well that he had big clout again) that when he finally tried again, very few liked it.

I think Alien will survive. If the next Predator film works out, i'd be down for another pairing, if the right people are behind it. The thing about Pirates is the genre was so bad for so long that the first just blew so many away. The problem is they fell back into a genre that always has problems, with characters everyone has grown tired of.

I'm sure Disney will reboot along the way, but Jack Sparrow needs to be retired. He's their biggest clutch now.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:33 am
Indiana Jones IV

Thegun wrote:
I don't know I actually like that Ridley ruined his own franchise. He's had the most asshole-ish view towards it over the years, and always downplayed that Aliens is considered the superior film (So far as him squashing the quasi-sequel when The Martian did so so well that he had big clout again) that when he finally tried again, very few liked it.

I think Alien will survive. If the next Predator film works out, i'd be down for another pairing, if the right people are behind it. The thing about Pirates is the genre was so bad for so long that the first just blew so many away. The problem is they fell back into a genre that always has problems, with characters everyone has grown tired of.

I'm sure Disney will reboot along the way, but Jack Sparrow needs to be retired. He's their biggest clutch now.

Jack Sparrow is still a draw overseas.

Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:02 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Over $600 million worldwide now. $700-750 million, while obviously a sharp decline, is certainly respectable here given the general decline of the franchise, Depp's waning popularity, and the six year gap.

I felt the fifth film ended very well and was a solid conclusion for the series, but I'd be happy with a sixth film.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:07 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Over $160m from China alone.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:40 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

I am a little disappointed it won't do $800m WW but still a decent number though as I mentioned they would really need to rethink about its budget before another one.

Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:28 am
Indiana Jones IV

looks like it will finish with 780-785m worldwide. Enough for another? I don't know...

Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:33 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

BTW with the current exchange I believe the admissions were still on par or a bit higher than last movie. Also that's more than 3.5 times the budget so it should still be a very profitable movie for Disney. I don't see why they won't do another unless the cast don't feel interested in it. I am sure Depp would be fine for another movie, so should be Bloom, the only concern will be Keira who won't be interested in another movie, specially after this movie's scene(s).

Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:55 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Magnus wrote:
If they make a sixth film and bring back all three originals, I actually think it can improve upon this one. Though the gap should be shorter. Like four years max, if not ideally three.

also, I think if they make another they should have a different kind of release date. Maybe a March release. Or if there is no Marvel or Star Wars film scheduled, November or December

Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:34 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

I don't think the November/December release will work for it. Though a March release could work, but yeah a release date outside of MD weekend should be good, maybe mid-June or early July could work for it.

Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:53 am
Hatchling

Jack Sparrow wrote:
I don't think the November/December release will work for it. Though a March release could work, but yeah a release date outside of MD weekend should be good, maybe mid-June or early July could work for it.

The first and second films were released the week after the 4th of July. They should try that date again.

Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:27 am
Hold the door!

Lucky7even wrote:
The first and second films were released the week after the 4th of July. They should try that date again.

Way too prime of a date for Disney to waste on Pirates 6.

Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:44 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Yeah unfortunately the series is not big enough to get that spot alone or otherwise it will be subdued even more by competition.

Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:55 pm
now we know

I would love to see how a Pirates film performs at Christmas.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:16 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

lesterg wrote:
David wrote:
Not to hijack the thread (whistles, does so anyway), but a more interesting question: is the Ridley Scott's Alien-prequel franchise dead now? I wonder if there is any chance Covenant ekes it out overseas, and Fox lets Scott do one more to tie together David and the planet where Ripley's crew sees the space jockey.

100% dead. It's going to be the lowest grossing of the franchise (adjusted, second lowest if we count AVP:R) and that second weekend drop = audiences are done with this take on the series. There's no upside to continuing down this path. A sequel would probably be sub 50m domestic.

There's no reason the franchise couldn't enjoy a successful, crowd-pleasing Rise of the Apes-style relaunch in the next decade, but Ridley Scott sure as hell isn't the guy to spearhead that.

And unsurprisingly, Fox is now "reassessing" the future of Scott's sequel.

Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:05 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Reassess is just a nice way of saying, thanks for buying the reviews, but you're fired.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next