Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 "10 Cloverfield Lane" Predictions 
Forum General

Post Re: "10 Cloverfield Lane" Predictions
lesterg wrote:
While it shouldn't be surprising given that the film has already been delayed a year, there are reports that Paramount might be selling off the third Cloverfield movie to Netflix.

I'm curious whether it would maintain the branding or if they'd switch it back to God Particle to protect the name.

Sounds like a mess IMO. If those rumors are true than that means the studio doesn't have much faith in its quality which is a shame considering the potential this brand had. Paramount could also use a few more hits and while I understand that 10 Cloverfield Lane wasn't some blockbuster success it was still a pretty damn profitable film for them.

Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:44 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Dil wrote:
lesterg wrote:
While it shouldn't be surprising given that the film has already been delayed a year, there are reports that Paramount might be selling off the third Cloverfield movie to Netflix.

I'm curious whether it would maintain the branding or if they'd switch it back to God Particle to protect the name.

Sounds like a mess IMO. If those rumors are true than that means the studio doesn't have much faith in its quality which is a shame considering the potential this brand had. Paramount could also use a few more hits and while I understand that 10 Cloverfield Lane wasn't some blockbuster success it was still a pretty damn profitable film for them.

The Hollywood Reporter piece says that Gianopulos is being pretty ruthless in terms of shedding projects that don't work, which is exactly what he needs to be doing. Abrams was going to try to salvage God Particle in post, but that it was "too little too late" and he has too much on his plate going forward.

It's a shame because I really enjoyed the first two films in the series, but maybe selling this (hopefully without the Cloverfield branding) is a far better option that releasing something that could damage the franchise going forward.

Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:06 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Dil wrote:
which is a shame considering the potential this brand had.

Really? What potential? Ok, I get that they are relatively cheap, but they are not huge grossers. Any horror film is cheap too, and can just as easily catch on. And this "brand" is in a risky situation because they're not really shooting films with the intention of being Cloverfield sequels. They're doing patch jobs. And Cloverfield only made $80m, and Lane dropped to $72m even with 8 years of inflation behind it. That doesn't show potential. That shows audience shrinkage. I think it's a great decision to offload it all to Netflix.

Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:27 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

72m (110ww) on a 15m budget is pretty solid though. Definitely worth doing more.

Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:08 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

And it's also Paramount we're talking about. Cloverfield is a valuable franchise considering the rest of their slate.

Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:06 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

This would be a pretty high-profile pickup for Netflix even if the film itself is a bit of a mess.

Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:02 pm
now we know

lesterg wrote:
72m (110ww) on a 15m budget is pretty solid though. Definitely worth doing more.

Which turns out at about $25-30m profit. Eh, Paramount are in a dire situation. They need larger hits.

Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:42 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

I agree Cloverfield movies aren't huge grossers for Paramount and that with every new sequel the budget is mostly going to increase (because of the brand name) whereas the returns would stay constant or decrease.

Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:08 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Cloverfield Paradox isn't bad, but I can fully understand why Paramount wasn't bullish on it's box office potential. You can tell it's been cut to hell in an effort to save it (the opening credits, which play over what looks like deleted scenes are real weird) That last shot, though...killer.

I'm going to assume that it's all but impossible for the franchise to return to theatrical at this point, so can we expect the recently-completed Cloverfield 4 on Netflix by the fall?

Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:08 pm
Profile WWW
llegó a la casa vía marítima

How soon before Paramount ends as a traditional movie studio and their entire future line up is released on Netflix or Amazon?

The only surefire hit they have right now is Mission Impossible, and I can't be the only one rolling my eyes at yet another one of those.

Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:59 pm
Forum General

Yeah I can definitely see why the newest movie got the Netflix treatment. Had it gone to theaters I'm sure general audiences would have hated it as they already seem to do judging by the reactions on twitter. I'm sure the next movie will be no different, and while I know I'll see it they probably need to start actually connecting these movies and give the fans what they want which is a proper sequel. I don't know if its because of JJ or budget problems, but I still want a real Cloverfield movie.

Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:30 pm
Indiana Jones IV

I just don't understand why on Earth Netflix paid 50m for this. Paramount is in the weakest negotiation position possible, no idea why they're agree to such a shit deal (50m + Paramount retains China and home video...for a film that isn't very good).

Did they get 50m of buzz out of it? I'm doubtful.

Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:20 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

lesterg wrote:
I just don't understand why on Earth Netflix paid 50m for this. Paramount is in the weakest negotiation position possible, no idea why they're agree to such a shit deal (50m + Paramount retains China and home video...for a film that isn't very good).

Did they get 50m of buzz out of it? I'm doubtful.

Completely agree. That seems like one heck of a price tag for a troubled property.

Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:39 pm
Indiana Jones IV

I think 50m for worldwide rights to Paradox AND Overlord (which I believe is in the 10-15m range ala Cloverfield Lane...and supposedly testing well) would have been an decent deal. 50m for a damaged movie and no right to future installments is crazytown. I don't get it.

Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:46 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

They gave Dave Chappelle more than that for a few stand up specials. Netflix has piles of cash and they don’t know what to do with it. Whether you liked the movie or not, the stealth release stunt is brilliant marketing. Much better than any trailer that Paramount could have came up with.

I hope they get Cloverlord too.

Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:32 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Magnus wrote:
Probably got more out of it than they would have spending 50m on their own original content that no one is gonna see or talk about (like War Machine).

I agree with that. It was a big topic of conversation on Sunday night.

However, I maintain that Netflix was in the position of power here (Paramount is desperate) and they probably could have done a better deal. I'm sure Paramount would have gone to HULU, Amazon, etc. but I don't see any of them ponying up that kind of cash.

I'm genuinely shocked the deal didn't include Overlord/future Cloverfield pictures.

Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:07 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

I didn't realize Netflix had so much cash just laying around.

Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:36 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

That does sound insane pricing. I'm not sure why Netflix decided to spend so much money.

Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:45 pm
Indiana Jones IV

What the hell, Netflix? This is one weird niche (acquiring unwanted sci-fi pictures from other studios) to get into:

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/netfl ... 202692114/

I read this script awhile back and I'm not at all surprised it didn't turn out well. There's a cool twist at the end, though.

Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:16 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

It also says they only got the international rights for Annihilation. I thought they were gonna get it 3 weeks after theaters.

Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:54 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Yep, just overseas. As far as I know it'll go to EPIX (and Hulu/Amazon Prime as they carry EPIX content) long after it hits video.

Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:16 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3