Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 233 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 KJ's Summer 2017 Box Office Contest 
---------

Post KJ's Summer 2017 Box Office Contest

KJ's Summer Box Office Contest 2017

Should be another interesting season of movies! Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 seems to be the obvious pick for #1 of the summer - but after that, who knows how the rest of the movies will stack up. We've got Spider-Man: Homecoming, Wonder Woman, Despicable Me 3, plus a ton of wildcards with The Dark Tower, The Mummy, Dunkirk, and more.

The season's contest covers movies released from May 5th, 2017 to August 25th, 2017. The player with the most points at the end of the game will receive a $25 gift card.

How the Points Work
Spoiler: show
Each player predicts the total domestic box office grosses of 25 movies listed further below. It's the ultimate test in box office predictions: guessing a movie's potential final gross before the season even starts with few, if any, tracking numbers. For each movie, the top 25% of players who predicted most accurately will get 3 points a piece.

Players can also score bonus points. The first is the Top 5. Each players will predict the winter/spring season's five biggest films. Each rank correctly predicted with score 1 point. An extra bonus of 15 points is given to any player who correctly predicts the Summer 2017 Top 5 in the correct order. (This has still never been done in the 4+ year history of this game.) It should be noted only the 30 movies that are being predicted are contenders for our Top 5 point system.

Finally, players predict the answers to ten box office questions. A correct answer scores 2 points.

Ties are broken by who has the lowest total difference between each of their movie predictions and the actual total. Backup movies are in place in case any of the 30 predicted movies change their release date. (Once a movie moves its release date outside our season window, the first backup movie listed comes into play.) Box office questions will only be voided if the movie with the release date change is specifically mentioned in the question, so be careful when crafting your answers.

Ready?
Fill out the form below and paste in this thread / PM it to me by May 4th, 2017 at 11:59 PM CST. Good luck! :thumbsup:

Predict the Following Films' Total Gross
Alien: Covenant
Annabelle: Creation
Atomic Blonde
Baby Driver
Baywatch
The Beguiled
Captain Underpants
Cars 3
The Dark Tower
Despicable Me 3
Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul
Dunkirk
The Emoji Movie
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
The House
An Inconvenient Sequel
King Arthur: Legend of the Sword
The Mummy
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
Spider-Man: Homecoming
Snatched
Transformers: The Last Night
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
War for the Planet of the Apes
Wonder Woman

Backups
All Eyez on Me
Girls Trip

Predict the Top 5 Grossing Movies of Summer 2017
#1:
#2:
#3:
#4:
#5:

The 10 Box Office Questions

#1: Which will gross more in total - Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 or the double the total gross of Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales?
#2: Which will gross more in total - the combination of War of the Planet of the Apes and Wonder Woman or the combination of Spider-Man: Homecoming and Transformers: The Last Knight?
#3: Which 2 of the following films will gross closest to each other in total in dollars - Alien: Covenant, Baywatch, Dunkirk, or The Mummy?
#4: Which sequel will fall the most from its predecessor (%-wise) - Annabelle: Creation, Cars 3, Despicable Me 3, Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, An Inconvenient Sequel, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, Transformers: The Last Knight, or War for the Planet of the Apes?
#5: Which sequel will gross the closest to its predecessor (%-wise) - Annabelle: Creation, Cars 3, Despicable Me 3, Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, An Inconvenient Sequel, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, Transformers: The Last Knight, or War for the Planet of the Apes?
#6: What will be the highest grossing film to not hit #1 on any of its weekends?
#7: What movie will have lose the largest number of theaters in its 3rd weekend?
#8: How many films will gross over $100 million?
#9: How many films will gross over $200 million?
#10: What will be the highest grossing film not predicted in the total gross section (including the backup films)?

NOTE on #10: If your movie has its release date moved out of the season window, the question will not be voided. Choose your movie carefully based on potential gross and likelihood of being released in this season's window.

Remember, the season's contest covers movies released from May 5th, 2017 to August 25th, 2017. The deadline for filling out the form is May 4th, 2017 at 11:59 PM CST.

Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:04 pm
Romosexual!

Post Re: KJ's Summer 2017 Box Office Contest
Alien: Covenant 103m
Annabelle: Creation 67m
Atomic Blonde 50m
Baby Driver 65m
Baywatch 150m
The Beguiled 55m
Captain Underpants 60m
Cars 3 175m
The Dark Tower 115m
Despicable Me 3 250m
Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul 50m
Dunkirk 180m
The Emoji Movie 100m
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 450m
The House 65m
An Inconvenient Sequel 30m
King Arthur: Legend of the Sword 60m
The Mummy 200m
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales 175m
Spider-Man: Homecoming 335m
Snatched 55m
Transformers: The Last Night 200m
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets 80m
War for the Planet of the Apes 215m
Wonder Woman 350m

Backups
All Eyez on Me 60m
Girls Trip 50m

#1: Guardians 2
#2: Wonder Woman
#3: Spider-Man: Homecoming
#4: Despicable 3
#5: War of the Planet of the Apes

#1: Which will gross more in total - Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 or the double the total gross of Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales?
#2: Which will gross more in total - the combination of War of the Planet of the Apes and Wonder Woman or the combination of Spider-Man: Homecoming and Transformers: The Last Knight?
#3: Which 2 of the following films will gross closest to each other in total in dollars - Alien: Covenant, Baywatch, Dunkirk, or The Mummy?
#4: Which sequel will fall the most from its predecessor (%-wise) - Annabelle: Creation, Cars 3, Despicable Me 3, Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, An Inconvenient Sequel, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, Transformers: The Last Knight, or War for the Planet of the Apes?
#5: Which sequel will gross the closest to its predecessor (%-wise) - Annabelle: Creation, Cars 3, Despicable Me 3, Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, An Inconvenient Sequel, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, Transformers: The Last Knight, or War for the Planet of the Apes?
#6: What will be the highest grossing film to not hit #1 on any of its weekends? Captain Underpants
#7: What movie will have lose the largest number of theaters in its 3rd weekend? POTC:DMTNL
#8: How many films will gross over $100 million? 14
#9: How many films will gross over $200 million? 7
#10: What will be the highest grossing film not predicted in the total gross section (including the backup films)? Hitman's Bodyguard

Going to finish this later

Last edited by Rev on Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:22 am, edited 7 times in total.

Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:00 pm
Hold the door!

Alien: Covenant- 89
Annabelle: Creation- 53
Atomic Blonde- 75
Baby Driver- 35
Baywatch- 127
The Beguiled- 10
Captain Underpants- 160
Cars 3- 175
The Dark Tower- 140
Despicable Me 3- 300
Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul- 32
Dunkirk- 150
The Emoji Movie- 107
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2- 400
The House- 90
An Inconvenient Sequel- 12
King Arthur: Legend of the Sword- 57
The Mummy- 84
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales- 190
Spider-Man: Homecoming- 337
Snatched- 78
Transformers: The Last Night- 155
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets- 47
War for the Planet of the Apes- 187
Wonder Woman- 276

Backups
All Eyez on Me- 60
Girls Trip- 45

#1: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
#2: Spider Man: Homecoming
#3: Despicable Me 3
#4: Wonder Woman
#5: Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

#6: What will be the highest grossing film to not hit #1 on any of its weekends? Captain Underpants
#7: What movie will have lose the largest number of theaters in its 3rd weekend? Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul
#8: How many films will gross over $100 million? 13
#9: How many films will gross over $200 million? 4
#10: What will be the highest grossing film not predicted in the total gross section (including the backup films)? Rough Night

Last edited by zwackerm on Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:30 pm
Romosexual!

Oops DP

Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:42 pm
Angels & Demons

I'm in gurl.

Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:04 am
Romosexual!

Lumpy Space Princess wrote:
I'm in gurl.

Post yo shit then gurl

Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:59 am
Wallflower

Say "It" moved to August before the deadline. Would we add it in to the contest? Otherwise it might be a pretty easy answer for #10.

Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:08 am
The Kramer

Alien: Covenant - $73m
Annabelle: Creation - $51m
Atomic Blonde - $102m
Baby Driver- $38m
Baywatch - $103m
The Beguiled - $19m
Captain Underpants - $133m
Cars 3 - $163m
The Dark Tower - $113m
Despicable Me 3 - $313m
Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul - $28m
Dunkirk - $165m
The Emoji Movie -$146m
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - $404m
The House - $131m
An Inconvenient Sequel - $8m
King Arthur: Legend of the Sword - $68m
The Mummy - $111m
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales- $209m
Spider-Man: Homecoming - $331m
Snatched - $59m
Transformers: The Last Night - $174m
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets - $32m
War for the Planet of the Apes - $184m
Wonder Woman - $292m

Backups
All Eyez on Me - $62m
Girls Trip - $89m

#1: Guardians
#2: Spider-Man
#3: Despicable Me
#5: Pirates

#1: Which will gross more in total - Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 or the double the total gross of Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales? Double Pirates
#2: Which will gross more in total - the combination of War of the Planet of the Apes and Wonder Woman or the combination of Spider-Man: Homecoming and Transformers: The Last Knight? Apes and Wonder Woman
#3: Which 2 of the following films will gross closest to each other in total in dollars - Alien: Covenant, Baywatch, Dunkirk, or The Mummy? Baywatch and The Mummy
#4: Which sequel will fall the most from its predecessor (%-wise) - Annabelle: Creation, Cars 3, Despicable Me 3, Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, An Inconvenient Sequel, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, Transformers: The Last Knight, or War for the Planet of the Apes? Annabelle
#5: Which sequel will gross the closest to its predecessor (%-wise) - Annabelle: Creation, Cars 3, Despicable Me 3, Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, An Inconvenient Sequel, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, Transformers: The Last Knight, or War for the Planet of the Apes? Apes
#6: What will be the highest grossing film to not hit #1 on any of its weekends? Baywatch
#7: What movie will have lose the largest number of theaters in its 3rd weekend? Everything Everything
#8: How many films will gross over $100 million? 16
#9: How many films will gross over $200 million? 5
#10: What will be the highest grossing film not predicted in the total gross section (including the backup films)? Hitmans Bodygurd

Last edited by Flava'd vs The World on Mon May 01, 2017 4:01 am, edited 4 times in total.

Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:22 am
---------

Magic Mike wrote:
Say "It" moved to August before the deadline. Would we add it in to the contest? Otherwise it might be a pretty easy answer for #10.

Yep, I think we'd have to - is there a decent chance of that happening?

Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:28 am
Wallflower

MGKC wrote:
Magic Mike wrote:

Yep, I think we'd have to - is there a decent chance of that happening?

I can see it.

Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:45 pm
Angels & Demons

Rev wrote:
I'm in gurl.

Post yo shit then gurl

Yo gurll cheat ya know. I will privately send in my PREDICTIONS brah.

Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:16 am
---------

Rev wrote:
I'm in gurl.

Post yo shit then gurl

Yo gurll cheat ya know. I will privately send in my PREDICTIONS brah.

Good note to all that this is an option. I don't open the messages until the deadline, which allows you to continue to edit the message (in your outbox) up until the deadline.

Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:53 am
Speed Racer

Alien: Covenant - 110m
Annabelle: Creation - 45m
Atomic Blonde - 30m
Baby Driver - 40m
Baywatch - 110m
The Beguiled - 25m
Captain Underpants - 70m
Cars 3 - 180m
The Dark Tower - 120m
Despicable Me 3 - 315m
Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul - 35m
Dunkirk - 230m
The Emoji Movie - 70m
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - 450m
The House - 55m
An Inconvenient Sequel - 15m
King Arthur: Legend of the Sword - 55m
The Mummy - 70m
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales - 160m
Spider-Man: Homecoming - 260m
Snatched - 30m
Transformers: The Last Night - 200m
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets - 40m
War for the Planet of the Apes - 240m
Wonder Woman - 220m

Backups
All Eyez on Me - 20m
Girls Trip - 25m

#2: Despicable Me 3
#3: Spider-Man: Homecoming
#4: War of the Planet of the Apes
#5: Dunkirk

#6: What will be the highest grossing film to not hit #1 on any of its weekends? Alien: Covenant
#7: What movie will have lose the largest number of theaters in its 3rd weekend? Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul
#8: How many films will gross over $100 million? 12
#10: What will be the highest grossing film not predicted in the total gross section (including the backup films)? Detroit

Last edited by Birdman on Tue May 02, 2017 11:24 am, edited 3 times in total.

Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:20 am
Wallflower

They better release a trailer for Dark Tower soon. No idea what to predict for that.

Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:22 pm
Forum General

Alien: Covenant $68m $111m
Annabelle: Creation $44m
Atomic Blonde $38m $68m
Baby Driver $64m $56m
Baywatch $68m $119m
The Beguiled $23m
Captain Underpants $87m
Cars 3 $148m $181m
The Dark Tower $118m $127m
Despicable Me 3 $275m $same
Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul $36m
Dunkirk $235m
The Emoji Movie $71m $same
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 $465m $485m
The House $41m
An Inconvenient Sequel $27m $31m
King Arthur: Legend of the Sword $63m$86m
The Mummy $118m
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales $164m
Spider-Man: Homecoming $183m $217m
Snatched $37m
Transformers: The Last Night $193m $183m
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets $39m
War for the Planet of the Apes $230m
Wonder Woman $234m

Backups
All Eyez on Me $34m $48m
Girls Trip $ $33m

#1: Guardians of the Galaxy 2
#2: Despicable Me 3
#3: Dunkirk
#5: War for the Planet of the Apes

#6: What will be the highest grossing film to not hit #1 on any of its weekends?
#7: What movie will have lose the largest number of theaters in its 3rd weekend?
#8: How many films will gross over $100 million?
#9: How many films will gross over $200 million?
#10: What will be the highest grossing film not predicted in the total gross section (including the backup films)? Detroit vs Rough Night

NOTE on #10: If your movie has its release date moved out of the season window, the question will not be voided. Choose your movie carefully based on potential gross and likelihood of being released in this season's window.

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Last edited by BK on Thu May 04, 2017 8:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:36 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

I must say, that's a rather weak looking summer line up.

Not sure there are any must-sees for me until July with Dunkirk/Apes.

In fact, I haven't seen a movie since John Wick 2 or something. Pretty poor year.

Heck, having gone through the list, of those I am aware of what they are, the only other one I might see is Atomic Blonde depending on reviews.

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:40 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

If you are going by reviews this has been a pretty great year BK ;)

Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:41 pm
Extraordinary

Alien: Covenant - 112
Annabelle: Creation - 54
Atomic Blonde - 55
Baby Driver - 47
Baywatch - 126
The Beguiled - 15
Captain Underpants - 102
Cars 3 - 172
The Dark Tower - 95
Despicable Me 3 - 319
Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul - 38
Dunkirk - 185
The Emoji Movie - 100
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - 362
The House - 46
An Inconvenient Sequel - 30
King Arthur: Legend of the Sword - 73
The Mummy - 121
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales - 167
Spider-Man: Homecoming - 290
Snatched - 86
Transformers: The Last Night - 176
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets - 67
War for the Planet of the Apes - 183
Wonder Woman - 333

Backups
All Eyez on Me - 65
Girls Trip - 47

#2: Wonder Woman
#3: Despicable Me 3
#4: Spider-Man: Homecoming
#5: Dunkirk

#3: Which 2 of the following films will gross closest to each other in total in dollars - Alien: Covenant, Baywatch, Dunkirk, or The Mummy? Baywatch and The Mummy
#6: What will be the highest grossing film to not hit #1 on any of its weekends? Baywatch
#7: What movie will have lose the largest number of theaters in its 3rd weekend? King Arthur
#9: How many films will gross over $200 million? 4
#10: What will be the highest grossing film not predicted in the total gross section (including the backup films)? Rough Night

Last edited by publicenemy#1 on Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:31 am, edited 3 times in total.

Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:57 am
Child Actor

My choice for the film most likely to get bumped off the summer schedule is The Dark Tower. The fact that there hasn't even been a teaser trailer officially released yet for a fairly big movie seems suspicious.

Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:59 pm
I heet the canadian!

Alien: Covenant - $96M
Annabelle: Creation - $48M
Atomic Blonde - $70M
Baby Driver - $38M
Baywatch - $128M
The Beguiled - $14M
Captain Underpants - $127M
Cars 3 - $200M
The Dark Tower - $138M
Despicable Me 3 - $260M
Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul - $40M
Dunkirk - $200M
The Emoji Movie - $62M
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - $365M
The House - $78M
An Inconvenient Sequel - $39M
King Arthur: Legend of the Sword - $74M
The Mummy - $130M
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales - $235M
Spider-Man: Homecoming - $365M
Snatched - $55M
Transformers: The Last Night - $170M
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets - $40M
War for the Planet of the Apes - $195M
Wonder Woman - $250M

Backups
All Eyez on Me - $55M
Girls Trip - $49M

#1: Spider-Man: Homecoming
#2: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
#3: Wonder Woman
#4: Despicable Me 3
#5: Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

#1: Which will gross more in total - Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 or double the total gross of Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales?
#7: What movie will have lose the largest number of theaters in its 3rd weekend? Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
#10: What will be the highest grossing film not predicted in the total gross section (including the backup films)? Detroit

Last edited by Biggestgeekever on Thu May 04, 2017 9:39 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:39 pm
now we know

Just sent mine.

By the way, I love how the "black" films are relegated to backups. :funny:

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:05 am
Profile WWW
I heet the canadian!

I find question 5 to easily be the most interesting one this time around. It feels like half the possibilities are going to gross within +-5% of their predecessor.

Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:02 pm
Romosexual!

Algren wrote:
Just sent mine.

By the way, I love how the "black" films are relegated to backups. :funny:

:funny: KJ is racist

Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:42 pm
now we know

Chippy isn't racist!!!!! He would give black people all the good jobs if he could. Oh wait..

;)

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:11 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

Correct.

trixster wrote: