Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 "10 Cloverfield Lane" Predictions 
Wallflower

Post "10 Cloverfield Lane" Predictions

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/33767 ... dy-filmed/

Bootleg of the trailer attached to 13 Hours right now. How they managed to keep this movie quiet is beyond me. Already opens March 11th. I'm excited. I think it will open 20-22 Million. Very cool teaser trailer. Great cast. Nice to see John Gallagher, Jr. in another movie. Loved him in Short Term 12. And the guy who wrote Whiplash co-wrote it. I have a very good feeling about this movie.

Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:04 am
Pure Phase

Post Re: "10 Cloverfield Lane" Predictions
They did not keep it quiet per se. John Goodman signing on to a J. J. Abrams-produced post-apocalyptic suspense film called Valencia (or The Cellar) was reported in the trade papers, etc., etc.

Anyway, I am very unsure how to predict this one. Where does Cloverfield stand with the public in 2016? I for one love it. I find it completely intense even on the small screen, and its creative brain trust has found a great deal of success in recent years: Matt Reeves with Dawn of the Planet of the Apes; Drew Goddard with The Cabin in the Woods and Netflix's Daredevil; and, of course, Abrams.

But people in general, I am not so sure how it is regarded today. Is it just a dim memory? Weren't many disappointed relative to the mystery and hype?

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:13 am
I heet the canadian!

WTF! So random. I guess they learned their lesson about the hype dissipating somewhat between the first teaser and the release of the first movie.

Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:19 am
I heet the canadian!

David wrote:
But people in general, I am not so sure how it is regarded today. Is it just a dim memory? Weren't many disappointed relative to the mystery and hype?
I seem to recall a lot of negativity towards the film, mainly in regards to its ending (probably understandable, given how grim and abrupt it is) which would be consistent with its infamously bad legs. It's the first major release I can recall missing a 2.0 multiplier.

Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:22 am
Wallflower

Fair enough. But they did keep quiet that it had anything to do with Cloverfield. And it's so different that I'm not sure how much any connection to that film will matter either way. If anything brand recognition would help it I think.

Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:24 am
Wallflower

Biggestgeekever wrote:
David wrote:
I seem to recall a lot of negativity towards the film, mainly in regards to its ending (probably understandable, given how grim and abrupt it is) which would be consistent with its infamously bad legs. It's the first major release I can recall missing a 2.0 multiplier.

It's weird. I know of a lot of mainstream moviegoers hating it. But it feels like now I'm aware of more people that really liked/loved it.

Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:25 am
On autopilot for the summer

I'd be down. Leagues better than Godzilla. I think losing found footage and having Goodman adds a lot. Obviously the hype will be much lower

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:46 am
Dont Mess with the Gez

Cloverfield was one of my favourite films of 2008. Absolutely loved it. Top notch talent involved. Though doesnt seem to have resonated with general auds all that much. A $30/$70m type performance is probably as good as it gets.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:42 am
---------

Nice - this looks great! I'm totally down for it - especially since it's not handheld camera-based, which made a lot of people sick/annoyed during the first one.

Though if this is the official trailer, it's quite brilliant and hilarious that the trailer is being filmed by a handheld camera.

Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:43 am
now we know

Well it's obviously after the original and some survivors are living in a bunker. Looks meh.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:48 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Is John Goodman playing the monster?

Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:46 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

I really enjoyed Cloverfield, so I'm excited we are finally going back to that world after so many years. However, that movie isn't exactly remembered fondly among mainstream audiences and it's been so long since the original that you can't help but think do people even still care ? It'll have a solid opening because the hardcore fans will rush out and there is a curiosity factor, but after OW this will completely die.

23/40

Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:52 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

I feel like Cloverfield is way more highly regarded now than when it was released. I don't know anyone who dislikes it and when it came out I remember the hate for it being defeaning.

Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:56 am
Profile YIM
Wallflower

thompsoncory wrote:
I feel like Cloverfield is way more highly regarded now than when it was released. I don't know anyone who dislikes it and when it came out I remember the hate for it being defeaning.

Agreed. I think more people have grown to appreciate it.

Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:11 pm
"no rank"

I don't know, I think it really depends on if the film is actually any good. It sounds like a cutesy short stretched to feature length. People in a bunker, they think it was some sort of chemical/terrorist attack, turns out it was monsters all along.

Of course there are already plenty of theories online that the "Cloverfield" in the title is just the Bad Robot version of Twilight Zone and it will have no real connection to the 2008 film, at least in terms of storyline.

Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:11 pm
now we know

I feel like Cloverfield has been largely forgotten.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:22 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

From Reddit
Quote:
It was unfinished for a long time because this movie was originally part of Paramount's Insurge Division(source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/p ... rge-783745), which was a sector of Paramount devoted to low budget films made for 5 million or less. The Insurge divison collapsed and folded up and this film(when it was originally called Valencia) was caught in limbo with no studio home. Eventually it was grabbed up by Paramount again and new scenes were written in by Dan Casey to connect the film to the Cloverfield universe so it would actually make some money in theaters. Those new scenes/reshoots were shot in in March 2015 and they've spent the last year editing and adding effects. I'm starting to get a real funny feeling about this film the more and more I dig around. The original script, the fact that none of the original Cloverfield crew are involved(aside from JJ), and the fact that Paramount is releasing a film with a 5 million dollar budget in IMAX, is beginning to seem like a big cash grab for Paramount to make a few quick bucks off of an orphaned movie that they bought up. Here's some more info about the film in its original state: http://logins.specscout.com/homepage.ph ... &sp_id=287
https://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comment ... ed/cyz2f22

This pretty much explains it.

Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:35 pm
"no rank"

I don't know if that's genius or horrific. I guess both.

Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:09 pm
now we know

It's a great idea if that background info stays in the dark. Once the critics and industry know, then the negativity surrounds it, and it has no chance. Plus, it is most likely a shit film considering its path.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:20 pm
Profile WWW
"no rank"

I feel like there's a history of turning normal productions into connected sequels, especially with action/adventure films in the 80s/90s. But those instances were all early on in the production, like producers would option a book and turn it into a sequel to _____. I can't recall it ever happening after filming.

Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:40 pm
The Kramer

Saw 2 is a good example of when it works. I wish they had taken that approach with the rest of the franchise.

Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:49 pm
Extraordinary

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
Saw 2 is a good example of when it works. I wish they had taken that approach with the rest of the franchise.

Take one of the director's spec scripts and graft Jigsaw scenes onto it?

Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:09 pm
I heet the canadian!

Dil wrote:
From Reddit
Quote:
It was unfinished for a long time because this movie was originally part of Paramount's Insurge Division(source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/p ... rge-783745), which was a sector of Paramount devoted to low budget films made for 5 million or less. The Insurge divison collapsed and folded up and this film(when it was originally called Valencia) was caught in limbo with no studio home. Eventually it was grabbed up by Paramount again and new scenes were written in by Dan Casey to connect the film to the Cloverfield universe so it would actually make some money in theaters. Those new scenes/reshoots were shot in in March 2015 and they've spent the last year editing and adding effects. I'm starting to get a real funny feeling about this film the more and more I dig around. The original script, the fact that none of the original Cloverfield crew are involved(aside from JJ), and the fact that Paramount is releasing a film with a 5 million dollar budget in IMAX, is beginning to seem like a big cash grab for Paramount to make a few quick bucks off of an orphaned movie that they bought up. Here's some more info about the film in its original state: http://logins.specscout.com/homepage.ph ... &sp_id=287
https://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comment ... ed/cyz2f22

This pretty much explains it.
This speculation runs counter to what Abrams said about the production:
Quote:
“The idea came up a long time ago during production. We wanted to make it a blood relative of Cloverfield. The idea was developed over time. We wanted to hold back the title for as long as possible.”

Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:16 pm
Defeats all expectations

I don't know. The trailer has nothing remotely resembling Cloverfield.

Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:33 pm
"no rank"

I guess that makes JJ a fuckin' liar doesn't it.

Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next