Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Biggest box-office disappointments of the year 
You must have big rats

NO Owned I guess cause you agreed that I was right on Wimbledon and Troy USA. (Better choices right there then yours)

At least, I was 2 out of 4 but your choices, as the thread starter, were easily proven wrong in my prior analysis which you never answered.

Then the other 2 movies included Reese and Kate. It is too late to go into this and explain this to you tonight.

Talk about being owned.

LOL Goldie, run away without answering my discussion points.

Hopefully you put more thought and effort into your next analysis. Nighty, nighty.

:lol:

I have an idea, I'll start a thread and let people vote. Troy and Wimbledon are by far not better choices than mine. Troy has made its dough internationally, and that more than some people thought. Wimbledon just kicked off its international run and that will be nice as well.

The fact that The Terminal is the least grossing Spielberg movie since Amistad is disappointing in itself.

Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:33 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

I was a bit dissapointed with Catwoman's gross, i expected it to break $50 Million at least.

I was also dissapointed with The Village's final gross, i wanted a $130 Million or more final tbh.

..and last but not least, i was dissapointed alot with Shade, well, not Shade really, but the distributor, they are poo! RKO, you suck.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:43 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

- Ladykillers, Why would you expect it to break the Coen brothers curse of 50 million. Don't you remember the trailers a black comedy with an annoying Tom Hanks in the trailers. NEXT - Annoying is your personal definition. As far as I remember, many people thought it was funny. Furthermore, it is still Tom Hanks and if you go back at BOM (where you already have created 8 accounts, so you won't have problems going back) you can see that 95% of people have predicted Ladykillers to gross more than it did.

- King Arthur - it would do for knights what POTC did for pirates. Are you crazy. The trailer was dark and the moviue was postponed. PLus Johnny Depp in that amazing trailer vs. King Arthur.... NEXT Again, go here:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/forums/vie ... ng&start=0

See the predictions? Of course people knew it wouldn't make $300 million, but I doubt most expected it to struggle to $50 million.

- The Terminal - Why would you expect it to make more. With Tom Hanks in the trailer and him speaking that foreign language. Plus that great shot with the fish. NEXT. :lol: It makes me laugh. So that shot with the fish and the foreign language prevented this movie from grossing more money, right? At least look for better arguments. 80% of people in this thread stated that this movie was a disappointment. It was directed by Spielberg, it got good reviews and it was an easier movie to watch than A.I. and it still didn't even manage to outgross that. Oh, did I mention that it had Hanks?

- Team America - South Park barely made 50 +. Plus this movie had the puppets, the hard R, the cursing, I don't even remember much advertising. Did you really expect as much as 911 100+. Can't even come close to comparing them. NEXT.
I didn't expect $100+ million. BUT I did expect more than $40 million that this movie will make. And so did 95% of people that I know. Oh and more than 1 person in this thread agreed with me on that.

- Harry Potter - the first 2 went down, bo wise, this one was know to be darker. So again why. NEXT. The second movie went down box-office-wise because the first movie was pretty much disliked. However, the second movie was liked my most people and therefore people expected it to AT LEAST match the original. The movie also got splendid reviews and after the first day of $38.6 million, I seriously doubt anyone thought the movie would struggle to $250 million.

OWNED....again.

PS: I still expect the reply to my last analysis of your picks.

Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:46 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Oooooooooooh i forgot, i am also dissapointed with King Arthur, although ive kinda understood that because its done terribly well in INTL, the US doesnt matter so much, its still abit annoying when comparing the two, and seeign such a huge gap :cry: hehe

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:57 pm
Profile WWW
The Original

King Arthur had the Problem that it came from Bruckheimer. When I saw the Trailer and Bruckheimers name attached i thought: Yeah and were are the cars detonations and some cool car race :D
I didnt go to see that movie because of Bruckheimer really. Concepts like Arthur I dont want see them produced by a men who normally makes "easy" and more fun action movies.
That was the reason I didnt see it and a lot of peopel to I know.
So im not surprised about Arthurs gross. Bruckheimer and an old tale just dont fit. And I know a lot of people that think the same way.

Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:16 pm
You must have big rats

King Arthur had the Problem that it came from Bruckheimer. When I saw the Trailer and Bruckheimers name attached i thought: Yeah and were are the cars detonations and some cool car race :D

Well, POTC didn't have car races or detonations and yet it became Brookheimer's most successful movie to date.

Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:41 pm
Profile WWW
I just lost the game

Second of all, none of the posters on here has such a past as Gold Master

I'd like to think I come close.

I don't know how anyone can't understand Lectors' analysis of "The Terminal." Hell, you don't have to agree with it, but he's right. The majority of people were expecting a $100 million hit.

Evidence: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/forums/vie ... 31&start=0

Thread held and maintained for roughly three weeks until the release of The Terminal. Most of the prediction were over $100 million. Unless I'm mistaken, there are only three predictions under $100 million, and only one within $10 million of the actual gross.

Last edited by insomniacdude on Fri Oct 29, 2004 7:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:15 pm
---------

Hidalgo - Wanted it to do 100 million for Mortenson, but after seeing the movie, its gross fitted it. I predicted a $33.0 million opening.

The Ladykillers - Looked really funny, but I guess the R-rating killed it. I thought a $17+ opening was a lock.

Garfield - Though it's domestic gross wasn't bad, I expected another almost Scooby-Doo by predicting a plus 30 million opening.

Mr. 3000 - I really wanting Bernie Mac to have a big hit, and I had predicted a $15+ million opening weekend.

Anacondas: The Hunt for the Black Orchid - Laugh as you will... This looked really good and the commercials were excellent. I thought a 20 million weekend was in store....

Cellular - Didn't perform bad, but looked like a good thriller that should perform on Phone Booth level. I thought a $17 million weekend.

Taxi - I was misleaded by the audicence reactions I sat through. Everytime, the crowd seemed real into it. I went for it to go almost as big as Bringin' Down the House.

And you all knew this one....

Welcome to Mooseport - Everybody Loves Raymond average above 15 million per week. Hardly a million saw it opening weekend! I thought it was going to be Ray's big hit, but obviously he is more of a TV star than movie star and the movie wasn't that funny either - quite dangerous for a comedy.

Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:30 pm
Cream of the Crop

Sat Oct 30, 2004 11:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3