Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Cars 3>Cars 2 Club 
now we know

Post Re: Cars 3>Cars 2 Club
Jack Sparrow wrote:
This is domestic club right?

By now you really shouldn't be asking this question. If there is no mention of "overseas", "Intl", "worldwide" etc., and the poster is American, you can quite confidently assume it is the US gross (which is the only gross referred to as domestic for some reason).

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:19 pm
Profile WWW
Quality is a great business plan

it appears PS is below Boss Baby. Not sure if that is a sign of a break out despite it appearing early on pulse/MT.

I used to be shawman.

Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:20 pm
Romosexual!

This looks 100x better than Cars 2 :D can't wait to see it

Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:20 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Algren wrote:
Jack Sparrow wrote:
This is domestic club right?

By now you really shouldn't be asking this question. If there is no mention of "overseas", "Intl", "worldwide" etc., and the poster is American, you can quite confidently assume it is the US gross (which is the only gross referred to as domestic for some reason).

Yeah my comment was follow-up to insane predictions by Brian.

Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:55 pm
Superman: The Movie

I feel like there should be a lot more excitement three days out. I don't see it, but I hope I'm wrong, especially if it's good (and I'm one of the few who actually likes Cars 2).

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:50 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Well its on MT so that's the excitement there :P

Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:44 am
now we know

Jmart wrote:
I feel like there should be a lot more excitement three days out.

It is a children's film. Unless you work with children or have a bunch of children at home, you probably wouldn't see the excitement. I fine children's films are always stealthy over-performers.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:18 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

yeah big fail. At least it is considered an improvement quality wise over 2. Hope it gets some decent legs

Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:01 pm
Hold the door!

Theoretically it's not a big fail. It could hit 170 million pretty easily. And it can hit 190 if it matched Dory's legs.

Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:29 pm
Defeats all expectations

So far, it's been a big failure. OD was down 24% from Cars 2. Its Friday-to-previews ratio of 7.0 was lower than Minions' 7.4.

Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:56 pm

Algren wrote:
Jmart wrote:
I feel like there should be a lot more excitement three days out.

It is a children's film. Unless you work with children or have a bunch of children at home, you probably wouldn't see the excitement. I fine children's films are always stealthy over-performers.

Or not.

Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:11 pm
Profile WWW

zwackerm wrote:
Theoretically it's not a big fail. It could hit 170 million pretty easily. And it can hit 190 if it matched Dory's legs.

That's not happening. Here's what I noticed doing trailer checks for Cars 3 - Its audience is strictly families. Other Pixar movies or movies like this that go on to do mammoth numbers always bring in families, but they bring in at least a little of every demographic as well. For Cars 3 the age range of 13-34 is pretty much nonexistent, and those that are 26-34 are young parents bringing their kids. No excitement from them going in and it's no surprise that they didn't show up.

Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:25 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Jmart wrote:
zwackerm wrote:

That's not happening. Here's what I noticed doing trailer checks for Cars 3 - Its audience is strictly families. Other Pixar movies or movies like this that go on to do mammoth numbers always bring in families, but they bring in at least a little of every demographic as well. For Cars 3 the age range of 13-34 is pretty much nonexistent, and those that are 26-34 are young parents bringing their kids. No excitement from them going in and it's no surprise that they didn't show up.

Kids films are still leggy generally.

Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:30 pm
Indiana Jones IV

what this movie needed was room to breathe. Since the opening weekend might have been muted thanks to people hesitant because of Cars 2 and thus needed room to have legs. But they stupidly scheduled it two weeks before DM3

Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:07 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

zwackerm wrote:
Jmart wrote:
zwackerm wrote:

But not the case with Cars 2 which did a decent but below 3 multiplier. I just don't see this one getting better legs with DM3 and in general Planes diluting the brand. Its still a respectable number, just not good enough.

Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:34 pm
Hold the door!

Jack Sparrow wrote:
zwackerm wrote:
Jmart wrote:
zwackerm wrote:

But not the case with Cars 2 which did a decent but below 3 multiplier. I just don't see this one getting better legs with DM3 and in general Planes diluting the brand. Its still a respectable number, just not good enough.

Cars 2 had really bad buzz. It dropped 60% week 2. Cars 3 has nowhere near the toxic WOM that had.

Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:57 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

But this one opened $13m lesser so clearly the buzz on this one isn't as HIGH as the last one. Plus I don't think the reviews are great enough for it to bring in new audience even though it might not have the toxic WOM of the last one. There is slight room to grow from last one because of the WoM but its not suddenly going to perform like a leggy movie.

Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:27 am
Hold the door!

Jack Sparrow wrote:
But this one opened $13m lesser so clearly the buzz on this one isn't as HIGH as the last one. Plus I don't think the reviews are great enough for it to bring in new audience even though it might not have the toxic WOM of the last one. There is slight room to grow from last one because of the WoM but its not suddenly going to perform like a leggy movie.

I don't think it's too much to ask for a .3 increase in multiplier. Saying it can't possibly have better legs than Cars 2 is retarded

Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:29 am
The Kramer

Cars 2 had bad buzz, Cars 3 has apathy. With Transformers, Despicable Me and Spider-Man all serving as direct competition in the next few weeks it's going to die very quickly.

Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:55 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

zwackerm wrote:
Jack Sparrow wrote:

I don't think it's too much to ask for a .3 increase in multiplier. Saying it can't possibly have better legs than Cars 2 is retarded

I didn't say it can't, just the opposite actually (read the comment: There is slight room to grow). What is that .3 increase in multiplier that you are talking about? Is it from Cars 2 or Dory? .3 could be a big ask actually, its not as easy to get that in terms of multiplier. With a multiplier same as Cars 2 it gets to $155m, with the increased multiplier of .3 it reaches $171m, in none of those cases it gets to $190m that you initially mentioned. I think it can cross $160m (with a multiplier of 3) but don't see it crossing $190m or passing TBB and TLBM.

You also have to consider the competition ahead that targets the exact demos Cars franchise attracts. It won't drop as big as Cars 2 but it certainly won't have enough time to get those weekday boost with Transformers opening so close to it. Cars 3 still needs to cover-up for that $13m deficit even with better holds.

Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:56 pm
now we know

The first teaser was better than anything I'd seen from this franchise so far, but that's it. I don't think anybody thought it would really do big numbers. Glad this club failed.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:55 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

I hope zwackerm doesn't think it will leg its way now, specially with DM3 opening soon.

Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:39 pm
Indiana Jones IV

whoever decided on this release date was a moron

Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:58 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Absolutely. There is just no time for it to stabilize but Pixar movies have done great and held well in face of competition though Cars history being iffy they should have released this a week earlier.

Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2