Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Netflix/VOD Thread 
Pure Phase

Post Re: Netflix/VOD Thread - Adam Sandler to do 4 movies for Net
It will receive much more attention with this unique release versus a traditional theatrical roll-out, which I suspect would have netted it a number similar to Idris Elba's Mandela biopic ($8,323,085).

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:37 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

Jedi Master Carr wrote:
I don't see this getting any Oscars. It will be tougher for Netflix with Oscars. I could see them ruling films made by them ineligible.

Huh? I don't see how they could do that.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:32 am
now we know

45,037,125 Netflix accounts watched Bird Box in its first 7 days. This is the best ever for a Netflix film. I couldn't even start to adjust this to a dollar amount, but it's going to be a lot.

Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:31 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

Give Sandra Bullock the Adam Sandler deal. Hope she’d accept.

We’ll get infinitely better product.

Loved Bird Box. That and Bandersnatch. Team Netflix is on a roll.

I think I’m the only one still using the dvd service religiously.

I was blind, but now I see.

Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:05 pm
Keeping it Light

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/12/28/media/bird-box-netflix-viewers/index.html

Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:24 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Chippy wrote:
The only way for Netflix to make a dent in the movie business is to... Make their own movies. Become their own movie studio.

Welp.

https://collider.com/beverly-hills-cop-4-netflix/

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:10 pm
Forum General

Post Re: Netflix/VOD Thread
With Disney+ here, going to be interesting watching the streaming wars. Data suggests people are resistant to spending more than $40 on all their services and Netflix has stated they have no plans to lower prices.

Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:19 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

LOL Disney+ isn't going to win because it's cheaper. Because there is no way that price will be sustainable if they keep wanting to make original content.

Sure, Disney already has 10 mil subscribers... but Netflix has 158 mil. Hell, HBO has 34 mil. Amazon says they have 100 mil, but how many of the Prime member actually use the video service? 50% would be shocking to me.

And Disney + is only projecting 90 mil by 2024. By then Netflix might touch 200 mil if they keep this pace.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:26 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

More options than cable. I think I have... 3? TV choices in my area. With streaming, I can choose from almost a dozen different services.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:36 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Magnus wrote:
A. The cable business is anti-capitalistic. I would agree that this is better than that but both are bad.

B. The number of options isn’t the sole determinant of whether a market or industry is anti capitalist.

B. Never said it was. But it's not like Netflix is buying up other streaming services for a bigger market share. They just got here first.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:14 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

lol ok, whatever you say

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:22 pm
Homo Dperious

Chippy wrote:
LOL Disney+ isn't going to win because it's cheaper. Because there is no way that price will be sustainable if they keep wanting to make original content.

Sure, Disney already has 10 mil subscribers... but Netflix has 158 mil. Hell, HBO has 34 mil. Amazon says they have 100 mil, but how many of the Prime member actually use the video service? 50% would be shocking to me.

And Disney + is only projecting 90 mil by 2024. By then Netflix might touch 200 mil if they keep this pace.

If they get 90m that will add up to close to $7 billion a year. They don’t need as much content as Netflix.

Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:43 pm
Profile ICQ
Devil's Advocate

Netflix isn't actually good at making or marketing TV shows. Their only way of success is to make so many that not all of them can fail. I would guess in the long run that if almost their entire library is original shows, it won't work.

Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:50 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Netflix has just acquired the rights for Beverly Hills Cop 4 with an option for 5 if it proves a success.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:34 pm
Devil's Advocate

Magnus wrote:
Shack wrote:
Netflix isn't actually good at making or marketing TV shows. Their only way of success is to make so many that not all of them can fail. I would guess in the long run that if almost their entire library is original shows, it won't work.

Netflix doesn’t have to have great marketing other than put their titles on their homepage. The homepage and recommendation list IS their marketing.

In terms of quality of original content, that has been irrelevant for a while despite what people want to believe. Most people binge older shows on streaming platforms (it’s not a shock that The Simpsons is the #1 title already at D+). Original content is needed to fill out the spaces and to satisfy niche audiences and producing mass content basically accomplished that. If you spend billions on dozens and dozens of shows, you’ll manage to make a library of content where any one consumer can find a couple of shows or movies that fulfill their basic entertainment needs without having to be of high quality.

I do agree that if Netflix has issues with licensing it can lead to their downfall. But I don’t see that happening.

I don't necessary mean quality. I personally think almost all their shows stink (I even hate ones like the Crown and Masters of None) but they get good reviews, so I guess my opinion doesn't matter. I mean in terms of actually creating hits they're not actually skilled at it. They just spend more money than everyone else so by odds alone they fall backwards into a hit once in a while. They put out over 30 scripted dramas or comedies this year while the major networks have put out like 5. If you gave a channel like NBC 30 chances with oversized Netflix budgets and less handcuffs censorship wise they would almost definitely have more hits than Netflix.

Netflix's main page does a lot of the marketing for them, but I still think they're inept in that department and it hurts them. A lot of their shows nobody knows exists due to their weak marketing, and I never feel like a Netflix show is a "blockbuster release" with a lot of anticipation leading up to it. You don't see Netflix putting all their weight behind a show such as the upcoming Henry Cavill wannabe LOTR show The Witcher and treating it like "this is our blockbuster and the next Game of Thrones". It makes me think they don't know what people will like or won't like until it comes out. The advantage being if the Witcher is terrible instead of it being an embarrassment to their brand they will just quietly bury it

As for their non originals library it is unsustainable as their competitors who want to beat Netflix are taking back their shows and starting their own streaming services. They are losing Friends and The Office and had to overpay for Seinfeld to compensate for it, which is still a valuable asset but not sure if it will translate as well to next generation like Friends has and they had to pay a shitload for it. Seinfeld was only available because it had a unique ownership with Jerry, Larry David, etc. having parts of it, while most of the other shows had no chance of hitting the market for real since they're owned by a company that has plans to launch a new streaming service

Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:40 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

idk, I've seen tons of ads for Witcher, and they've already greenlit a 2nd season. And Stranger Things is freaking everywhere every summer.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:55 am
Forum General

I'll remain a Netflix customer for awhile, but so much on there is garbage. They do a pretty good job with trailers on their original movies, but I've lost count on how many of those I never finish. They like to play the quantity card in an increasingly fragmented landscape. Digging through trash for a gem isn't worth the effort when you have other options.

Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:08 pm
Forum General

Magnus wrote:
Until Netflix gets strict about account access there’s little reason to cut it. I share my Netflix with seven people so even at $20 a month it’s enough value. But if I only had access I would have cancelled a while ago.

From what I've read, they are exploring ways to combat account sharing. From a technical standpoint, I don't see how they can effectively do so. Locking accounts to IP addresses won't work when you can watch Netflix on mobile devices, etc.

Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:54 pm
Defeats all expectations

Magnus wrote:
Until Netflix gets strict about account access there’s little reason to cut it. I share my Netflix with seven people so even at $20 a month it’s enough value. But if I only had access I would have cancelled a while ago.

Isn't there a max of two concurrent streams restriction?

Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2