Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 327 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next
 The Lion King (live-action) over 750m domestic club 
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: The Lion King (live-action) over 750m domestic club
More backlash potential for Disney? They cast a shit ton of black actors, and if they're willing to toy with SJW-ness in Star Wars of all things I have to think they wouldn't mind it here

Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:51 am
Indiana Jones IV

I know it's still real early with this club, but I'm feeling it. I kind of wish I'd done 700m, of course.

Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:37 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Shack wrote:
More backlash potential for Disney? They cast a shit ton of black actors, and if they're willing to toy with SJW-ness in Star Wars of all things I have to think they wouldn't mind it here

After Black Panther, now it seems like the black factor could help it if anything

Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:39 pm
Top Poster

Going to wait on the first Trailer before committing one way or another but right now I'm out. 650 max is my current highest level projection.

Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:30 pm
Romosexual!

They need to release that opening scene they showed during D23 already to the rest of us!!!

Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:09 pm
Extraordinary

No way. Films don’t gross 700 just willy nilly

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:40 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

^ Yep agreed. Its not easy to break past $600m much less $700m. TLK is a good contender to do it but that's a HUGE steep from BatB which already did $500m+ I think TLK can do $600m-$650m but $750m is too much of an ask. I'm OUT.

Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:31 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

The big question IMO is if Aladdin coming out 2 months earlier helps or hinders TLK. I still can't believe that Disney is opening them in the same Summer.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:47 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

If that happens that will indeed be stupid.

Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:21 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Disney wants to try and deliver their classics like they do with Marvel movies aka 2-3 movies an year but I feel that is going to backfire. I just cannot imagine having all of them coming in the same year.

Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:44 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

I still think there's a chance this has major backlash against it. It's essentially going to be a CGI remake. With no humans in the story what could possibly be 'live action' about it other than CGI lions and stuff in what I assume will be actual African landscapes? We might even get some uncanny valley effect.

I know Jungle Book worked, but that had a human Mowgli to anchor things. Here we are going to staring into Simba's CGI eyes the whole time.

I'm going to wait until the first trailer to make any predictions.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:44 am
Extraordinary

Disney's two most iconic animated films and commercially successful admissions wise during the 1990's should NOT be opening so close to each other.

For reference, TLK made it to #4 of all time. Aladdin to #12. Both films were at one time Disney's #1 films of all time as a studio.

At the same time, TLK adjusts to $800 m +. BATB was at $416 m adjusted and the re-imaging did $504 m. TLK is in a whole other stratosphere in terms of iconic films for a generation, as the peak of Disney animation for that time period, like Snow White 60 years earlier. A SW Ep. 7 type run would not shock me.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:51 am
Profile WWW
Speed Racer

In. I would be in even if it was a 1 billion domestic club.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:19 am
Profile WWW
Full Fledged Member

The naysayers on this are delusional. I don't think some of you realize how beloved The Lion King is. And by that I mean, not just that millennials have nostalgic memories of watching it when they were kids; they now as even as adults actively enjoy the movie itself. It's not just "beloved" or "nostalgic;" it's actually still considered cool. And why shouldn't it be? It's a movie about fucking lions fighting each other with mature, dark themes of regicide, fratricide, and revenge, and even the tender-hearted stuff still works. Most grown men now like to pretend they weren't part of the stampede that watched Titanic (again and again) but nobody is ashamed to admit that Mufasa's death still jerks the tears. This is going to be an Avengers-level pop-culture event with everyone bringing their kids, too. This movie is going to be a juggernaut.

Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:44 pm
Romosexual!

225-250m OW
750-900m domestic
1b - 1.5b international
1.75b - 2.4b worldwide

Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:33 pm
now we know

Ludovician wrote:
The naysayers on this are delusional. I don't think some of you realize how beloved The Lion King is. And by that I mean, not just that millennials have nostalgic memories of watching it when they were kids; they now as even as adults actively enjoy the movie itself. It's not just "beloved" or "nostalgic;" it's actually still considered cool.

Wouldn't that also be a negative for the film? People loving the original...boycotting the remake?

Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:25 pm
Profile WWW
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Algren wrote:
Ludovician wrote:
The naysayers on this are delusional. I don't think some of you realize how beloved The Lion King is. And by that I mean, not just that millennials have nostalgic memories of watching it when they were kids; they now as even as adults actively enjoy the movie itself. It's not just "beloved" or "nostalgic;" it's actually still considered cool.

Wouldn't that also be a negative for the film? People loving the original...boycotting the remake?

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. In fact I think the overwhelming reaction when the trailer comes out will be "why did they have to remake with CGI animals??". Disney's greed is already starting to backfire (Solo) and I hope it continues.

Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:35 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Barrabás wrote:
Algren wrote:
Ludovician wrote:

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. In fact I think the overwhelming reaction when the trailer comes out will be "why did they have to remake with CGI animals??". Disney's greed is already starting to backfire (Solo) and I hope it continues.

Dude I was hoping the same thing for Beauty & the Beast. Why remake a perfect film? But people ate that shit up and then ate some more.

Enter Lion King. THE most beloved and cherished. They're gonna make it look hella pretty and mind blowing. They've got the dopest black actors to voice the characters. People are going to lose their tits over this movie. That first trailer is going to make everybody's prostate quiver with submissive acceptance. You have to give Disney your money for this one bro, it's not even an option.

Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:51 pm
now we know

But 'animated to live-action' is different from 'animated to CGI'. The latter just feels like a remake rather than a live-action adaptation, and I think that distinction might stop it from being another Beauty and the Beast.

Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:58 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Steve wrote:
They've got the dopest black actors to voice the characters.

Hopefully the SJW crowd tears the film a new one, suggesting that black actors are animals.

Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:00 am
Profile WWW
Romosexual!

Algren wrote:
Ludovician wrote:

No!

Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:09 am
Forum General

I wish we got to see some footage from this already, but considering how far out it is I doubt they are in any rush. I am very curious to see what those trailer views look like, but it should be HUGE.

Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:45 am
Dont Mess with the Gez

A teaser trailer with Mary Poppins? Or could it be as soon as Christopher Robin?

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:16 am
now we know

Rev wrote:
Algren wrote:
Ludovician wrote:

No!

Did you change your mind about The Lion King not being Star Wars? ;)

Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:42 am
Profile WWW
Full Fledged Member

Barrabás wrote:
Algren wrote:

So you think the gut reaction to a gorgeously-rendered CG version of this (among many other badass, iconic moments) is going to be "No, they're destroying a classic!" ?

Pass me some of that.

Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:58 am
Reply to topic   [ 327 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next