Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 so... how much would a Game of Thrones film open with? 
The Wall

Post Re: so... how much would a Game of Thrones film open with?
Yeah I agree with Chippy. I could see HBO offering the possibility to view the movie in theater at the same time it airs on TV. That would also earn them lots of extra $$$.

Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:46 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

_axiom wrote:
Yeah I agree with Chippy. I could see HBO offering the possibility to view the movie in theater at the same time it airs on TV. That would also earn them lots of extra $$$.

This... might not be a bad idea. Late night Sunday showings at like 7PM/10PM could make them BANK.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:49 am
You must have big rats

To bring this back up...I know this will not happen. But hypothetically, if the series finale were to be a theatrical feature, how big do you think could it be? It is the one show that seriously grew in hype and viewership from season to season and we all know that it has not reached its peak yet.

Back in summer 2016 I called the proposed $100+ million opening ridiculous. I think I'd take that back. With proper hype a warp-up film featuring an all-out battle between the walkers and the Seven Kingdoms would make $110-120 million opening weekend (and be insanely frontloaded).

Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:17 pm
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

Yeah it would be a huge event.

A 2.5-3 hour epic conclusion to the biggest and most talked about show in the world would open to $100m. That would only require 10-12m people to go see it which is less than half the number that watch the show each week. I'd say thats the floor.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:13 pm
now we know

Are those global viewing figures you're referring to? Because according to this, the peak is actually 12m (the series finale). Average viewership is actually 10m. And not all of those will attend opening weekend. I think it would not be as big as you guys are saying. One reason viewership is so high is because it's TV, and you don't have to do anything but use the remote to watch it.

If you do not watch the show, you won't attend the film. It's that simple. I think total US gross would be around $120m.

Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:16 am
Profile WWW
Begging Naked

Jonathan wrote:
Quote:
Game of Thrones ratings have reached new heights in season 6.

U.S. viewership of the HBO fantasy hit have now surpassed 23 million viewers episode when all forms of viewing are counted (that’s originals, repeats, DVR and streaming).

Even with the season not yet finished and data still incomplete, that tally is up 15 percent from season 5, which was the show’s previous record holder.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/06/23/ga ... -readstory

And as I said back in October, these numbers aren't even counting the number of people that consume the show through non-HBO means, of which I am sure there are many.

Granted, a movie is looking less likely now that the creators have said that they're doing a 7-episode seventh season and a 6-episode eighth season, but I still think that a grand finale theatrical movie would wreck the hell out of the box office its opening weekend. It would be hella frontloaded, but a $50+ million opening day honestly wouldn't surprise me.

That was in June 2016 - last August, HBO said that the 7th season, across all official HBO platforms, averaged 30.6 million viewers an episode. I would now say that a hypothetical GoT movie that was basically a series finale would do over $65 million opening day - albeit while having one of the harshest opening day multipliers of all time, but it would still make something like $250 million domestically.

Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:29 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Those figures include repeats and streaming. Repeats is useless as it could easily be the same people as who saw the original, and streaming is difficult to extrapolate to box office because you can stream at any time you want - you can't see a film at the cinema any time you want. Streaming is perfect for people that do not fit into the normal daily routine that most people follow, hence it is difficult to use those figures for predicting box office, especially opening weekend box office.

Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:08 am
Profile WWW
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

Algren wrote:
Are those global viewing figures you're referring to? Because according to this, the peak is actually 12m (the series finale). Average viewership is actually 10m. And not all of those will attend opening weekend. I think it would not be as big as you guys are saying. One reason viewership is so high is because it's TV, and you don't have to do anything but use the remote to watch it.

If you do not watch the show, you won't attend the film. It's that simple. I think total US gross would be around $120m.

You have to take into account the piracy downloads and a huge chunk of people watching it on HBO Go. True enough you may argue that people will just pirate the film but it will be from someone else's cell phone unlike the pirated high defination tv quality.

I think it would have broken the R rated opening. Still there might be a possibility of a movie depends on how they will carry it when the show ends.

Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:20 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

As a 'series finale' event?

$70-$80m OW followed by huge drops and ending with about $130m-$140m total. But probably over $400m overseas, even $500m. OS audiences seem less discerning about whether or not its totally accessible to new audiences, it's more about brand name, and Game of Thrones is arguably the biggest brand name in fantasy since LOTR/Harry Potter.

Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:22 am
Extraordinary

So... this probably won't happen for a looong time but I feel sometime down the line, it'll happen. And it'll be massive.

It's not like the general public will say this will ruin the series lol

Tue May 21, 2019 11:53 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

Yeah despite the numerous prequels they are planning - I can easily see a major feature film happening.

Perhaps Princess and the Queen with all the politics, murder, dragon fights would fit best. Could even stretch it out to two/three films when including other material (from Fire and Blood).

Robert's Rebellion could also work because the characters will be familiar to most but it doesnt offer anything new.

Or - with the way they ended the show they could very well do a sequel and bring it direct to the big screen.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Wed May 22, 2019 1:51 am
Veteran

If all 12m viewers saw the finale on OW that gets you $100m+. Best to promote it as a 1 week limited release. HBO was concerned they would be betraying their subscribers if they made it widely available.

I was blind, but now I see.

Thu May 23, 2019 11:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3